• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Not correct. The threading on the barrels just have to be the same, or you just need to buy an adapter. I plan on using the same suppressor for .223, 5.56, and .300blk.

1/2x28
    5/8x24

There are others, but those are the most common for rifles.

http://blog.silencershop.com/common-barrel-thread-reference/

Thread adapters:

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/THREADED-ADAPTERS-c48.htm

Okay...thank you for that info as well. Btw, if you are going to build your own, what size can are you planning to use?

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Well I get that. I just meant the supersonic blackout rounds are enjoyable. More recoil and, IMO, more explosive impact. Fun for shooting steel or interesting (READ: one shot) targets. I haven't shot subsonic but I'm not particularly interested due to pistol-like muzzle energy. Either way, I don't doubt you'll have a blast.

I'm sure I will have a blast! Now I'm actually getting a little excited about building my 300 blk pistol!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks for the info. I did purchase a spacer for the Osprey for fixed barrels, now I just need to get a thread adapter since you can't get a piston with 5/8 X 24 threads.

Be careful with thread adaptors. They are not often concentric and tend to unscrew when you dont want them to. Check them thoroughly when installing them, preferrably with a suppressor alignment gauge (geissele makes a 5.56 and 7.62 model). I wont use thread adaptors because of the problems I have seem with them, but your reasoning is sound for your proposed application. Just proceed with caution.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Be careful with thread adaptors. They are not often concentric and tend to unscrew when you dont want them to. Check them thoroughly when installing them, preferrably with a suppressor alignment gauge (geissele makes a 5.56 and 7.62 model). I wont use thread adaptors because of the problems I have seem with them, but your reasoning is sound for your proposed application. Just proceed with caution.

Thanks...I will certainly heed your advice - will also look into getting the alignment gauge.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    You need to shim the mount to each gun. I believe it is best just dedicated to one pistol.

What do you mean you need to shim the mount to each gun? I use mine on multiple pistols, all you do is unlock the cam arm, rotate it to proper orientation, and then lock it back down. Incredibly easy, no shims required.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    What do you mean you need to shim the mount to each gun? I use mine on multiple pistols, all you do is unlock the cam arm, rotate it to proper orientation, and then lock it back down. Incredibly easy, no shims required.

I was mistaken about that. I looked it up after the fact. My bad

For the OP. You do not need to use thread adapters for your rifle can. You can use a suppressor mount/flash hider instead.

http://sdtacticalarms.com/SDTA-Muzzle-Break_p_65.html

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Earlier she asked about making a suppressor in 5.56 or .30cal and how they could be switched between rifles with different threads.

You are absolutely correct...and I've decided to go ahead and build the .30 cal can to use with both calibers. Thank you for the inputs!

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Better to build the suppressor for supersonic and never want to fire supersonic through it, than to build it smaller for subsonic and then want to shoot supersonic through it.

Other than the noise, I have no idea why people would want to shoot subsonic versus supersonic. Does breaking the sound barrier have something to do with accuracy? More speed means more energy on target. More energy on target means better knock down power and a greater chance of putting game down or a person completely out of a fight.

I guess I can see the utility in reduced noise when shooting/hunting in urban areas where the noise would possibly piss of the neighbors.

The biggest problem with supersonic is that you cannot suppress the sonic boom (more like a crack). A subsonic load will be quieter because of this.

There are instabilities when a bullet transitions through the sound barrier. This can negatively affect accuracy. This is is most pronounced in long range rifle shooting where accuracy degrades past the distance it drops to subsonic.

While more energy tends to be better, the best answer is not so clear cut. Some people think the smaller faster bullets (favoring energy) is better, while others favor a larger slower bullet (favoring momentum) There are pluses and minuses to each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom