• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Everything else being equal, 124g should shoot a tad higher than 115g.

Some of my older handguns stovepipe/FTE with 115g but work fine with 124g.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    For me it's the difference between 4.5 grs. of Bullseye powder for the 115 gr. bullet, or 4 grs. with the 124.... :)

I honestly can't tell much if any difference in either recoil or the way they print on the target (high / low etc.) out of my Glocks (17 & 19) or my M&P fullsize or compact.

In terms of terminal ballistics, that's an entirely different subject altogether, and I won't even begin to try and answer that one, there's a whole host of factors that would come in to play.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Any time you change any of the many variables in shooting you will potentially change the results you get. Whether this will be noticeable or not will depend on how good a shooter you are. If the best group you can shoot is six inches then an inch or two change won't be noticed but if you shoot one ragged hole you will know. As the range increases the minor effects become more noticeable. Changes in bullet weight, design, or velocity can also effect the terminal ballistics if you are shooting something other than paper.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    with factory ammo, recoil will generally be larger with the smaller-for-caliber bullets, just look at the muzzle energy numbers on the ammo boxes.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. 115 vs 124gr generally poi difference of +/- 1.5in @ 25yds . At 5-10yds that can generally be ignored .

2. Some loads of 115gr that also are on the low side of velocity pressure in some pistols can have cycling issues / be more sensitive to borderline limp wristing. Not common, but not unheard of . 124gr rarely does, nor 115gr loaded to at least average vels .

3. Some pistols will show an accuraccy preference for a particular bullet weight, but at 5-7yds blasting, you couldn't notice .

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    1. 115 vs 124gr generally poi difference of +/- 1.5in @ 25yds . At 5-10yds that can generally be ignored .

2. Some loads of 115gr that also are on the low side of velocity pressure in some pistols can have cycling issues / be more sensitive to borderline limp wristing. Not common, but not unheard of . 124gr rarely does, nor 115gr loaded to at least average vels .

3. Some pistols will show an accuraccy preference for a particular bullet weight, but at 5-7yds blasting, you couldn't notice .

Winchester "white box" 115 gr. is somewhat infamous for the cycling issues you refer to. With a Glock at least, the fix is usually as simple as using a lighter recoil spring.

With the vast majority of garden variety 115 and 124 gr. factory loads, such as Federal American Eagle and Winchester white box, which are sold by the truckload at every Walmart store across the nation, the difference in muzzle velocity and energy is miniscule, so the difference in felt recoil for the average shooter is likely to be imperceptible.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Winchester "white box" 115 gr. is somewhat infamous for the cycling issues you refer to. With a Glock at least, the fix is usually as simple as using a lighter recoil spring.

With the vast majority of garden variety 115 and 124 gr. factory loads, such as Federal American Eagle and Winchester white box, which are sold by the truckload at every Walmart store across the nation, the difference in muzzle velocity and energy is miniscule, so the difference in felt recoil for the average shooter is likely to be imperceptible.
    Great, gonna be fun using this brand new 500 rd box of Winchester white box 115 gr. Wish I knew this first.:sad20:

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Great, gonna be fun using this brand new 500 rd box of Winchester white box 115 gr. Wish I knew this first.:sad20:

Hey, don't sweat it just yet. What kind of gun are you using..??

White box 115 gr. does have a bit of a reputation as being under powered, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll have issues. You'll just have to try it and see what happens.

The good news is if it's a Glock a reduced power recoil spring is an easy and inexpensive solution, and if you like the ammo (cheap, reasonably accurate, and plentiful) for target shooting, it's worth the effort and minimal cost in the long run... :)

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Hey, don't sweat it just yet. What kind of gun are you using..??

White box 115 gr. does have a bit of a reputation as being under powered, but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll have issues. You'll just have to try it and see what happens.

The good news is if it's a Glock a reduced power recoil spring is an easy and inexpensive solution, and if you like the ammo (cheap, reasonably accurate, and plentiful) for target shooting, it's worth the effort and minimal cost in the long run... :)
    S&W M&P 2.0 and Shield Performance Ctr. Picking up a Walther Q5 Match next week, might not use in that. Oh, & a High Point carbine.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    S&W M&P 2.0 and Shield Performance Ctr. Picking up a Walther Q5 Match next week, might not use in that. Oh, & a High Point carbine.

I have several M&P's in various calibers, but I don't have any experience with swapping out recoil springs on them because I've never had any cycling issues with any of them.

If I had to go to Vegas and place bets i'd say your Shield will be OK, ie. shorter recoil stroke and less slide/barrel mass, but I could also be horribly wrong.... :o

Just try the stuff and see what happens, it may work just fine.... <fingers crossed> :)

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I have several M&P's in various calibers, but I don't have any experience with swapping out recoil springs on them because I've never had any cycling issues with any of them.

Just try the stuff and see what happens, it may work just fine.... <fingers crossed> :)
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. After I blast this away, I'll stick with R.E.M. UMC for my cheap bulk plinking ammo. Never had a single issue ever with that stuff.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I rarely have cycling issues . I use strong grip both in the sense of how I grasp, and applied finger force . YMMV .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom