Fire Call!!!! Dems attempting to ram SB741/HB888...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Today I call them all...

Brochin 410-841-3648
    Muse 410-841-3092
    Zirkin 410-841-3131
    Kelley 410-841-3606
    Lee 410-841-3124
    Ramirez 410-841-3745
    Smith 410-841-3634

House phone numbers
    Vallario 410-841-3488
    Dumais 410-841-3052
    Anderson 410-841-3291
    Atterbeary 410-841-3471
    Conaway 410-841-3189
    Gibson 410-841-3283
    Lewis 410-841-3691
    Moon 410-841-3474
    Morhaim 410-841-3054
    Proctor 410-841-3083
    Queen 410-841-3380
    Sanchez 410-841-3340
    Sydnor 410-841-3802

ETA: 8:17am - just confirmed I copied all numbers correctly :D

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Good list. Thems the ones.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    I can't make it to Annapolis tomorrow. However, I hope someone who is testifying can poke them with this gem from their own Fiscal and Policy Note:

State Expenditures: General fund expenditures increase minimally as a result of the bill’s application of existing incarceration penalties due to more people being committed to State correctional facilities and increased payments to counties for reimbursement of inmate costs. The number of people convicted of this proposed crime is expected to be minimal.

ziptiespec

I tend to be a bit verbose in my writing. Here's what I sent to the committee members in the House and Senate:

Senator ______, / Delegate ______,

Please oppose Senate Bill 0707 / House Bill 0888. I implore you to prevent this well-meaning but poorly conceived and written bill from becoming law. I am a law-abiding gun owner and I live in Maryland. I closely follow the voting patterns of the legislators that are supposed to represent me and uphold the Constitution of the United States.

I understand that because of the tragedy in Las Vegas, there's a desire to "do something". Something to prevent the same thing from happening. Something to save lives. Senate Bill 0707 (and companion House Bill 0888) "Criminal Law – Firearm Crimes – Rapid Fire Trigger Activator" is something, but it's the wrong something. These bills, as currently worded, are too broad in their scope, are based on something that can not be defined - the "standard rate of fire" for a firearm, and will do nothing to stop crime.

First, to expand on what I mean by "too broad in scope". The primary devices targeted by these bills (bump stocks and trigger cranks) are currently owned by many law-abiding gun owners. They are used for recreational and lawful purposes. Many more devices (match-grade/competition triggers and adjustable gas blocks, among others) that are not a bump stock or trigger crank could also be considered to increase the rate of fire, and are owned by far more law-abiding gun owners. These are also used for recreational, sporting, and totally lawful purposes. The broad reach of this bill puts tens of thousands of Maryland citizens at risk of becoming criminals.

As for what I mean regarding the inability to define a "standard rate of fire", the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) are the "go to guys" for determining the classification of firearms and firearms accessories. BATFE doesn't use rate of fire as a factor at all, and why? Because there is no standard. To determine the difference between a fully automatic machine gun and a semi-automatic rifle, they instead define classification based on the function of the "firing device", or trigger. Maryland's own statues use a similar approach. From Article - Criminal Law, Section 4-401 (c):

“Machine gun” means a loaded or unloaded weapon that is capable of automatically discharging more than one shot or bullet from a magazine by a single function of the firing device.

BATFE have previously reviewed the legality of bump stocks and trigger crank products. They determined that these products did not convert a semi-automatic firearm into a fully automatic one. Thus, these products comply with Federal statute, do not violate any laws, and are completely legal to own.

The standard rate of fire determination cannot be made because there is no such thing. Two identical firearms used by two different people will exhibit different rates of fire based more on the experience level of the person than with what devices/accessories are attached to the firearm.

Regarding the chance of this legislation preventing crime, or even another tragedy like Las Vegas - there is none. The means with which someone commits a crime or atrocity is purely secondary to the motivation to commit the act itself. You cannot legislate morality or bad decisions.

Thank you for your time,
    Me​

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Can't make it to Annapolis tomorrow, here is my email sent to everyone on the list. Thank you, Tim, for putting an easy to access list of politicians to contact and to some of the others who shared their letters. I admit to using several of them to construct mine.

Honorable Senators and Delegates,

As with most gun control bills, this bill will do nothing to prevent violence and will only impact law abiding citizens. As a law abiding citizen of Maryland, I urge you to please consider opposing this bill. I am a veteran and student who volunteers with various non- profit organizations and can speak clearly and persuasively to my colleagues.

I will be following this legislation and those who support it closely. I will speak openly with all of those who are willing to discuss the impact of this proposed law and I will be sure to explain in detail how this law may impact their current lawful activities.

Additionally, I will also be tracking your vote and will be sure to share how you voted with all my fellow veterans in preparation for the elections this year.

Please direct your legislative energy to curbing the violence in Baltimore by addressing the criminal, not the tool. As in the testimony from the Baltimore City Police Chief (Acting), there has been not one legally owned forearm recovered as the result of a crime.

Please vote against HB-0888, or SB-0707

Sincerely,

Inkd

SW686

MDS Supporter
    Jul 25, 2012
    And thanks to Montoya32 for posting the list of committee members and to Magnetic1 for posting the links to the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore email system.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Mom's out in force on the sidewalk. 7 minutes until the infringement begins.

Once again Maryland lawmakers fail to put forth efforts to reduce the type of crime occurring in this state. Instead, they focus on the freak in Vegas and the tool that he used, without acknowledging that every other month the same number killed in Vegas are killed in baltimore.

Recall that Baltimore leads the nation in per capita homicides, and ranks 37th over all in the world.

Six years after enacting among the most onerous and restrictive gun laws in The country, homicides are up 60% in Baltimorgue. Gun control doesnt work, because it only affects the law abiding.

When will they figure that out?

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Thanks Shannon. sarcasm... Why do you have to assume that you do a mag dump with a Bump Stock.. you can do a 3 -5 round burst and still be on target. Why why why

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom