• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mistaforty

May 25, 2013
    UPPER MARLBORO, MD
    any one aware of one in the area. ive seen such variance in the CCW classes I assume instructors create their own curriculum and theories, but is there a course that "certifies" CCW instructors.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    The Maryland State Police certify instructors based on successful completion of a MPCTC or a nationally recognized instructor program.

I would suggest;

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor

The curriculum is spelled out on The Governors Firearm Safety Act of 2013. The MSP also provides a suggested syllabus.

mistaforty

May 25, 2013
    UPPER MARLBORO, MD
    The Maryland State Police certify instructors based on successful completion of a MPCTC or a nationally recognized instructor program.

I would suggest;

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor

The curriculum is spelled out on The Governors Firearm Safety Act of 2013. The MSP also provides a suggested syllabus.

Thanks Yea I'm familiar with those. I think what I want to do or would rather teach is beyond the scope of the MWC class. Probably should just be a separate class and just stick to the requirements in the MWC

Dukes Defense

Oct 2, 2012
    any one aware of one in the area. ive seen such variance in the CCW classes I assume instructors create their own curriculum and theories, but is there a course that "certifies" CCW instructors.

United States Concealed Carry Association (USCCA) Owned by Tim Schmidt runs CCW instructor courses which I understand are very good. His book and training materials are all very high quality. I don't use his materials, but If you're looking not to have to create your own curriculum than you could do a lot worse.

Having said that, if you do not have any previous firearms training experience then I would start with and/or in parallel seek out NRA Instructor training and/or more advanced handgun courses before you jump in and teach concealed carry. Again, that's if you do not have previous adult teaching experience and experience in teaching firearms.

mistaforty

May 25, 2013
    UPPER MARLBORO, MD
    United States Concealed Carry Association (USCCA) Owned by Tim Schmidt runs CCW instructor courses which I understand are very good. His book and training materials are all very high quality. I don't use his materials, but If you're looking not to have to create your own curriculum than you could do a lot worse.

Having said that, if you do not have any previous firearms training experience then I would start with and/or in parallel seek out NRA Instructor training and/or more advanced handgun courses before you jump in and teach concealed carry. Again, that's if you do not have previous adult teaching experience and experience in teaching firearms.

Thanks. I've been an instructor for years but on the federal, security and LE side which is a credential driven culture for lack of a better way to put it. Typically companies/agencies want to see copies of your certs or they won't use you. I am a md HQI as well. This retail side of it seems to be a free for all lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom