• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Rifle mount or even shotgun mount albeit over done on the shotty.

SF makes wonderful lights. Is it worth a trade? Just matters what is being given up for it. I like those lights. SF. Great throw. Rugged. However, I ended up with a smaller weaponmounted light, the Streamlight TLR-1.

Hunt rodent or boar or something at night where the light would be good? Even in a HD weapon I think it would be too much light. Blinding, distracting to the shooter.

Now if it was an easy trade for some of my extra ammo, I would snag it. Only because I enjoy a good light.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    btw, recently picked up a coleman led camp light for 24 bucks and it kicks butt. it's advertised at 115 lumens and 5 hour batt life. it's hard to beat for the cash.
    0007650122852_500X500.jpg

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    $485??? Are you insane. Seriously Maui, its a flashlight. With all the deals you seem to come up with on Sigs, buy another pistol. Why does it have the crenelated (sp) bezel? Are you really going to smash someone in the face with a $500 flashlight or use the $50 butt end of your Tapco stock.

Surefire is just a bit overpriced for what they offer. 125 lumens is fantistic, but it only runs for 60 mins.
    Look into Streamlight and or Inova lights. The LED Inova lights are super bright and have excellent battery life. I have used the 5-LED Inova for hunting the past 2 seasons on the same 2 cr123 batteries Still as bright as day 1.
    The only thing I would honestly consider Surefire for is the Shotgun forend they make. No one else has anything similar.

I have one on my Benelli M4 set up for HD. Super bright, though not blinding. It does make it a little front heavy, but it isn't a light weapon anyways.

The light is durable as anything, and is solid as a rock. I got mine used for $250.00 as I couldn't justify the cost new. I'm sure one is available cheaper.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Price is one thing. Yes they are overpriced for what they are and in light of its competition.

However, it was offered in trade. Depending on the value of the traded item, it could be a great deal if even an investment.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    surefire is known for being overpriced. sure, its a dependable flashlight, but outside of NASA, no one really has that kind of budget.

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    surefire is known for being overpriced. sure, its a dependable flashlight, but outside of NASA, no one really has that kind of budget.

I own 4 of them, and I do not make a ton of money. It's all about priorities. I have a lot of hobbies. I focus on one for a little bit, than move on to the another, and so forth. A lot of people tell me Surefire's are overpriced for what they are, until we go out in the woods or to an ... old ... building in the middle of the night, and both lights are put to the test. I can't tell you how many people I know have put away or sold Streamlights, Inova's, maglights, Fenix's etc. and picked up some "overpriced" Surefire's.

With that said Maui, I don't know they I would ever buy a Surefire weapon light, unless I was capable of using it every day (LEOs etc.). You can get the attachment to hang a G2LED or any other standard surefire off your tac rail or even using a tube size like scope mounts, for dirt cheap. Not to mention you don't NEED a Surefire hanging off the end of a firearm unless you are an LEO. Theoretically you would only need this light to work once, and in close quarters, so while you want it to work that one time, you don't need it to be able to fall off a mountain and turn back on, or blind you when the light hits a white wall etc. If you got the money and this is something you really want, by all means, spread the wealth brotha :D But, if you are just looking at this because it was offered in a trade, I would pick up one of the cheaper laser/light combo Streamlights, and wait for a better deal, or even sell whatever you are trading outright.

Just my .02 from a Surefire fan boy (Anyone want to have a knife thread, and discuss Benchmade's? :lol2::D)

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    i carry a surefire everyday, and Im a salesman and student. I like having a light that is going to fire up everytime, even if i have to bust skulls with it.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I have a surefire that a friend in S4 "issued" me, It's nice. but I have some aluminum bodied sportsman's guide LED lights that are brighter. they don't give off as much heat as the surefire and they don't have the flip up IR cover, but they also don't burn out bulbs. I'm not denying that surefires are dependable or tough. I'm just saying that they could be a little cheaper. It's like most high quality pistols.... The parts are not that expensive to produce once you have a factory. but no one ever drops the prices once they pay off the R and D bills. And to a point I think that is kinda wrong. If it costs Surefire 100 dollars to make a flashlight [which I doubt it does] they really shouldn't have a 400 percent mark up. I don't know maybe it's just me.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    His trade offer for this $480 flashlight is for me to give him $210 off my item..... Thats over HALF off and the light is NEW!!!

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    First off, all the guys saying Surefire is overpriced, blah, blah are either cheap, don't use their equipment very hard, or just plain don't know what they are talking about. Surefire lights own the LE and military market because they are that good. If the others were as good or better, they'd have a market share. If you don't need a light that is that good, then fine, but don't make random statements about how a Inova is just as good as a Surefire.....wrong.

Maui, I've used that particular light on a carbine. The light was issued to me. I canned it during the first training course I did after it was issued. We were working barricades and I came in hard to a window to brace for a shot and that big freakin' light hit the side pane and I went straight to my a$$. It is definitely a bright light, but too big. You are better off with a Scout light or even an X300. I know it is a trade, and he is trading for a reason. Also, the technology is going to LEDs more and more. Surefire offers LED conversions for their lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom