• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BartExp

Ultimate Member
    I asked about cleaning and lubing supplies in another thread. The issue of corrosion was mentioned. My gun will be in Ocean City (windows open every time I can). I know our bike take a salty air beating. Any concerns I should think about on a handgun (or two).

Dave

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    Are they going to be in a safe? If so, you could use a variety of products to keep the humidity out of the safe. If they won't be in a safe I find as long as you keep an eye them and wipe them down with some type of oil (even just regular CLP) every couple months they should be fine. Check your barrels of course too.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    BirchWood Casey Sheath or Barricade has worked well for me for many years.

Just wipe down with a rag with a bit on it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I asked about cleaning and lubing supplies in another thread. The issue of corrosion was mentioned. My gun will be in Ocean City (windows open every time I can). I know our bike take a salty air beating. Any concerns I should think about on a handgun (or two).

Dave

So you live down that way? Or are you talking about just visiting for a couple days/weeks at a time?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I've been going there for years, staying weeks at a time and carrying as well. You don't have to do anything extra than you normally would do after shooting. People here think every occasion of gun anything is an emergency that needs extra attention. It's not like you're leaving it on the beach in the surf.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    Normal maintenance will be fine. Now I have an 870 that most would be ashamed of because of the salt spray while duck hunting. I swear it rusts as I watch it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For the OP's situation, normal wipedown procedures. Do so somewhat more often if you feel the need to be extra belt & suspenders.

OTOH , this can be a real thing under the right/ wrong conditions.

One of my herd is a NM B'Hawk , that was stored for years in a boat. On the Bay. Windows closed. No climate control. My nickname for it is " World's Uglist Ruger " .

The steel parts didn't rust. The alloy components had blotches and pits . Shoots very accurately though .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom