What is the benefit of getting a VA CCW permit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I notice a lot of folk here getting both the Florida and Virginia non-resident concealed carry permits. Is it really necessary to get Virginia when Florida's permit is recognized in just about all the states that Virginia's is??? If VA honor FL's permit, what's the need to get VA's at all??? :wtf:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    West Virgina

West Virginia does not recognize any non-resident permits. Prior to this year, there was enough ambiguity in the reciprocity agreement with VA that one could have argued a case that your non-resident permit was legal in WV.

The state legislature passed language this year that specifically prohibits it.

http://wvcdl.org/
    New Concealed Carry Reciprocity Law Takes Effect June 7

On April 3, 2007, Governor Joe Manchin signed HB 3074, a concealed carry reciprocity reform bill that WVCDL had asked him to veto because of our concerns about the bill's restrictive conditions for establishing reciprocity with other states and its discrimination against nonresident permits issued by reciprocal states. HB 3074 will take effect June 7, 2007.

WVCDL intends to advocate a permissive reading of HB 3074's conditions for establishing reciprocity with other states to maximize the number of states with which we could establish reciprocity. Regardless of how the new reciprocity law is interpreted, many states will, however, be unable to establish reciprocity with West Virginia and nonresident permit holders from reciprocal states will be unable to legally carry in West Virginia absent a successful court challenge to HB 3074's residency restriction.

WVCDL is working with West Virginia Attorney General Darrell McGraw to implement HB 3074 in a manner that expands our reciprocity with other states as broadly as the new law will permit. More information will be available here when it becomes available.

We will propose legislation in the 2008 legislative session to grant universal recognition to every other state's permits similar to existing universal recognition laws in Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, and Alaska.

The passage of this bill really screwed me over because the main objective in my getting a VA non-resident permit was because of spending so much time in WV. The time that I spend in VA is usually on a college campus so it doesn't do me much good.

I'm hoping that the court challenge is successful.

eddiev9

Aug 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Are there any other benefits of having a Non-Resident Virginia CCW Permit besides the fact you can carry a concealed weapon in certain states?
    I thought I heard somewhere that you can buy a handgun in the state of Virginia and not wait the 7-8 day waiting period. Is that true?

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Are there any other benefits of having a Non-Resident Virginia CCW Permit besides the fact you can carry a concealed weapon in certain states?
    I thought I heard somewhere that you can buy a handgun in the state of Virginia and not wait the 7-8 day waiting period. Is that true?

I don't believe that is true. I don't think any VA dealer will sell a handgun to a MD resident, regardless of which CCW permit you have.

I still have yet to find and real benefit of getting a VA permit in addition to the FL permit, so for now I'm just sticking with the FL permit only

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    I am getting a FLA permit, and bypassing VA. FLA has more reciprical agreements than does VA. Other than that, there is really no difference in one over the other (at least as far as I can tell).

WV will honor other states permits, but you must be a resident of that state. So if they have a reciprosity agreement with VA, and you have a VA RESIDENT permit, you could carry in WV. Also I beleive WV requires the permit holder to abide by any restrictions that the issuing state has on the permit.

I beleive Federal law prohibits selling handguns (maybe all guns) across state lines. Regardless of permit status you cannot go to VA and buy a gun and take possesion in VA. They'd have to send the gun here to a FFL holder, and then process the paperwork as if you'd bought the gun in MD.

I'm sure one of our legal minds here can correct the many mistakes I've made :smack:

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    xd40c:

You got about all of it right. Out-of-state long gun sales are OK as long as the laws of both the seller and buyer's home states are followed. Handguns require shipping to buyer state FFL, though.

I don't know about the WV thing: I would think that WVA only cares about people obeying WV laws.

mdsuave13

Zombie Survival Expert
    Nov 8, 2007
    ellicott city
    I guess it's just one of those things where you can pull out your wallet and show your friends all the states that will issue you a CCW, pointing out that MD won't. :sad20:

I was going to get the Va CCW non resident permit until i found out FL had more state reciprocity and it was the same price. WV will only accept CCW Resident permits, BUT you are always allowed to open carry in WV as long as you don't carry in charleston. (some old ass town law that is grandfathered)

the only thing i have never gotten a solid answer on is this: if you have a CCW permit and you are legal to carry in that state, you are in a legal area to carry, can you openly carry? or MUST it be concealed? I figure if you are allowed to hide it, you should be ok for openly carrying? I was going to just try it, but i figured i didn't feel like getting beat down, plus i didn't have the balls to commit a possible felony. So can anyone shed some light on this?

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    Just get the papework from the Florida site..

got to Packing.org and they ahve alot of informaiton on it ..

I will be going to florida next week and i think i am going to do the fingerprint screen thing there to speed up the process of getting my permit since i will be back there in APRIL 2008 for a friend's weddy..

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    from an e-mail I put together for friends, family, and coworkers.

There is not much reason to get a VA permit if you already have a FL one, There used to be some confusion with the PA police who thought at one time a VA non-res permit was OK, but a FL was not, it has since been clarified for the better in PA, and for the worse in WV.

Did you know that if you are a law abiding gun owner, you can legally carry a firearm for self defense in more than 30 states? All it takes is a valid Florida non-res permit. Maryland almost never will issue permits to honest people simply wanting the means to protect their family in public even though nearly all other states will. Reciprocity agreements sevral states have with Florida allow you to carry in nearby PA, and VA, among most others. The process to obtain a permit is fairly simple, and straightforward, follow the steps I have outlined below, and partially regain a constitutional right that has been all but extinguished in Maryland.

If you have any questions call or e-mail me, Jeremy

Go here and request an application

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/apply.html

fill it out

for the “training document” the MD handgun safety card works,If you have bought a pistol in the last few years this is the card that they gave you for watching the movie. If you need one, you can take this course in 30 min online

here: http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

photos can be taken anywhere, or with a digital camera and printed out, just make sure the pixels are not noticeable.

Here is the schedule and locations for fingerprinting

http://www.mdsp.org/services/fingerprinting.asp

and to have it notarized, all of these locations can do it

http://www.upsstore.com/

send it in with a $117 money order, make sure all forms are filled out, and double check to make sure all your copies are in order per the instructions with the kit. If all goes well in 30-90 days the permit will arrive in the mail

and as a bonus, the permit is issued by Charles Bronson

send to anyone else you might think is interested

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    how long does it take from the time you have requested the applications until they arrive? Ive been waiting for a couple weeks- really want to get my permit by march... dont know if thatll happen.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    how long does it take from the time you have requested the applications until they arrive? Ive been waiting for a couple weeks- really want to get my permit by march... dont know if thatll happen.

If you are waiting on the FLA. CCW, I received mine in about 30 days.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Atlantic Guns just got another bunch of them in, so I rode up there to pick some up. Whenever the ones (2) I ordered come in, they are up for grabs.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    IDriveB5, I'm sorry, I misread your prvious statement, the application only took about a week, the actual license took about a month from the time I sent my application in.:o

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Cool deal, I hope to have my application sent out on Monday. Hopefully i can get my prints done at the local station tomorrow or early monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom