• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bang1964

May 3, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Several of the dealers to whom I have spoken about this are not so much worried about the MSP or the Fed as they are about this scenario:

- FFL waits 7 days
    - On 8th day gets NTN and approval from Fed using long gun process
    - Releasing firearms to customer
    - Customer kills someone
    - 2 months later, MSP denies application based on database info not available to fed
    - Family of victim sues FFL

This is exactly why MSI and others have filed suit against the MSP -- they are asking the courts to confirm that FFLs are not liable for such civil actions if they release after 7 days because the MSP failed to perform their check in the time required by law. Don't blame the FFL's; they are only protecting their businesses from potential lawsuits. If you want to fight these delays, donate to MSI.

It's a good point but it is still excuses,excuse,excuses. I have been told its against the law. We can't release without NICS. Our insurance rates will go up. MSP told us not to release.

Long as you follow the law you are covered, if you are concerned, get a waiver signed.

Bang1964

May 3, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Just tell us the truth. It's legal to release after 7th day but we are not comfortable releasing without support from MSP.

I respect every dealers decision to release or not to release.

Bang1964

May 3, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Maybe if they are scared about law suits here's a senecio,

Customer is tired of waiting, wants a refund. Dealer refuses or charges a restocking fee.

Customer points out he waited patiently but is taking to long and by law he can take possession. By not releasing the gun he should be allowed to get full refund.

Ravens52Fan20

May 14, 2013
    Frederick
    When the Maryland House of Delegates was getting ready to vote on SB281 I emailed every single Delegate one at a time addressing them by name. Out of the few responses I received, only one said he was in support. That Delegate stated cases from the supreme court where they have ruled several times that states have the right to regulate firearms. Here's my queston: What would their ruling be when a state hides behind "regulation" to drastically slow the ability of the citzens to legally procure firearms? Doesn't that equate to a violation of the 2nd Ammendment because they are denying the citizen of their 2nd ammendment right for 60 + days?

Submitted on 3/19 for Glock 22 Gen 4
    65 Days and counting
    MSP website update says currently processing 3/19 so with fingers crossed, hopefully soon

Ravens52Fan20

May 14, 2013
    Frederick
    When the Maryland House of Delegates was getting ready to vote on SB281 I emailed every single Delegate one at a time addressing them by name. Out of the few responses I received, only one said he was in support. That Delegate stated cases from the supreme court where they have ruled several times that states have the right to regulate firearms. Here's my queston: What would their ruling be when a state hides behind "regulation" to drastically slow the ability of the citzens to legally procure firearms? Doesn't that equate to a violation of the 2nd Ammendment because they are denying the citizen of their 2nd ammendment right for 60 + days?

65 Days and counting
    MSP website update says currently processing 3/19 so with fingers crossed, hopefully soon

I see their loophole now in the current situation. "It's the FFL not releasing, not MSP." But I believe my argument is valid for after Oct 1.

JustCuz

Non-Expendable Citizen
    Aug 25, 2012
    Hanover, MD
    Long as you follow the law you are covered, if you are concerned, get a waiver signed.

It's not that simple. Right now, no matter what an FFL does, they can still get sued. Even if they are completely in the right, do you have any idea how much it costs to defend against a wrongful death civil suit? And once you've won in court, your insurance company can still cancel your policy based on the costs they incurred for your defense.

You should really give a lot of credit to the FFLs who have the balls to release on the 8th day instead of ragging on the ones that don't.

Bang1964

May 3, 2013
    Ellicott City
    It's not that simple. Right now, no matter what an FFL does, they can still get sued. Even if they are completely in the right, do you have any idea how much it costs to defend against a wrongful death civil suit? And once you've won in court, your insurance company can still cancel your policy based on the costs they incurred for your defense.

You should really give a lot of credit to the FFLs who have the balls to release on the 8th day instead of ragging on the ones that don't.

I have 2 purchase I am waiting for and if I do buy another regulated forearm, I am buying from a dealer that will release to me. It's looks like it hit 80 days and soon will hit 90.

Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    If I privately sell a handgun through the State Police barracks, are the wait times elongated for those transfers too? Or can I release it after the 7 day period?

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    If I privately sell a handgun through the State Police barracks, are the wait times elongated for those transfers too? Or can I release it after the 7 day period?

Release after the 7 day period. I believe if the trooper "sees" something questionable in his/her initial check you may be advised otherwise. But on the 8th day you may release by law.

Sig Snob

May 20, 2012
    Constitutional Firearms just announced a 10 day release. Please see the details under our threads in our IP section.

Thanks,
    Paul

LaszerBranes

May 25, 2013

65 Days and counting
    Been waiting since March 9th, 2013. Went in yesterday to make sure I did not miss the call and nope still going to have to wait. This sucks!

Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    Release after the 7 day period. I believe if the trooper "sees" something questionable in his/her initial check you may be advised otherwise. But on the 8th day you may release by law.

Would I still be at risk like most FFL's are worried about or is it different in a private transfer? I want to release it after day 7 but I want to do this as safe as possible.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Has anyone yet submitted a freedom of information act request to the MSP requesting the criteria for further review, a list of the mysterious 17 databases, amount of manpower being applied to processing the checks, and volume being processed on a daily basis? I can't see how any of the info would be exempt, particularly the workload since taxpayers are funding it.

Good idea.

Please share the results when you get them. :-)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think the FFL's who are releasing after 7 days must have done business with you previously and you have at least one ND from MSP to give them reasonable assurance that some of the previosly outlined scenarios won't occur. That seems prudent. You can be sued even if you follow the law and if you were to lose your business insurance then what?

I too applaud dealers that do release but I won't critcize those that have chosen not to. We are in uncharted waters here IMO.

TheKidd

Feb 21, 2013

I have sold 2 with MSP private transfers and they told me both times to release on the 8th day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom