• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BinaryBoris

On YouTube: "NotAGunGuy"
    Jan 6, 2015
    Well, just when I thought having two K-31's was enough, I got sucked into AIM Surplus' recent ad of a "very limited and fine" number of K-31's. I currently have a 1941 in a walnut stock and a 1963 private series in beech. The 1941 has a St. Marie clamp on scope … so in my warped logic I figured I needed a completely stock (no scope) K-31 in a walnut stock (even though the scope comes right off).

AIM has them for $329, which I realize is at the top of the market price right now. I also paid an extra $20 hand select to get the earliest serial number (aka oldest) they had in stock.

Am I nuts for paying $350+S/H for a 3rd K31? I keep getting the sense that we are nearing the end of K-31 import availability. Combined with an increased awareness of how incredibly well-built and accurate these rifles are, I can only imagine their value will continue to rise.

donw@fyi.net

Mar 20, 2014
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I gave up long ago

Rationalize if you must. But sooner or later one just gives into the addiction or seeks counseling.:D

Well, just when I thought having two K-31's was enough, I got sucked into AIM Surplus' recent ad of a "very limited and fine" number of K-31's. I currently have a 1941 in a walnut stock and a 1963 private series in beech. The 1941 has a St. Marie clamp on scope … so in my warped logic I figured I needed a completely stock (no scope) K-31 in a walnut stock (even though the scope comes right off).

AIM has them for $329, which I realize is at the top of the market price right now. I also paid an extra $20 hand select to get the earliest serial number (aka oldest) they had in stock.

Am I nuts for paying $350+S/H for a 3rd K31? I keep getting the sense that we are nearing the end of K-31 import availability. Combined with an increased awareness of how incredibly well-built and accurate these rifles are, I can only imagine their value will continue to rise.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester

$350 for a Walnut is not a bad price (assuming they are in as good of shape as they mention.)

You have been diagnosed with a case of the Swiss Flu. The only treatment is to buy more (says the guy who currently owns 5 K31's :innocent0)

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Why rationalize it?

If Taylor Swift offered me a roll in the hay, I wouldn't sit there trying to rationalize it.

Well, maybe if my wife was nearby, and armed.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Imma let you finish but Beyonce is the better unrationalized roll in the hay.

Why rationalize it?

If Taylor Swift offered me a roll in the hay, I wouldn't sit there trying to rationalize it.

Well, maybe if my wife was nearby, and armed.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    The only downside of another K31 is when Alphabrew's Law comes into play.

"Each Swiss rifle needs its own case of GP11"

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Or if you feel you have too many K31s (a hard argument to make) then do what I did and grab a K11, M1911 or M96/11 instead. A Schmidt Rubin in good or better condition is a safe investment. And you're correct in that the supply is rapidly dwindling. Importers are hoovering up SRs in their native land as older vets are passing and their families would prefer to let them go to a new home. When this supply dries up, like with the Finn Mosins, your only source will be the secondary market.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Or if you feel you have too many K31s (a hard argument to make) then do what I did and grab a K11, M1911 or M96/11 instead. A Schmidt Rubin in good or better condition is a safe investment. And you're correct in that the supply is rapidly dwindling. Importers are hoovering up SRs in their native land as older vets are passing and their families would prefer to let them go to a new home. When this supply dries up, like with the Finn Mosins, your only source will be the secondary market.

This!! I need a Model 1911 and a "true" K11 to round out the Schmidt-Rubins in my life.

But, here's my view - if you find a rifle you like, say a K31, then I see nothing wrong with collecting multiple examples. They aren't making them anymore, they aren't going to come down in price, and you'll enjoy them.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA

You have company. I have an unissued beech K-31 that I will (probably) never shoot and have been thinking of getting a walnut shooter. All this talk about them drying up led me to order one from SAMCO for the same price sooner rather than later. SKSs used to be $150 and Nagant Revolvers were $89 once. Never again. I figure I will only pay more later.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Not bad in todays market, really.

There is nothing wrong with multiple guns. 1. You never know when you will need a spare, 2. This kind of C&R stuff creeps up over the years so you likely will at least preserve your principal, 3. You wanted it right?

BTW what is a private series K31?

BinaryBoris

Jan 6, 2015
    Yes indeed I do have the Swiss Flu. I'm still recovering from Mosinitis, which most assuredly lowered my immune system and - in turn - likely allowed Swiss Flu to take over.

Well, in order to feel better about my purchase, I went out to the range today with my K-31s. I figured a good little session at 200 yards would make me feel better about the purchase.

I was getting ready to report, but while reading everyone's responses I realized the biggest mistake I made in my order was not getting a 2nd beech wood K31! This is probably due in large part to the fact that I may have encouraged two of the folks out at the range today to buy a K31 of their own. I probably should be working sales for AIM Surplus at this point.

At any rate, I shot the scoped K31 at 200 yards and managed a sloppy 4-5 inch group. Much of this probably had to do with me not shooting from a rest (just using my left hand for support off a bench). I followed up by ringing a 6" steel target with iron sights at 200 yards.

Again - the rifle is more accurate than I am, so it's more an endorsement of the K31 than my skills.

I'm throwing together a quick video to put up on YouTube. Nothing flashy so it will probably get a few down votes, but oh well. Just thought I'd share it with you all. I'll post a link when I get it done.

On a side note, I had set up a second camera to catch me actually shooting the rifle so that I could do one of those fancy picture-in-picture jobs. As luck would have it, I succeeded in recording myself setting up to shoot (thinking it was paused) and then turning it OFF when I was ready to rock and roll. Friggin brilliant move, I know.

BinaryBoris

Jan 6, 2015
    Not bad in todays market, really.

There is nothing wrong with multiple guns. 1. You never know when you will need a spare, 2. This kind of C&R stuff creeps up over the years so you likely will at least preserve your principal, 3. You wanted it right?

BTW what is a private series K31?

Great points. I think you are right on all three!

My understanding of the private series K31s is that they were sent directly to Swiss citizens and did not see military service. They are designated by a "P" in front of the serial number. My blondie has a P412xxx number which places it near the end of 1963 (the last or second to last year of production). Talk about luck. Hopefully this incoming rifle is in the early 1930's so I will have something close to "bookends" in production years. Then, of course, I'll have to get one from the 1950s so I can have one from every decade!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    How's this for rationalizing?

After reading this thread, and looking at the AIM website, I went ahead and ordered a K31 with walnut stock, hand-pick, and sling and muzzle guard.

Why?

Because, I reasoned, I don't have one, and for under $400, I will quit considering spending about double that on an auction for a pistol that I've been watching--one that would be a third or fourth copy of the same gun.

That seems perfectly logical to me!

BinaryBoris

Jan 6, 2015
    Oh great.

I'm seriously considering ordering a hand select from the 1950's now. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to have a K31 from each decade.

Is that a side effect of the Swiss Flu?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom