• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccarson

I'm old school
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 28, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Somebody needs a bitch slap down there.
    I pay taxes so if the National Guard doesn't have what it needs during a natural disaster then that's not my problem. They certainly don't need my guns. Never going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or if the situation is so dire that they need more firepower, that is the situation where I am least likely to want to share. How about you figure out what you need now and head to Walmart or ask nicely and perhaps I'd share.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    USVI Governor (paraphrased): Pay no attention to what I wrote... the words don't mean what you common folk think they mean.
    What a tool.

inconceivable.jpg

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Not to rain on anyone's parade, but has there actually been any reports of guns or ammo being confiscated or is all this just because of an order that was signed that would allow them to seize what they need in order to perform their jobs?

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Not to rain on anyone's parade, but has there actually been any reports of guns or ammo being confiscated or is all this just because of an order that was signed that would allow them to seize what they need in order to perform their jobs?

Not rain on any parade? Those subject to that order could have theirs rained on, on top of the hurricane.

1. By the time the guns and ammo are confiscated, it'll be too late; a done deal. And when would they get them back? A month? A year from now? When the national guard stands down?

2. "...just" because of an order? What if Gov. Hogan signed "just" an order tomorrow allowing the state to confiscate your guns? Wouldn't you be alarmed by the order, or would you wait until confiscation actually happened to you?

3. Most people, including the NRA and millions of others, read the clear and plain language of the order, which doesn't say "need in order to perform their jobs," and are concerned. It is sweeping, broad language to include such things as "maintain order and security," and "guarantee safety of life and property." Who decides what that means? It could be used to justify disarming the entire populace. In a typical Marylander anti's world, total confiscation of your firearms today is necessary to maintain order and security and guarantee safety of life and property, even without a hurricane. The V.I. Governor appeared to flatly contradict the written order when he talked with Tucker Carlson. The order, not the conversation, controls.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I understood it to be an 'authorization, in the unlikely case...'

There's no "unlikely case" requirement in the order, but two things do make it unlikely, now:

1. Conservative media such as The Daily Caller and Tucker Carlson caught wind and exposed it; and
    2. The NRA threatened to sue and is letting it be known that it's watching closely.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    As you could have guessed, the government of the USVI is completely paralyzed and/or inept. I guess Governor Kenneth Mapp is probably too busy pulling edicts out of his ass.

There are reports that police are literally hoarding Red Cross food donations for themselves, and sitting around doing nothing instead of patrolling, while HOMELESS PEOPLE are stepping up to help by directing traffic.

Robbers and thieves are preying on people left and right, in the absence of police patrols.

(First image is a text message posted by a redditor last night; second post was posted by the moderator of the "News of St. John" Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/NewsofStJohn/posts/764807390370516)

edit: If there's any GOOD news here, it's that the FB page contains a lot of posts from people with firsthand knowledge who say that a lot of the relief organizations are aware of the situation, and are promising to help get things back under control.

Attachments

• fci402ew36lz.jpg
      fci402ew36lz.jpg
      49.8 KB · Views: 197
    • help.jpg
      help.jpg
      113.5 KB · Views: 199

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I bought a real nice 03a3 and twenty rounds of core lockts from an Alabama hwy patrolman in Mobile Bay when I worked Katrina. I can remember the am radio broadcasts from the sportsmans clubs while order was being reestablished. I shot it at Butner a few years ago.

Hmm, I hope that transaction went through an FFL.

AL resident to non-AL resident cannot be face to face.

Might want to edit your post.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Governor of USVI is trying to explain the so-called confiscation order, and is pretty clear that the NG might need something to keep order that the government forces might not have, they can appropriate from alternate sources with compensation, and is not a disarmament of the people (which he agrees he has no authority to do).

Tucker is being uncharacteristically obtuse. He finally seemed to understand the Governor's position.

Then, why did the entire rest of the world read and understand it the way Tucker did? The Governor sounds like he's spinning as fast as he can.

Because people did not READ the order.

It tells the NG AG to confiscate items THAT IT NEEDS TO MAINTAIN ORDER. Not just confiscate every firearm.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD

It tells the NG AG to confiscate items THAT IT NEEDS TO MAINTAIN ORDER. Not just confiscate every firearm.
    and why would that not include all civilian firearms? can't have those pesky civilians running around in a disorderly way with firearms.

besides, won't anything that lends itself to not contributing to order be confiscated so that order may be maintained?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

1. It's broader than that.

2. What you think it needs to maintain order isn't what the guy next to you is needed to maintain order.

3. Taking somebody's guns, even if "needed" might provoke some people to become disorderly. If in doubt, take them.

4. You don't have to take all of them to cause a problem. Just those that you think threaten you. Like they just did in Venezuela. Not comparing USVI to Venezuela, but...

Re-read the Order.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    There's a guy in St. Thomas being interviewed on FBN over the phone right now. Government is doing little to nothing to clean up, or to restore or maintain order. Stories of looting and people being held up with machetes and at gunpoint in their homes. He has people in his house standing guard in shifts with machetes for self defense.

Imagine if you have a gun for self defense, the government isn't doing anything to restore services, but they knock on your door to get your only self defense gun "for national guard use to restore or maintain order." Would their taking your only gun, leaving you defenseless, restore order, or provoke disorder?

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Even the NRA is reporting this as confiscation without mentioning what the governor said, which is it does NOT authorize confiscation; it only authorizes the NG to purchase what they need out side procurement channels from businesses. It has nothing to do with the firearms and ammunition of private individuals. You may not believe that, but you should at least acknowledge it.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Even the NRA is reporting this as confiscation without mentioning what the governor said, which is it does NOT authorize confiscation; it only authorizes the NG to purchase what they need out side procurement channels from businesses. It has nothing to do with the firearms and ammunition of private individuals. You may not believe that, but you should at least acknowledge it.

WRONG. Read the order. It specifically says "seize" NOT purchase. It is an illegal order.
    65e5f0fe5addeefa39a909824773a7bd.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

What the governor said in an interview to deny what he wrote is irrelevant and does not have the force of law. His written Order is what matters, to the extent that it is within his legal authority. His guard going door to door will have a copy of the Order, not a tape of his interview with Tucker Carlson. I haven't seen anything recent from the NRA since it said it was monitoring with a watchful eye, but apparently the NRA knows to ignore what a politician said, as opposed to what he put in writing.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    What the governor said in an interview to deny what he wrote is irrelevant and does not have the force of law. His written Order is what matters, to the extent that it is within his legal authority. His guard going door to door will have a copy of the Order, not a tape of his interview with Tucker Carlson. I haven't seen anything recent from the NRA since it said it was monitoring with a watchful eye, but apparently the NRA knows to ignore what a politician said, as opposed to what he put in writing.
    You are right. My information is based on the Carlson interview, in which the governor was very specific about the order not standing alone, but linking to several US and VI laws/regulations.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    You are right. My information is based on the Carlson interview, in which the governor was very specific about the order not standing alone, but linking to several US and VI laws/regulations.

I haven't read those referenced laws/regulations, and don't need to in order to get the gist of what's going on. Besides, I don't live in the USVGI. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom