• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    I want to shoot some tree rats this year anyone got any public land places that you can use a .22rimfire? Or I would love to linkup with someone and take some out willing to make a drive for a day of hunting.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Try Clear Springs WMA, Greenbriar State Forest, Sideling Hill WMA. If in MD, you need to get to Washington County or westwards. On the Eastern Shore head down to Dorchester County, or Idylwild WMA near Federalsburg.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    can use .22 in Frederick CWMA and McKee Beshers WMA. For areas that don't allow rimfire and you don't want to use shotgun, look into a .22 airgun

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Not true at all.
    Unless there is a specific restriction for a specific park/area , Squirrel hunting with a .22 is legal in all counties.

Try Clear Springs WMA, Greenbriar State Forest, Sideling Hill WMA. If in MD, you need to get to Washington County or westwards. On the Eastern Shore head down to Dorchester County, or Idylwild WMA near Federalsburg.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not true at all.
    Unless there is a specific restriction for a specific park/area , Squirrel hunting with a .22 is legal in all counties.

That was partly a question I have. What is the exact language of the straight wall regulation that went in to effect this season? Does it specify DEER. Or does it apply to all areas that were shotgun only. A few counties have more restrictions generally, but they mostly apply to private land.

For example Howard county restricts the use of firearms for hunting in the urban zone to properties of 10 acres or larger and SHOTGUN only. In the rural zone, it is 10 acre properties or larger and a rifle may be used.

Not that there is any public land in the urban zone in HoCo that I am aware of.

Just curious if it opens up some formerly archery, ML and shotgun only WMAs and parks to 22 hunting. Or if the SW cartridge change only applies to deer.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Yes, SWJ cartridges are a "Deer regulation" See page 15
    Any firearm may be used to hunt small game, take you .50 BMG See page 48. Excluding areas that the park, city or municipality has banned a specific weapon.

That was partly a question I have. What is the exact language of the straight wall regulation that went in to effect this season? Does it specify DEER. Or does it apply to all areas that were shotgun only. A few counties have more restrictions generally, but they mostly apply to private land.

For example Howard county restricts the use of firearms for hunting in the urban zone to properties of 10 acres or larger and SHOTGUN only. In the rural zone, it is 10 acre properties or larger and a rifle may be used.

Not that there is any public land in the urban zone in HoCo that I am aware of.

Just curious if it opens up some formerly archery, ML and shotgun only WMAs and parks to 22 hunting. Or if the SW cartridge change only applies to deer.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    If a specific WMA is listed as "Small game ONLY with a shotgun", then no, the SWJ regulation will not open that upto .22 for Squirrel.

Some WMA's do restrict weapon choice. You have to check with each park, WMA you hunt.

My point was the State does not "blanket" restrict regions or counties to what weapon you can use for small game.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I don't have time to go squirrel hunting but just go to any of these and stalk slowly. They make them selves readily apparent if you move slow enough. Look for yellow trees in October, the hickory is turning now and they love them. You cna hear them squeaking on walnuts and acorns and pieces falling out of the trees if the wind is not blowing. Watch and wait and they will move. You can sit at the base of a tree and just wait if you like.

I would advise against it this Thursday - Saturday as its Muzzy season.

I second the 12ga and #6 and that is my go to. I have an old Winchester 37A single shot that was the first gun I ever bought. I take the lab some times and sit in the turkey chair. Kill one and say "fetch" and she loves gathering the tree rats.

Washington county and westward you can kill tree rats on Sunday!! There is also South Mountain WMA.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Got up late and took the Crockett 32 muzzleloader to sneak up on the squirrels
    Hit one and missed next shot. Picked up this one and here is the sanitized view. Guts were blown out the other side and back broken in half. Ruined some meat on lower half.
    I was only using 10grains of powder.

I’ll use the suppressed 10/22 next time where I can take head shots
    106a517318405799fecde89fcec5abc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Got up late and took the Crockett 32 muzzleloader to sneak up on the squirrels
    Hit one and missed next shot. Picked up this one and here is the sanitized view. Guts were blown out the other side and back broken in half. Ruined some meat on lower half.
    I was only using 10grains of powder.

I’ll use the suppressed 10/22 next time where I can take head shots
    106a517318405799fecde89fcec5abc9.jpg

C'mon Davey, don't you know you're supposed to 'bark' them with that thing? No meat loss that way.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Took these two this morning just from barking at them ;)

Finally got the bigger one who has been pulling corn out directly from feeder
    9d1c6431d7b7aa5aa70a86eb3ebc76e2.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OMG!
    I’ve taken out 3 in The last week and I look at the feeder now and there are 6 out there. They are like tribbles!

Well dogs will be eagling well. I’ll have to come out again Monday

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom