• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 6, 2019

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I use their .30, .50 cal cans as well as their larger ones. I don’t use their cans in a case. They are easy enough to stack and I don’t need to try to carry 4 all together like that. I’ll just get a pair of 50s if I want the same capacity and be able to carry it all at once.

They take a pair of small travel padlocks easily. Sturdy and light. Price is right. I’ve got probably 8-10 of their 30s, 6-8 of their 50s, a couple of their big cases, a couple medium cases and a few of their small cases. Plus a couple metal 20mm cans and a 120mm can (stores AR uppers nicely).

Mar 6, 2019
    My .30 cal cans arrived today. They’re smaller than I thought. It’ll work for my limited needs. I may need to get a .50 cal can if decide to start stocking up. Here’s some pics to show size.

.22LR
    Remington box is against the front
    338ec6597dee836091953276f3f8f709.jpg

.223 boxed fits one flat, one standing up.

150 loose .223 rounds less than 1/3 up
    e513b26ac307c48e557c72957ec3eaa7.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My .30 cal cans arrived today. They’re smaller than I thought. It’ll work for my limited needs. I may need to get a .50 cal can if decide to start stocking up. Here’s some pics to show size.

.22LR
    Remington box is against the front
    338ec6597dee836091953276f3f8f709.jpg

.223 boxed fits one flat, one standing up.

150 loose .223 rounds less than 1/3 up
    e513b26ac307c48e557c72957ec3eaa7.jpg

Yup, that's why I use them for "oddball" calibers or a specific loading of a caliber. For example, because right now I don't have a ton of M2 ball, I have a .30 cal can loaded with .30-06 M2 ball loose and on clips since I only have about 230 rounds (just barely fits in a can). I also have a can of IMI M855 and IMI 193 loose (fits around 450-500 rounds). Same with .32acp and 9MAK.

Pretty much everything else gets bigger cans. I've got a couple of .50 cal cans of 7.62x51 and .308. One of the large size MTM cases for 22lr (their largest size, but the shorter height) and it fits somewhere around 7k rounds crammed in there. I have the largest size MTM cans for miscellaneous that just doesn't fit well in something else (like I've got a .50 cal can of .30 carbine, but I long ago used up the space in it and have been too lazy to redistribute in to one of the smaller MTM cases, but I should probably do that some time soon. Anyway, so I've got 5 or 6 boxes of .30 carbine in there. A bunch of 7.62x39 because same story, etc.)

Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    I have the same .30 cal set in a tray, and I also feel they are a little tight, but I like the stackability. I'm thinking of getting the other version from MTM...it has 3 of the .50 cal boxes in a similar tray and I think they missed the mark if the trays aren't "inter" stackable.

They also make trays for metal cans.

I will stick to the old-fashioned 50 caliber cans. Plastic gets brittle when it gets cold is prone to breaking if dropped and no amount of desiccant can keep every drop of moisture out of it

I second this. Additionally, ammo is expensive. You need to protect your ammo. Metal cans with desiccant packs stored in a non humid environment is the way to go.

TangoSierra27

MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2017
    FOREST HILL
    These MTM are cool, I use only Grade 1 US Military ammo cans which I lock inside a heavy metal cabinet. The cabinet is in range of the sprinkler system, should there be a fire I believe the ammo is safe. I also use desiccant inside my boxes to ward off any moisture even though the cans are air and water tight. While I have several MTM products I don't use their ammo storage boxes, just old school I guess. I have several of their gun storage boxes, great for pistols they stack real nice in the safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom