• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    I am looking to purchase a Lever Action Rifle and I have searched the forum for some information about brands and models however have not been able to find any topics to my situation.
    When I go into gun shops some will point me to one brand over another because of what feels like to me how much money they make off the brand. I have had some tell me Henry are not well made.

I am looking for an reliable rifle that would be used for hunting as well as a rifle if the SH** hits the fan. A short barrel would be ideal as my wife would also use the Rifle.

Also caliber comes to mind as another topic, while I feel like a 30-30 would be the best caliber I am looking at maybe the 38-357?
    If Ammo is this hard to find now I want to look to the future as well with a caliber that would be available.

Help me spend my money, just not much of it..:D

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Hmm... .357 lever actions are tough to find. As for SHTF rifles, I'd recommend something more up to date - semiauto, magazine fed, and in a modern military caliber. Your mileage may vary on the ideal.

When it comes to .30/30s there's really two big options: the Winchester 94 and Marlin 336. Both of these can vary in terms of build quality. I'd avoid Post-'64 Winchesters and newer, Remington-made 336s. They're pretty widely available and despite this recent madness, shouldn't be too insane in price.

EDIT: Didn't see the new posts until mine was done. But I'm glad we agree.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    A Winchester 94 in 30-30 has been on my bucket list forever, but for some reason I always get sidetracked and wind up buying something else.

djleepanda

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 10, 2011
    Elkridge
    so sexy.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
      Untitled.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 588

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    That Mossberg lever gun is the ugliest lever rifle I have ever seen, and i like Mossberg's products. I picked one up at a show and just said to myself, "why?" A Winchester, Marlin or even overseas clones feel better than that "assault lever gun". I think a Marlin in .44, .45LC, or .357 would be quite handy for putting meat on the table and defending the homestead. I have 45-70s and a .35Rem Marlins, great guns.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Take a look at the Henry brand of rifles.
    US made and have a good rep.:)

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I'd say look at a '92 Winchester copy in .45LC. They are affordable and the .45 is effective out to 100yds without a ton of recoil. .44mag if you want a little more power.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Get a Marlin 1894 in either .44 Magnum or .357 Magnum, preferably one that is PRE- 2009.
    The post-2009 Marlins that have a "REM" Proofmark on the left side of the barrel (same side as the feed gate) are spotty, in regard to quality control.

The proofmark that you want to see states "JM" on the right side of the barrel, near the receiver.

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Marlin 336 has a nice flat top receiver thats easy to scope if you're going that route. Newer made 336's are said to have quality problems, though. I'd look for something older if you can find it. I just grabbed an early 70's 336 a few weeks ago. Very happy with it.

tsphillips

Mar 4, 2012
    Finksburg
    I've got a Marlin 1894 in 44 magnum. I've got to say it's probably the best rifle I have owned. It's handy and reliable, very fast and accurate follow-up shots, and ample power for hunting most critters.

Tom

briwayjones

Browning also makes lever action rifles but they are pricey. I have a Henry .22 and have had mixed feelings about it the whole time. I have never been able to shoot it well. I don't know if it's because I haven't gotten a decent scope on it, or if it's me. I don't have trouble shooting other guns though. I have never understood what the appeal of .30-30s are? They are a good brush gun but that's about it. They are lacking in the power department.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    So one of my questions have been narrowed down. Not 30-30! Maybe...as of 10:55pm
    Thanks everyone some great information from folks that are using what I want to buy.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    A better question would be what's the value on a 5 digit serial number Winchester 1894? With very good bluing I might add.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Marlin 336 has a nice flat top receiver thats easy to scope if you're going that route. Newer made 336's are said to have quality problems, though. I'd look for something older if you can find it. I just grabbed an early 70's 336 a few weeks ago. Very happy with it.

Marlin 336 or Winchester 94 if you go the .30-30 Winchester route. Both are fine lever action rifles and both have stood the test of time. Wouldn't turn down a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington for the deer woods either, but the .35 comparatively speaking might not endear you to the lady in your life. Lots of Marlin 336's around from before the Remington buyout that can be found used but not abused, and it would be my choice in a scoped lever action over the Winchester 94, but that's just me. They're both damned good rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom