• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Even my wife is laughing at this stuff. I start to read her the "Stuff you know if you have an AK/AR/Mosin" and she jumps right in and says "Don't you have several of each?" The girl knows me well.

Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    Why you should buy a $100 mosin today, if you don't it will cost you $110 in 5 years.
    Why should you buy a mosin today? It cost you cheaper than doing your taxes and when the tax man comes you can pay him with lead.
    Why is a mosin better than a woman? It never wrinkles with age.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    The effective range on the 7.62 x 54R round is 2000m. They eventually went to the 7.62x39 round because they figured most future conflicts would be urban, thus that kind of range was no longer needed.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I remember when I saw my first Mosin; my buddy showed me his, 91/30 Izzy. He asked, "You want to give it a go?". I sat down, muscled the bolt closed; BOOM! Looked over and said, "I want one" lol..

Now i enjoy them for other reasons as well, but, that boom, lol, like a kid in a candy shop..

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    y72p.jpg

reading that for the hundredth time, I still laugh. many times. :lol2::lol::lol2:

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    The effective range on the 7.62 x 54R round is 2000m. They eventually went to the 7.62x39 round because they figured most future conflicts would be urban, thus that kind of range was no longer needed.
    That is interesting; was the 2000M effectiveness due to war tactics at the time? Considering when that cartridge was created, a lot changed from its induction through the World Wars, and the other conflicts of the time for that matter. I could imagine thousands of bullets just raining down from Mosin volley fire.

But if that's the case, why did the Chinese even produce the T53? Weren't they already producing the SKS by then?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    That is interesting; was the 2000M effectiveness due to war tactics at the time? Considering when that cartridge was created, a lot changed from its induction through the World Wars, and the other conflicts of the time for that matter. I could imagine thousands of bullets just raining down from Mosin volley fire.

But if that's the case, why did the Chinese even produce the T53? Weren't they already producing the SKS by then?

The Chinese and the Russians believed in the Human Wave doctrine. Cheaper to furnish millions and millions and millions of men with a bolt action than with a semi-auto.

That's why the Russians never really cared about the quality of the 91/30. It did the job and no more. They cared about quantity and over running their enemy with superior number.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    The Chinese and the Russians believed in the Human Wave doctrine. Cheaper to furnish millions and millions and millions of men with a bolt action than with a semi-auto.

That's why the Russians never really cared about the quality of the 91/30. It did the job and no more. They cared about quantity and over running their enemy with superior number.
    Thanks for the explanation; it makes sense in that respect. I guess the Russians started producing more semi-autos when it became more cost effective.

I wonder if the Russians didn't give the Chinese their semi-auto technology at the time to stay dominate; makes sense that the Chinese would be given the SKS with the advent of the AK47..

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    The Russians didn't want the chinese to have their most advanced technology. Thus when they were still developing the AKM and still had wide use of SKS the Chinese got the mosins in '53, and when the Russians started going full throttle with the AK the Chinese got the SKS in 56.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom