• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    .38/.357 is my favorite of all the lever actions I've shoot. Older the better, easy to reload, brass is plentiful, bullets are easy to cast, and easy on the shoulder. So So for a meat gun. Highest capacity magazine.

Take a look at Henry. I do not own one yet but I have one on my wish list.

briwayjones

But realistically, what's the furthest shot you expect to take in this area hunting deer?? The furthest shot I've had yet on a deer in the tri-state area has only been around 160 - 175 yards, well within the 30-30's comfort zone.

For the AVERAGE distance in this area, the 30-30 will do just fine. If your in a more open area, exceeding 300 yards consistently - then yeah, by all means, step up some.

Yeah if you're in the woods around here you're not going to be shooting that far. Personally I hunt in WV on family property. There are woods but also fields with shots that could go up to 400yds. Although we don't shoot that far. But we get chance at shots fairly often from about 250yds - 320+yds. Personal preference! Personally I don't know where I might be hunting in the future so I prefer a gun with the versatility that you could use in the woods or reach out and touch some meat with also.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    It looks like the Terminator after most of his flesh was ripped/shot/burned off...SOOOOOOOOOOO fugly.

That's probably the best description I've seen of that abomination lol.

Why don't we just throw a laser/flashlight combo and those grips with the finger grooves on a SAA while we're at it? ;)

Beemer

Sep 12, 2012
    I gave up hunting decades ago and recently started shooting pistols but now, all of a sudden all this lever rifle talk has me thinking I should own one again. And, the availablity of the ammo for a 30-30 is feeding my gunaholic lusts. Sheesh. Mo money. Mo money

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Regulated now or in the New Md. Order?

Looking over the lists of specific regulated long guns and the rules about what's in the future "evil banned scary things" list, I'm seeing that lever guns should be good for C&C now and probably won't be attacked like personal defense weapons under the SB281/etc rules.

Am I right, or am I reading too much into things?

IANAL, and won't have the spare cash for the rifle I want (whichever that turns out to be) until the summer anyway, but it can't hurt to check around...

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Pre-64 Winchester '94 in 30-30. A Classic, and a collectible.

Teratos is right on with that. If you can find a nice used Winchester '94 check the serial number by googling the online Winchester serial number database. Buy one made before 1964 as it has substantially more collector value and $ value should you wish to sell it later...

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    For the OP, the collectible Winchester is a good idea.

For me, I'm waiting to pick up a new .357 revolver, so I'm going for something in a 38-357 chambering. Also more interested in a shooter/plinker/SD piece than collector's value. But collecting is fun too!

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    This thread is useless without pics:

levergun.jpg

Marlin 1894LTDSS in .357 magnum

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    I started this thread in Feb 13!
    With SB281 FU Omalley Bill it has taken me until yesterday to make that purchase!

Winchester 94 30-30 Cal and manufactured in 1972!
    It needs some work as you can tell from the pictures, however for $300 out the door I think I got a good deal!
    IMG_2206_zps29a3cadf.jpg

15fe61a9-0052-47f0-a5d8-badf9d273fc7_zpscf3660b6.jpg

5942e8bc-b87e-482c-a0ef-1fa5087c80a0_zpsf22c97a8.jpg

IMG_2205_zps647fe396.jpg

IMG_2202_zps851f53eb.jpg

IMG_2201_zps27ec52af.jpg

IMG_2198_zps5be612c9.jpg

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    Waiting for my 1970 Winchester 1894 to arrive. Gunbroker $295. Ridden hard in Minnesota. That's what a 94 is all about. Once I see it live, might think about a stock refinish and cerakote job. All depends...

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Waiting for my 1970 Winchester 1894 to arrive. Gunbroker $295. Ridden hard in Minnesota. That's what a 94 is all about. Once I see it live, might think about a stock refinish and cerakote job. All depends...

What caliber? You are right I would like to find one new in box, however I do not believe we would pay $300!

00 Del

Jan 1, 2012
    The Dena, MD
    I am looking to purchase a Lever Action Rifle and I have searched the forum for some information about brands and models however have not been able to find any topics to my situation.
    When I go into gun shops some will point me to one brand over another because of what feels like to me how much money they make off the brand. I have had some tell me Henry are not well made.

I am looking for an reliable rifle that would be used for hunting as well as a rifle if the SH** hits the fan. A short barrel would be ideal as my wife would also use the Rifle.

Also caliber comes to mind as another topic, while I feel like a 30-30 would be the best caliber I am looking at maybe the 38-357?
    If Ammo is this hard to find now I want to look to the future as well with a caliber that would be available.

Help me spend my money, just not much of it..:D

For a .357 I would hold out for the Browning B-92 in .357. The Winchester 94 is a great rifle, I always seem to own at least one, but the Model 92 is much smoother. I keep a model 92 in .44 around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom