• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Barrel coating is important, but I think it is over-emphasized. Stuff like gas port hole size, quality of rifling, barrel profile, etc. are all just as important - arguably moreso depending on application.

The Faxon Fluted HBAR 223 Wylde barrels were a really good option, but I have not seen them available for a while. If you can find one, it would be my pick. They are not SUPER accurate like a Criterion or Shilen, but they'll do the job for tactical or multigun applications at 500-600.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My CHF 18 inch mid gas "heavy barrel" from PSA (FN) shoots extremely well. Purchased as a complete upper for under $400 pre covid, so figured I could toss the upper and handguard if I didn't like it. Stripped it fully and rebuilt it and have no issues and it's a solid MOA rifle as I intended. It was a bit over gassed but an h2 and sprinco blue fixed that. Upper and barrel fit was tight, not BCM upper tight though.
    You didn't fix it being overgassed, you mitigated it. It's still overgassed. Thank you for confirming my point that an FN barrel can be made to different specs and tolerances.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    You didn't fix it being overgassed, you mitigated it. It's still overgassed. Thank you for confirming my point that an FN barrel can be made to different specs and tolerances.

You may be right, but I don't think throwing an H2 and a slightly over power spring is really out of ordinary.

Criterion even suggests running h2 buffers out of the gate.

Also, with an 18 inch mid gas, I expected it due to increased dwell time.

3 oz carbine buffers have become the commercial norm due to cost and reliability with cheap ammo, not for any other viable reason.

sixace

Oct 7, 2020
    The waters are deep indeed, thanks!

Sixace -

4 general barrel "types". You will typically see them as either 4140CMV, 4150 CMV, or 410 or 416 stainless. I would avoid 4140 if you can but it's not the end of the world if you have one and it shoots ok.

4 most common barrel types -

- Unlined - typically button rifled and have a phosphate coating to prevent corrosion or rust. These are potentially OK barrels but won't stand up to heavy firing schedules and may be less reliable as they get dirty.

- Chrome lined - up through today this is the military standard. The barrel can be made either in a cold hammer forging or button rifled (pro's/cons to each and negligible differences for most folks). Chrome lining has excellent resistance to wear, especially under high heat, although are not typically known to be the most accurate (still more accurate than most people).

- Nitirde/Melonite/QPQ - all synonyms for the same process, Salt Bath Nitirde. Nitride is a surface coating which greatly increases the hardness of the metal. Like chrome, it greatly increases corrosion resistance and lubricity and therefore reliability over the long term. Unlike chrome, which adds material to the bore, Nitride actually changes the surface of the metal, so you can potentially have a more accurate barrels. Nitride has shown not to hold up as long as chrome during long periods of fully automatic fire, but as a civilian this is really not a factor. Nitride is also less expensive, so this makes it a great option for a serious use civilian rifle.

- Stainless Steel - you will usually see 410 or 416 stainless. Stainless steel barrels are typically not nitrided (although Faxon does it and others) and these are typically used in precision oriented rifles. No need to go stainless steel in my opinion unless you are shooting for the most accuracy possible and where heavy strings of fire may not be a regular occurrence.

All else being equal, these are some of the differences. The waters are deep, my friend, and I am by no means an expert.

Heat treatment, quality control, barrel profile, and many other factors can play into how a barrel performs.

TL;DR - I typically recommend a decent Nitride barrel for most folks and a good chrome lined if budget isn't as much of a factor.

The other thing about cheap barrels is the manufacturer typically over-gasses the p*ss out of them in order for them to be reliable to the end user who will likely use low quality ammo paired with a low quality product.

Sirex