• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Not saying anything, but Edgeworks and Red Hill Tactical (hagerstown) both have some very nice steel on display. Not all of it is legal to carry but, hey, you can always collect. Then carry when it is no longer a question of legality.

I would also suggest looking at some of the stuff Shiv Works has done. I don't suggest carrying them in Marylandistan, but sometimes you do what you have to. Their push knife is very well thought out. I have handled one belonging to a friend. Not my chosen blade type but it was well made. The clinch pick, however, is another critter. I'd suggest getting the trainer model of either (or both) that you buy as well. Great for manipulation practice. DO NOT use the trainers when working with a partner during FoF. They are steel and will still injure very easily.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    OK, order placed......let's see.

The one I had was sharp as hell out of the box, but I never used it for much so I have no idea how well that edge held up. I gave it to a friend before he deployed to Iraq, no idea what became of it from there.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Yes, downtown Frederick. I'll let you know if I see them. It's definately worth a stop if you're close by

I've been in there before - in what I now refer to as "the time before"; back when we used to go places and do things.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The one I had was sharp as hell out of the box, but I never used it for much so I have no idea how well that edge held up. I gave it to a friend before he deployed to Iraq, no idea what became of it from there.

For less than $70, I'm up for trying it. The other one would have been around $130 by the time I got everything for it.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    You can’t carry knives for self-defense. Good luck justifying another utility for the knife OP linked. Sure you could get creative, but do you really want to deal with that headache? Penalty is an up to 3 year misdemeanor

Who said it’s for self-defense? Could be used as a letter opener. As long as not being carried illegally, the burden of proof is on the state. Do I recommend it? Nope. But not illegal if carried openly with no ill intent.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Threads like these are precisely why I went to the trouble of writing out a full legality guide for the state:
    http://weaponlaws.wikidot.com/maryland-knife-laws

All there in plain English with citations and case law references, and it's been updated recently. I know some people are going to read this and say "but I thought/heard..." So you did, but without a citation I would not take it seriously.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Threads like these are precisely why I went to the trouble of writing out a full legality guide for the state:

All there in plain English with citations and case law references, and it's been updated recently. I know some people are going to read this and say "but I thought/heard..." So you did, but without a citation I would not take it seriously.

Awesome! Thank you.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Awesome, thanks. I saved it to my favorites

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011

Stop...facts are like poison on the internet. :lol2:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

The bacon 1991 case is cool, because it looks like it allows someone to carry a folding knife that's locked open in a similar manner that you'd just carry a fixed blade. So it looks like if I wanted a weak-side belt-mounted knife to grab in a hurry, I could toss a locked open folder in some kydex and call it a day. Doing the same thing with a fixed blade could get you in trouble if it's concealed.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    The bacon 1991 case is cool, because it looks like it allows someone to carry a folding knife that's locked open in a similar manner that you'd just carry a fixed blade. So it looks like if I wanted a weak-side belt-mounted knife to grab in a hurry, I could toss a locked open folder in some kydex and call it a day. Doing the same thing with a fixed blade could get you in trouble if it's concealed.

I have been in the market for a custom kydex sheath for a while now for this exact reason, though I haven't found a maker I like for the job yet.

I did carry on open and locked large size folder during the earlier months of quarantine when I had to make store runs (along with OC and at least one blunt-force weapon), though my sheath was a crude DIY job. Made me really want to step up the search for someone to do a custom Kydex.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    If I were going to carry an OTF auto knife, it might be the Lightning.

Very sharp, fairly durable, and at $30, wouldn't care if it got confiscated.

https://www.grindworx.com/item--Black-Lightning-DA-OTF--396

lightning-black-satin-large.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You can’t carry knives for self-defense. Good luck justifying another utility for the knife OP linked. Sure you could get creative, but do you really want to deal with that headache? Penalty is an up to 3 year misdemeanor

It's my "tuck knife" for carpet. They can eat me.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

Thanks for that. I may have missed any reference in it as to folks with a MD wear and carry permit, and how that affects things.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Thanks for that. I may have missed any reference in it as to folks with a MD wear and carry permit, and how that affects things.

That's an excellent point. The permits are so hard to obtain that I often neglect them. 4-101 actually contains a exception:
    (b) This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon:
    (3) a holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;

Which pretty much means permit holders have no restrictions on carry under state law.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Not a fan of push daggers, they are simple and easy to use, but don't offer much in the way of control, just stabs a couple of inches deep. I'm a fan of the Karambit, great for control and grappling, especially as backup to a firearm if someone grabs you before you can draw, small and can be folding/concealed. The TDI has some of the same benefits, but built primarily to use with a more intuitive forward grip. If I was going to OC a fixed blade anyway, would go with a 7-9" fighting knife, way more useful, way more reach, way more useable techniques.

PS not sure where you tried to get the Tertiary from but they are probably idiots, some retailers go overboard with CYA/BGOS in the knife world too.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not a fan of push daggers, they are simple and easy to use, but don't offer much in the way of control, just stabs a couple of inches deep. I'm a fan of the Karambit, great for control and grappling, especially as backup to a firearm if someone grabs you before you can draw, small and can be folding/concealed. The TDI has some of the same benefits, but built primarily to use with a more intuitive forward grip. If I was going to OC a fixed blade anyway, would go with a 7-9" fighting knife, way more useful, way more reach, way more useable techniques.

PS not sure where you tried to get the Tertiary from but they are probably idiots, some retailers go overboard with CYA/BGOS in the knife world too.

It's a throat/neck knife. That's all it does. You don't want to get in a knife fight with one of these. That's why the name "Tertiary". It's a last resort defensive weapon made for close in fighting.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT