• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I will be doing a weekend trip down to VA Beach this weekend. Once I leave the "free state" :sad20: I will be able to protect myself by carrying concealed via my FL CCW permit.

Just wanted to know if there are any restrictions on carrying in Virginia. Can I carry in restaurants and/or bars? Are there any cities (such as Va Beach) that restrict carrying.

Anything I need to know before strapping on my Karh once I cross the line into freedom?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Open carry only if you are in a place that serves alcohol. That's going to get changed soon but for now it's the law of the land.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Virginia also has good pre-emption laws so there are no localities that can prevent you from carrying beyond those enumerated in VA Law.

Here's the VA Firearms Law page:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_StateLaws.shtm

Be careful in Norfolk. Apparently their PD doesn't care about the legal right to OC in VA. There are a few reports on Norfolk PD's illegal harassment of citizens OC'ing. Open Carry Forum. Look under reports from the states in the VA section.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Open carry only if you are in a place that serves alcohol. That's going to get changed soon but for now it's the law of the land.

Thanks Norton. Does this apply to ANY establishment that serves alcohol? I mean, if I go to an Applebees or Ruby Tuesdays and they serve alcohol I can't carry concealed? I thought the rule was written to apply to bars primarily, not restaurants that serve alcohol.

I don't plan on OC'ing anywhere. If I can't take it in to a restaurant I'll leave it in the car. I don't want to deal with the hassle.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Thanks Norton. Does this apply to ANY establishment that serves alcohol? I mean, if I go to an Applebees or Ruby Tuesdays and they serve alcohol I can't carry concealed? I thought the rule was written to apply to bars primarily, not restaurants that serve alcohol.

I don't plan on OC'ing anywhere. If I can't take it in to a restaurant I'll leave it in the car. I don't want to deal with the hassle.

Any place that serves alcohol.

VA doesn't have "bars" per se. The VA ABC laws are pretty strict in the sense that a certain amount of the establishment's sales must be food related.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Damn! Thanks for the clarification Norton. I would not have known that and could have gotten myself in some trouble. :o

all those years I spent down there turned out to be useful after all :D

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County

I used to only CC in VA, but now I almost always OC. It is far more comfortable and I have never been hassled. In fact, the only time that I have had anyone acknowledge my firearm was in a positive manner. Lots of people OC if you look for it.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I used to only CC in VA, but now I almost always OC. It is far more comfortable and I have never been hassled. In fact, the only time that I have had anyone acknowledge my firearm was in a positive manner. Lots of people OC if you look for it.

It was anoying as hell when I was carrying down there (concealed) this weekend. We wanted to walk from the hotel to a few shops and dinner but since I couldn't carry at the restaurant I had to bring the car basically just for a place to keep the gun while we were eating. It really is a ridiculous law. What happens is you wind up just no carrying at all because it's so much of a hassle to disarm every time you go into any establishment that serves alcohol.

As far as open carry goes, I'm just not there yet on that and I'm pretty sure the wife would have prefered that I not do that and it's not something I choose to do anyway.

But it was nice escaping Maryland into freedom where I could be exercise my 2A rights for a change - at least temporarily. :rolleyes:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It was anoying as hell when I was carrying down there (concealed) this weekend. We wanted to walk from the hotel to a few shops and dinner but since I couldn't carry at the restaurant I had to bring the car basically just for a place to keep the gun while we were eating. It really is a ridiculous law. What happens is you wind up just no carrying at all because it's so much of a hassle to disarm every time you go into any establishment that serves alcohol.

As far as open carry goes, I'm just not there yet on that and I'm pretty sure the wife would have prefered that I not do that and it's not something I choose to do anyway.

But it was nice escaping Maryland into freedom where I could be exercise my 2A rights for a change - at least temporarily. :rolleyes:

Your wife might not approve, but you can "Virgina Tuck" your clothes to OC your sidearm while in a restaurant. No car required for storage.

I think the law will be repealed in July. The lame duck Gov. Kaine vetoed the law when it came to his desk. I think Gov-elect McDonnell will sign it. Good news for CCW folks in the Commonwealth.

:lol:

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    you can "Virgina Tuck" your clothes to OC your sidearm while in a restaurant. No car required for storage.

that's interesting. are you basically saying that if you carry inside waistband style you could simply tuck your shirt inside of the gun and reveal just the tip of the holster and gun and be in compliance? Man, where were you BEFORE I went. I didn't think of that.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    that's interesting. are you basically saying that if you carry inside waistband style you could simply tuck your shirt inside of the gun and reveal just the tip of the holster and gun and be in compliance? Man, where were you BEFORE I went. I didn't think of that.

Yup. I do it all the time. i carry a G30 in a Crossbreed Supertuck all the time and when i go into a restaurant, I "tuck" my shirt behind the grip so the weapon is VISIBLE and not hidden from COMMON OBSERVATION

I have even done it with my Serpa. If I have an untucked shirt covering it, I simply reposition the shirt to be behind the weapon, thereby exposing it.

Totally legal. Sorry you didn't know about this before hand. Now you have an excuse to go back and do it again !!

:party29:

CobraMike

Back in Black
    Mar 30, 2008
    Frederick
    Yup. I do it all the time. i carry a G30 in a Crossbreed Supertuck all the time and when i go into a restaurant, I "tuck" my shirt behind the grip so the weapon is VISIBLE and not hidden from COMMON OBSERVATION

I have even done it with my Serpa. If I have an untucked shirt covering it, I simply reposition the shirt to be behind the weapon, thereby exposing it.

Totally legal. Sorry you didn't know about this before hand. Now you have an excuse to go back and do it again !!

:party29:

This is good to know. I was wondering the same thing. I have the supertuck as well for a p2000. I havent made a trip to VA on my own time yet but I have one coming up soon.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Resurrecting this one:

Wife and I just came back from VA Beach 4 day vaca (12th anniversary). Thanks to my UT permit I CC'd whenever I could except when I was drinking. At first I felt like a criminal walking down the street and into shops with a loaded firearm on me. After a while I got used to it.

Nice now not having to worry about their wonky alcohol establishment rules. There were a lot of foreigners there so choose not to OC. I really didn't want to deal with "man with a gun" call. My safety is my business, I wasn't there to make a statement.

Thanks to a Gun Vault car safe I bought from Dan at GC it made it much more convenient to carry. That way if we are going for dinner and I want a glass of wine I can unload and lock without worrying.

There were some wannabe thugs on the boardwalk towards the busy end. That was the only time I felt unsafe. Also driving through bad neighborhood in Hampton to visit her brother.

My outfit was shorts with an untucked button up shirt. Wife said sometimes she could see imprint but couldn't tell what it was. Also kept my drivers lic, permit and ATM card in front shirt pocket. I never got a funny look and I think my wife was more nervous about it than I was. Can't wait to go back!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My outfit was shorts with an untucked button up shirt. Wife said sometimes she could see imprint but couldn't tell what it was. Also kept my drivers lic, permit and ATM card in front shirt pocket. I never got a funny look and I think my wife was more nervous about it than I was. Can't wait to go back!

People don't notice the printing since most people carry their smart phones where I normally keep my pistol. I put my wallet on my off side back pocket now when I'm carrying in a belt holster versus IWB.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom