• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pay2Play

Jul 3, 2008
    Gambrills
    I’m finally getting around to building an upper for one of the 2 lowers I purchased before Oct. 2013. I’m between 2 different barrels and was wondering if you guys would choose one over the other for any particular reasons. They are only $20 apart in price.

Bravo Company 16” Enhanced Fluted 300BLK Barrel:
    https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-ENHANCED-FLUTED-300-Blackout-Barrels-p/bcm-brl-16f-300.htm

Daniel Defense 17” S2W 300BLK Barrel:
    https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/16-inch-chf-barrels/16-300-blk-s2w-carbine-chf-barrel.html

Thanks for your help.:thumbsup:

Pay2Play

Jul 3, 2008
    Gambrills
    Why waste a pre 10/13 lower on a 300BLK build ? 300BLK doesn't need it in any configuration.

That’s a good point that I didn’t think about. When I bought them I built one lower with a rifle stock and the other with a pistol buffer tube that I’m now going to take a part and build into a rifle since pistols are still legal. I already own a Daniel Defense V1 so I figured I’d build a 300BLK to have a different caliber. If I don’t do that I’m not sure what to build. Maybe a 18” barrel long range 5.56 setup. So many decisions.

Pay2Play

Jul 3, 2008
    Gambrills
    Neither one. Dont buy a .300 barrel with carbine gas if you plan to run subs.

I didn’t have any immediate plans to add a suppressor, but I wouldn’t rule it out in the future. If I went with pistol length I’d either have to do an AR pistol or SBR. Is there any reason to not go with the carbine gas and regular ammo?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I didn’t have any immediate plans to add a suppressor, but I wouldn’t rule it out in the future. If I went with pistol length I’d either have to do an AR pistol or SBR. Is there any reason to not go with the carbine gas and regular ammo?

Not pistol length barrel. Pistol length gas.

Carbine Gas wont usually run reliably with subsonic .300 ammo. It can be donw but it takes a good AR builder/tuner.

16" Barrel with pistol gas will be more forgiving and should not require tuning.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Carbine Gas wont usually run reliably with subsonic .300 ammo. It can be donw but it takes a good AR builder/tuner.

16" Barrel with pistol gas will be more forgiving and should not require tuning.

Absolutely!!

All of my previous 300BLK's ran a pistol length gas system (16" and 12.5" barrels), and it was the right choice then, and is still the right choice.

Pay2Play

Jul 3, 2008
    Gambrills

Aha, gotcha. Excuse my ignorance. I had only seen 16” barrels with carbine and above length gas systems and assumed you had to go under 16” to get a pistol system. Thanks for the info.

Pay2Play

Jul 3, 2008
    Gambrills

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    One more question for you guys. Does it matter if I go with 1-7 vs 1-8 twist?

Thanks again for all the help.

ive got both 1:7 8 inch and 1:8 9 inch barreled uppers and i dont see any difference at 100 yards with 123 grain FMJ's. im pretty sure youre only going to want to use a 1/7 if your are planning on using anything over 200 grain

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Slight thread jack, but as someone who got a barrel with a carbine length system, what are my options for how to optimize said barrel for both sub and super sonic ammo?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Slight thread jack, but as someone who got a barrel with a carbine length system, what are my options for how to optimize said barrel for both sub and super sonic ammo?

Buy a new barrel or dump lots of money into it.

Adjustable SLR Gas Block
    SpringCo Reduced Power Action Spring
    Carbine Buffer
    Open Gas Port to .120
    Allign Gas Block with Bore Scope
    Polish Carrier Belly and lower Bolt Lug Bearing Surfaces
    Gauge Gas Key Bore to ensure it is not oversized

FYI if you cheap out and opt to not get adjustable gas, you will beat the living hell out of the gun when supersonic ammo is shot in that configuration and the gas isn't restricted.

Pay2Play

Jul 3, 2008
    Gambrills
    ive got both 1:7 8 inch and 1:8 9 inch barreled uppers and i dont see any difference at 100 yards with 123 grain FMJ's. im pretty sure youre only going to want to use a 1/7 if your are planning on using anything over 200 grain

Perfect. I was already leaning toward 1-8.

Another choice to consider. Friend has one and likes it.
    Not sure their sale is still going on but it is $270 with the discount and a free flashider
    https://www.noveske.com/collections/barrels/products/300-aac-blackout-barrel

I didn’t see any discount codes and when I select the 16” length the price jumps to $455! I think I have it narrowed down to these two Wilson Combat barrels:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Grade-Barrel-300-AAC-Blackout-Recon-Tactical-16-1-8-Twist-Stainless-Fluted/productinfo/TR%2D300RC16F/

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Grade-Barrel-300-AAC-Blackout-Recon-Tactical-16-1-7-Twist-Carbon-with-Melonite-Finish-Fluted/productinfo/TR%2D300RC16F%2D17%2DM/

Buy a new barrel or dump lots of money into it.

Adjustable SLR Gas Block
    SpringCo Reduced Power Action Spring
    Carbine Buffer
    Open Gas Port to .120
    Allign Gas Block with Bore Scope
    Polish Carrier Belly and lower Bolt Lug Bearing Surfaces
    Gauge Gas Key Bore to ensure it is not oversized

FYI if you cheap out and opt to not get adjustable gas, you will beat the living hell out of the gun when supersonic ammo is shot in that configuration and the gas isn't restricted.

I didn’t realize the need for the adjustable gas block. Thanks for the info.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Perfect. I was already leaning toward 1-8.

I didn’t see any discount codes and when I select the 16” length the price jumps to $455! I think I have it narrowed down to these two Wilson Combat barrels:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Grade-Barrel-300-AAC-Blackout-Recon-Tactical-16-1-8-Twist-Stainless-Fluted/productinfo/TR%2D300RC16F/

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Grade-Barrel-300-AAC-Blackout-Recon-Tactical-16-1-7-Twist-Carbon-with-Melonite-Finish-Fluted/productinfo/TR%2D300RC16F%2D17%2DM/

I didn’t realize the need for the adjustable gas block. Thanks for the info.

The adjustable Gas Block is not required for all Blackout applications. Its setup specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom