• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    OK so, I have an LMT M203 receiver. In order to add a barrel to it I need to register it as a DD. When I do so I need to engrave it.

Here is my question. When I engrave it, do I need to engrave the receiver or can I engrave the barrel as it will be part of the M203 then?

Dave

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just my guess, but if the receiver is the registered weapon(serial number), then I would think the receiver. The barrel, in and of it's self, is a non issue(ATF wise), then shouldn't it be the receiver? Remove the bbl, it's no longer part of the M-203. Don't take my word for it though.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Just my guess, but if the receiver is the registered weapon(serial number), then I would think the receiver. The barrel, in and of it's self, is a non issue(ATF wise), then shouldn't it be the receiver? Remove the bbl, it's no longer part of the M-203. Don't take my word for it though.

Yeah I figured. That would be the safest bet. Unfortunately my trust name is REALLY long (my fault) so I am trying to find a place for it to fit. Need to see specs of how big the letters need to be and see if I can put in on the slant edge between the receiver and the barrel (but on the receiver itself).

Dave

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Yeah I figured. That would be the safest bet. Unfortunately my trust name is REALLY long (my fault) so I am trying to find a place for it to fit. Need to see specs of how big the letters need to be and see if I can put in on the slant edge between the receiver and the barrel (but on the receiver itself).

Dave

All of the engraving must be to a depth of 0.003 inches. The serial number has to be at least 1/16 of an inch tall, and though there is no specific requirement for a height of the other information, most places go with the 1/16" for that also.

If I were you, I'd drive down to Rockville and see the guys at Engage. Their laser engraver is awesome, and you can see where it's going to put everything before it actually does any cutting, which is really nice if you're not totally sure.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Dave

I don't believe there is a minimum size, only minimum depth.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    All of the engraving must be to a depth of 0.003 inches. The serial number has to be at least 1/16 of an inch tall, and though there is no specific requirement for a height of the other information, most places go with the 1/16" for that also.

If I were you, I'd drive down to Rockville and see the guys at Engage. Their laser engraver is awesome, and you can see where it's going to put everything before it actually does any cutting, which is really nice if you're not totally sure.

The serial number and such were engraved from the factory. This is an LMT2032003 40mm launcher.

If height is not an issue, only depth, then cool. Will check with Engage and see if I can make an appointment and have it done while I wait.

Dave

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    The serial number and such were engraved from the factory. This is an LMT2032003 40mm launcher.

If height is not an issue, only depth, then cool. Will check with Engage and see if I can make an appointment and have it done while I wait.

Dave

You can. I like to do the Engraving on the tube on the Colt Form 1 DDs we did last, but totally up to you. Tends to be a little less conspicuous.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    You can. I like to do the Engraving on the tube on the Colt Form 1 DDs we did last, but totally up to you. Tends to be a little less conspicuous.

It is legal/OK to do it on the tube instead of the receiver? I used the SN on the receiver as the SN for the DD build.

If so, I will get a tube, once the Form 1 is approved, and bring it down.

Can I get it engraved while I wait?

Dave

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Marking is legal on the tube. Same can be done for SBRs (can be on the bbl.) There is a minimum size (1/16") AND depth to all NFA items.

IMO, do the tube. If you ever sell, the receiver isn't all jacked up w/ your trust info (no one ever wants to see that) and can go title 1. They could then get their own tube. You could keep your marked tube as the inexpensive part (and keep the DD.) I would think if the tube is the DD, you could pick your own serial too. You said you picked the same as the receiver but I don't think it would have mattered. You should still be able to put the tube on different receivers if you ever wanted to. Just won't be cool all matching;)

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Marking is legal on the tube. Same can be done for SBRs (can be on the bbl.) There is a minimum size (1/16") AND depth to all NFA items.

IMO, do the tube. If you ever sell, the receiver isn't all jacked up w/ your trust info (no one ever wants to see that) and can go title 1. They could then get their own tube. You could keep your marked tube as the inexpensive part (and keep the DD.) I would think if the tube is the DD, you could pick your own serial too. You said you picked the same as the receiver but I don't think it would have mattered. You should still be able to put the tube on different receivers if you ever wanted to. Just won't be cool all matching;)

SN is only NFA marking with a height requirement. Everything else is depth requirement only and "conspicuous".

I typically like the tube for the same reason, you can always sell the title 1 receiver again that is then unmarked. You can absolutely get it done while you wait.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    SN is only NFA marking with a height requirement. Everything else is depth requirement only and "conspicuous".

I typically like the tube for the same reason, you can always sell the title 1 receiver again that is then unmarked. You can absolutely get it done while you wait.

Even though I used the SN from the receiver can that also be put on the tube? Can they have the same SN since they are together? Does the SN need to go on the Tube? Or, do I need to cancel the Form 1 and enter a new one with a made up serial number to be put on the tube?

I prefer to engrave the tube as well. For all the reasons stated above.

As soon as I get the Form 1 back I will come in and get it done.

Thanks!

Dave

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Two manufacturers can have the same serial. No problem w/ a Ruger and a S&W both having the same;) Hell, two different models from the same manuf can have the same serial (10/22 vs Ruger American). Just can't have two of the same modal have the same serial.
    I have a Bowers suppressor w/ a matching serial to my M11A1.

Thats awesome! I reread the CFR and, sure enough, only the serial is specified to height. Sneaky! :)

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Makers of NFA firearms may adopt the original manufacturers info for certain things, including SN, no need to re-Mark it. https://www.atf.gov/file/4881/download

Even though I used the SN from the receiver can that also be put on the tube? Can they have the same SN since they are together? Does the SN need to go on the Tube? Or, do I need to cancel the Form 1 and enter a new one with a made up serial number to be put on the tube?

I prefer to engrave the tube as well. For all the reasons stated above.

As soon as I get the Form 1 back I will come in and get it done.

Thanks!

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom