• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    I need your help.

(2001 Suzuki GSX1300r bike and model)

So I decided to get my bike up and running after 5 years of it being in storage. Seems that I had a bit of fuel left in the bike because last time that I transfered it from country to country it was bone dry empty. I shook the bike a little and the tank did a tiny swish.

Ok so back to basics. I get fresh fuel (bout a gallon) put some FI cleaner in it and about a cup of rubbing alcohol to get any water out. Swish it together an put a quart of fuel in. New battery, fresh oil and filter, hit the ignition and it tries to turn over but nothing. The Fuel pump does the whirl sound like normal so I am assuming that it's getting fuel somewhere.

Can I assume that my sparkplugs are dead or maybe take the tank off and pull the fuel pump and start from there?

I am at a lost, my poor little bike has been ignored for the past five years. I know she's mad cause after I learned to walk again I never took her out. She also didnt like being in the garage with a bunch of stuff pile on her.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Ok, well changed the sparkplugs and nothing. Used a little bit of carb cleaner just for giggles and still nothing. Just keeps churning trying to start. Seems that either Im not getting the right amount of fuel or the ignition coils are bad. Or something else. The new spark plugs had a bit of carbon on them after a few tries at starting it so I guess they're getting some type of electricity.

I did notice something though. I popped it into first gear, press the clutch and tried to start it and it started doing a little hop type thing. Kinda like it was about to stall out. So I guess there's something with my clutch. I tried rolling in first gear and the wheel was not locked in place so I guess that's good? It was a little tough though.

Good news are that the tires had only 400 miles on them and all the silicone that I acquired prior to leaving the ship I was stationed on worked really well. No cracks or dry rotting. I took the plugs to a shop nearby and he told me that it's probably out of timing and it looks like I will need to have the carb and injectors cleaned really really well. Plus another once over just to check everything. He also mentioned that I might want to have my fuel filter changed.

from the looks of it. I am at a loss, dont know what else to do with it unless I drop it off to the shop and have them give it a good once over. Drive it about 1k miles and see what else I would need to get it going.

Any other suggestions or things that I might want to look at before dropping it off to a shop? For some reason I hate spending money on non gun-related stuff but it's my bike and next to a dog and a gun we need to treat them right.

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    Your plugs should be fine, unless they were fouled up before. Worse you would need is to clean any corrosion off the plugs, top and bottom.

More than likely, if the bike is cranking well, then your problem is probably fuel related. Could be very dirty injectors, or clogged fuel rails. Try holding it WOT as you crank, that might get some fuel moving through. You can also pull a plug or two after cranking for a bit and see if there is any fuel getting to the cylinder.
    To check spark, you can attach a spark checker, it will light if there is spark getting to the plug.
    Finally, check all the electrical connections around the control systems, if the contacts have become corroded the computer won't be able to control the systems.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Just realized I placed this post in the wrong spot. I wanted it in the Cooler. Can a mod change it?

Trapper - I tried checking all the connections, I removed the ignition coils made sure that they were ok. I forgot to mention I tried to remove the hoses from the injector and they were fused in. I got my maintenance manual and I might try to remove everything tomorrow and give it a good once over before I call it quits and send it to a shop. Wish I had a decent sized garage to do all this stuff in.

ripper - is that a M2HB or a 40mm grenade launcher? The way it's opened looks like a 40mm or a short .50 cal browning. I miss the sunday shoots while out to sea.

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    I took the plugs to a shop nearby and he told me that it's probably out of timing and it looks like I will need to have the carb and injectors cleaned really really well. Plus another once over just to check everything. He also mentioned that I might want to have my fuel filter changed.

You couldn't possibly clean both, as it would be impossible to have carbs and injectors, if the mechanic told you that, then go somewhere else. The fuel filter is a good idea.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    maybe the fuel pump needs primed?...you could take off the fuel line from the carb and see if fuel is pumping when cranking also could pour a little and i mean a little gas down the throttle body opening see if it kicks over...if it stutters or tries you can rule out no spark...and narrow it to a fuel prob...

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    You need 3 things:

Air
    Fuel
    Spark

If you are getting spark then the electronic ignition should be working and asking for fuel from the injectors, gelled fuel would gum the works.

A whole cup of alcohol seems like alot, i would just drain all of that nonsense out and start fresh. Get a new fuel filter and make sure the lines drain. Make sure there isn't a dead mouse ect in one of your throttle bodies. If you can pop your fuel rail off and clean the injector tips (gently with just a solvent, soak em), and inspect the vacuum lines to your FPR ( look for dry rot, no vacuum= no fuel pressure), blow out the fuel rail. Try pinching the fuel return line at the rail while cranking and see if it ups the fuel pressure enough.

Make sure the injector o-rings are good too.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I took the plugs to a shop nearby and he told me that it's probably out of timing and it looks like I will need to have the carb and injectors cleaned really really well.

ok...how if it was running before you stored it does the timing fixed?? I would go with the fuel air mixture before timing...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    First thing to do is take a plug wire off, stick a spare plug in the boot, lay it on something metal, crank the engine, and see if it sparks.

If it sparks, dump a quart of only fresh gas in the tank, pull the air cleaner, and spray a little bit of starting fluid over the throttles, being careful not to spray it too close to the MAP sensor, the little square box with wires going to it off to the side of the air box, then put the air filter back in, and bolt the air box back together, within a minure. Try to fire it up, if it runs for a couple seconds, then immediately stalls, your fuel injectors are probably plugged solid from moisture and gelled fuel, and you may have to replace them if they won't flow after soaking the tips in gas, usually it will start, then stumble for a few secondes then run ok after that, let it warm up for about 5 minutes, shut it off, change the oil, fuel filter, and at least clean the plugs if not replace them.

If it won't spark, it gets complicated quickly, and you really need to plug it into a scanner to check it out, if not, you may likely spend money on parts that are otherwise OK.

Weither you can get it started or not, you should either go over EVERYTHING twice, or take it to a shop for them to check over everything, after sitting that long, there is a good chance there will be a hose cracking or brittle, or a sticking caliper, or some other little things that could mean big problems heading down the road.

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    I'll take that 'Busa off your hands for you, even give ya a running bike :D I will also sign a written contract that it will never go 5 years without being ridden :D

Just messin. As was said above, any internal combustion engine (car/bikes/lawmowers etc.) need Fuel, Spark, and Air to run. How they get and regulate the air/spark/fuel is either very simple or very complex depending on the system.

Start with the K.I.S.S philosophy first. pull a plug wire, run a piece of metal (screw driver, extension etc.) from inside the plug wire where the plug would go, to a good ground. Keep the screwdriver 1/4 inch away from the ground, don't let it touch. Crank the motor over and see if it sparks to ground.

Put some good gas in the tank (maybe .5 gallon), and let the fuel pump prime (the whirly noise) until it stops. If it goes more than 10 seconds, add a little more fuel and try again until it stops. Hit your shrader valve on the fuel rail and make sure the system is pressurized up the injectors.

For Air, as was said above, make sure nothing is clogging your throttle bodies, air box, intake tube etc (animals like to hide and die in there).

Once you figure out which problem you are having, weather it be spark/air/fuel, we can help you get to your problem. More than likely you'll need some new spark plugs, all new fluids, and have the tank, fuel injectors, and fuel rain cleaned out real good to get rid of the gummed up fuel.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Me, once I knew I had spark Id pour about half a Coke cap full of fuel in the cylinders via the plug hole. Put plugs back in and see if it fires or not. A few drops in each cylinder will get it to fire.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    You couldn't possibly clean both, as it would be impossible to have carbs and injectors, if the mechanic told you that, then go somewhere else. The fuel filter is a good idea.

Yah, I was on the phone when writting so I didnt pay attention. What I meant by carbs was the throttle bodies.

I have not checked the sparks as all of you have stated below. I will do that in the morning.

Jason - by plug wire do you mean the ignition coil or the actual wire that plugs into the ignition coil?

Nothing in the airbox or tubes going into it. No hoses are dry rotted from what I can tell.

About putting fuel down the throttle bodies. Just a drop or two and crank it right? When I was a kid I saw an older cousin of mine burn off his eyebrows doing something like that on a Nova (I think). So I'm kinda apprehensive. Then again the dude was a dopehead and I remember him pouring gas in there out of a cup.

SVrider

Nov 22, 2008
    St.Louis
    I would do what alucard0822 or blackbart suggested. You will know right way where to narrow down your problem. Not firing at all, possibly spark, fires runs, stalls out, clogged fuel lines/injectors ect. I was having this same problem with my nt650, carburetors were all sorts of clogged up, My bet is you have gummed up injectors or fuel lines. Also do what everyone has been suggesting, make sure there is no mouse nest in the air box. :innocent0

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    It was mentioned before, but. After you crank it with the throttle open for a few seconds, pull a spark plug and see if it is wet with gas? Be careful cranking the starter for too long at a time, they can overheat.
    I don't know about bikes, but cars have a shraeder(SP) valve(think tire valve stem) on the fuel rail. They are used to connect a Fuel Pressure Gage to monitor fuel pressure. If your bike has one you can push the little stem in a little and see if fuel comes out? If it does you know the fuel pump is creating pressure.

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    Yah, I was on the phone when writting so I didnt pay attention. What I meant by carbs was the throttle bodies.

I have not checked the sparks as all of you have stated below. I will do that in the morning.

Jason - by plug wire do you mean the ignition coil or the actual wire that plugs into the ignition coil?

Nothing in the airbox or tubes going into it. No hoses are dry rotted from what I can tell.

About putting fuel down the throttle bodies. Just a drop or two and crank it right? When I was a kid I saw an older cousin of mine burn off his eyebrows doing something like that on a Nova (I think). So I'm kinda apprehensive. Then again the dude was a dopehead and I remember him pouring gas in there out of a cup.

I haven't seen the engine of a 'Busa, so I am not sure how the ignition system is laid out. It is either going to be Ignition coil of some sort (pack, module etc.) to wire to plug, or a coil on plug set up (no plug wires at all). I think 2001 would be a little early for coil on plug, and I am unaware of any bike that uses that set up at all.

I would remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug side, and leave it attached to the coil. That way you can tell if you are getting power to at least the plug, which would be the last link in the "spark" system, and a cheap fix if every thing else was okay. If you aren't getting spark to the plug side of the wire, than you are going to have to check fuses and use a multimeter to check your plug wires, coil etc. etc.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Ok, well after getting my eyes flushed out cause of a gas spurt. The fuel delivery seems to be ok. Did not take the tank off and do a full once over of it but fuel is reaching the injectors and they're doing their job right.

So that leaves me with a spark issue. All ports seemed to be ok until I noticed something. Since I took off the plastics I noticed a frayed wire. Followed it and it went to piston 1; looked a litttle more the one leading to 3 is nicely chewed. Number 4 has one cabled chewed.

So thanks to damn mice I have some cabling work to be done. Seems a little out of my league so I will take it to a shop to see how much the damage will be. Im still going to read through my maintenance manual fully to see if I can actually get away with replacing the cables running to the ignition coils with new switches. Seems like a lot but it will be a little time consuming on my end.

If the shop can do it for a decent price within my budget then I might as well let the grownups do it.

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    Ok, well after getting my eyes flushed out cause of a gas spurt. The fuel delivery seems to be ok. Did not take the tank off and do a full once over of it but fuel is reaching the injectors and they're doing their job right.

So that leaves me with a spark issue. All ports seemed to be ok until I noticed something. Since I took off the plastics I noticed a frayed wire. Followed it and it went to piston 1; looked a litttle more the one leading to 3 is nicely chewed. Number 4 has one cabled chewed.

So thanks to damn mice I have some cabling work to be done. Seems a little out of my league so I will take it to a shop to see how much the damage will be. Im still going to read through my maintenance manual fully to see if I can actually get away with replacing the cables running to the ignition coils with new switches. Seems like a lot but it will be a little time consuming on my end.

If the shop can do it for a decent price within my budget then I might as well let the grownups do it.

If that's the case, have the shop do a FULL safety inspection. Let them know you had the bike stored long term, and found some frayed wires probably from mice.

They may have put some holes in brake lines, fuel lines etc. etc. Things you may not notice until you ride it, and things you NEVER want to find out are bad while riding.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Just for that I hate all rodents. Mice, cats, dems from california, deer and brady bunch supporters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom