• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I'm looking for advice on a concealed carry holster. I live in MD but spend a lot of time in VA and NC. I have a Utah non-resident concealed carry permit that would allow me to carry in VA and NC.

I only have two handguns; a Sig Sauer P226 and a East German Makarov. I use both of the handguns at a range around once a month so that I feel comfortable handling them. I am thinking that the Sig is a bit too heavy to carry around and a bit too large to be easily concealed so I am thinking I'll probably carry the Makarov for the foreseeable future.

I am 5' 9" and weigh around 200 pounds. Looking for recommendations on concealed carry holsters. Any advice on this people would like to share?

TIA!

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I bought a concealment express holster. It’s one of the cheaper holsters, but also good quality. A good belt can be just as important as the holster.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No , a Sig P2xx isn't to large to carry , hey it's a semi- free country , and you can certainly carry your Mak if you so wish .

With a pinch of cynicism , within the next 24hrs :

Blaster will catagorically recomend clip-on suede IWB.

I will catagorically recomend leather pancake

137 other MDS'ers will recommend specific brands , with approx 3 way split between : IWB Hybrids aka Crossbreed & clones , Kydex Appendix , and kydex IWB @ 4:00 .

Then another 3-4 pages back & forth over whether or not IWB hybrids inherently suck , and debating whether having a loaded gun pointed at your family jewels and femoral artery or not is a wise thing .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    No , a Sig P2xx isn't to large to carry , hey it's a semi- free country , and you can certainly carry your Mak if you so wish .

With a pinch of cynicism , within the next 24hrs :

Blaster will catagorically recomend clip-on suede IWB.

I will catagorically recomend leather pancake.

I will categorically recommend not carrying a 226 for CCW. It's too large and 99% of people can't CCW for crap. Especially a big service pistol like that.
    Winter is fine with a leather OWB holster under a flannel shirt.
    My suede IWB I started using back in the day when kydex was just a twinkle in daddy's eye.
    And that's all someone needs.
    I could teach someone how to OWB a 226 under a summer time t shirt.

I always say it, I've used this suede holster all over the world in non permissive environments without having an intentional incident.

You think operators and 3 letter agency folks are using fancy shmancy holsters when they get to station and don't even know what they're going to be issued?
    A suede IWB can accommodate a myriad of pistols.
    8361db32c9f10557accf1d9fdd314f3f.jpg

OldTimeyGoodness

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 2, 2020
    I'm looking for advice on a concealed carry holster. I live in MD but spend a lot of time in VA and NC. I have a Utah non-resident concealed carry permit that would allow me to carry in VA and NC.

I only have two handguns; a Sig Sauer P226 and a East German Makarov. I use both of the handguns at a range around once a month so that I feel comfortable handling them. I am thinking that the Sig is a bit too heavy to carry around and a bit too large to be easily concealed so I am thinking I'll probably carry the Makarov for the foreseeable future.

I am 5' 9" and weigh around 200 pounds. Looking for recommendations on concealed carry holsters. Any advice on this people would like to share?

TIA!

Your makarov appendix carry would be pretty comfortable.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I picked up a King Tuck Air. Just got my Utah and like the OP, spend a lot of time in VA.

I like the simplicity of that suede clip on.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I am a huuuge fan of alien gear. If you live near harford county our eastern balto county i would meet up and let you check it out. I carry either a p229 or m and p shield daily.

I suggested a meet and greet with holstersbut it never went anywhere

Nobody

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I am a fat guy, I bought several leather IWB holster over time and regret everyone. They are comfortable, but damn they are hard to draw. Its due to needing to wrench my belt on to keep my pants up. After a few mistakes, I took a shot at Alien Gear for my Shield. I love it. I am going to buy another for my Glock.

I agree with whoever said the belt is just as important. I bought a biothane belt because I am overweight. Its a damn tough belt. Works great carrying.

I also wear undershirts when I carry. You might not need too, but it has become my preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom