• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MacGyverS2000

Oct 25, 2020
    Interested in everyone's thoughts on cleaner/lube combos... seems like contradictory intents, but the popularity of them makes me wonder. I'm used to having one bottle of nitro cleaner and one bottle of oil, and never the two shall meet.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    I've pretty much onverted over to Bore Tech Eliminator for my bore depending on circumstances. I may still use Wipe Out from time to time if it's after an extended period of time or longer shooting session. Lube is generally Mobil 1 synthetic oil and grease mostly although I've recently given Cherry Balmz a try. That's looking good as well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As rule of thumb , no single product does great to both ( or all three if you include preservative ) .

But is a sort of slippery lube combined with light duty cleaner better than not having either ? Sure . It's handy to have several small backup bottles in range bag , vehicle , etc so you never get caught short out & about . But use the specific product back at the bench. .

Yes they are popular ,the appeal to only need ( and buy ) one product is strong . The better ones don't suck in absolute terms .

For example , at recent gun show a new find was both mildly grungy and a little stiff . $5.99 at another vendor for some CLP ( and small pkg patches ) and things were much better 10min later .

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Mineral Spirits, non-chlorinated brake cleaner, whatever motor oil I have on hand, lithium grease. Everything I use now comes from the hardware store or auto parts store.

I will run most of my small parts through a sonic cleaner once a year (give or take). Hot water and a small squirt of dish washing detergent.

If I am shooting 7N6 out of my AK, I will bring it home and run water from the garden hose through the rifle before cleaning. If for some reason I can't clean it right away, I will spray it down with some Windex until I can hose it off and clean it.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Mobil 1 grease and/or Mobil 1 oil.
    Carry a tube of Milcomm TW25 synthetic grease in my range bag.
    Only other thing I use is a pinpoint Oiler when needed.

Wipe Out bore foam for barrel cleaning
    Barricade spray for exterior protection as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom