• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadDogNate

Sep 14, 2020
    Maryland
    Hello, I was wondering if there was anyone here who could point me in the right direction of getting a .308 bolt action rifle for hunting. If possible could I buy from someone selling on here? and if so where do I go to look for guns for sale on this website? Also, I am looking for new areas to hunt for deer, if anyone would be interested in letting me hunt on their land let me know please, a new hunter looking to expand my horizons outside of public land. I am willing to work or pay for the ability to hunt the land. Thank you

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Hello, I was wondering if there was anyone here who could point me in the right direction of getting a .308 bolt action rifle for hunting. If possible could I buy from someone selling on here? and if so where do I go to look for guns for sale on this website? Also, I am looking for new areas to hunt for deer, if anyone would be interested in letting me hunt on their land let me know please, a new hunter looking to expand my horizons outside of public land. I am willing to work or pay for the ability to hunt the land. Thank you
    If you're in Maryland and think you're going to use a .308 to hunt deer, think again - there are very few areas in most of the state that allow that.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    If you're in Maryland and think you're going to use a .308 to hunt deer, think again - there are very few areas in most of the state that allow that.

Thousands of public acres on ES that are under hunted if he wants to make the trek. Dorchester Co and south, all rifle counties.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome !

I just checked the Classifieds , and there aren't any presently . But they are very common at just about any gun store, and gun shows .

As noted , they are usable only in Maryland . Not saying not to get one , for that matter usable in nearby areas of adjacent states , or if you someday travel .

As of right now , for maximum usefulness in Maryland, a Straight Wall cartridge will be usable in all areas , and give extra season to hunt . Lots of threads here discussing various options .

For that matter , I and friends have used fully rifled shotguns in places where rifles were legal , and if hunting in wooded areas , they are rarely a Iimiting factor , as over 150yd opportunities aren't common simply because of visibility and terrain . But won't let you hunt during Primative Weapon season .

Good luck on access for conviently located prime private property . It's an issue for even experienced hunters . But there are relatively lightly pressure public areas in Maryland , and reasonable distance in adjacent states . You might have to drive a cpl hours , and/ or hike away from the imeadate vicinity of roads .

Of course , we're jumping in discussing here in the Introduction sub forum , but you could get wider exposure posting on the relevant subjects in Outdoor Sports , Rifles , the various regional sub forums for different regions of Md .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Areas shaded in green allow use of rifle cartridges like the bottleneck .308. The other counties require the use of shotguns, or new this year, straight wall cartridges.

Attachments

• 43.jpg
      43.jpg
      39.8 KB · Views: 327

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD

We have a couple of bolt action .308's in stock if you want to come by and check them out.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Areas shaded in green allow use of rifle cartridges like the bottleneck .308. The other counties require the use of shotguns, or new this year, straight wall cartridges.
    Interesting - I was under the impression that rifle was a lot more restrictive than that. I guess it's just here in central Maryland where it's restricted. My apologies.

MadDogNate

Sep 14, 2020
    Maryland
    yes, took it when I was 13. Never really had too much time to go hunting though. Ive had one deer harvested since then, so I am lacking experience as far as locations. Ive been using a .223 rifle for hunting .... need something else

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA!

Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members