• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    When are they going to remove the cable across the entrance to Liberty Dam. There has been a cable across the entrance since the shut down with a sign saying not open to the public; only open to the police (I guess for the MSP range that is back the Dam road). You can visit Pretty Boy Dam which is also owned/operated by Balto. City. Liberty Dam is a great place to visit.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That doesn't make any sense.
    You can hike to the dam from Ridge Road or Marriottsville Road. I've done both.

The dam was designed to be seen and admired from downstream. It really is beautiful, a huge sculpture.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp

The dam was designed to be seen and admired from downstream. It really is beautiful, a huge sculpture.

Great pro-tip, I'll borrow that. Once it cools down I'll take the kids, we love that combo.

Great pro-tip, I'll borrow that. Once it cools down I'll take the kids, we love that combo.

The entrance is off Marriotsville Rd, just south of AGC.
    We hiked it from 9:00-10:15 this morning and the spillway below the dam was PACKED. The place was the location of a huge Latino picnic today. The lots must have had license plates from 6-7 states. I don't know if it was a today only thing or every Saturday.
    There was a lady and her 3yo daughter trying to lug enough gear for 2-3 adults. I offered to help and she accepted. Once we arrived, I switched to Spanish (instant crowd changer- works every time) and asked whether it was just her and her family or if they were meeting friends- she said just her, her husband and daughter. It turns out her husband had to go back to the car and instead of waiting she decided to try to keep on trekking.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    The entrance is off Marriotsville Rd, just south of AGC.

Ahhh, that explains the humoungous crowd of parked cars and pedestrians on Marriottsville Road last Sunday afternoon, with police presence to ensure no traffic dust ups. :thumbsup:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Ahhh, that explains the humoungous crowd of parked cars and pedestrians on Marriottsville Road last Sunday afternoon, with police presence to ensure no traffic dust ups. :thumbsup:

That makes sense. The 200 yard range parking lot was packed today. Glad i didnt want to park there to shoot :sad20:

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    There are announcements on radio and television cautioning people not to swim at any of the city reservoirs due to debris, drop offs, etc. Nothing about them being off limits though.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Below the dam is park property so, it isn't a part of the city reservoir property. The reservoir is open to certain limited activities. You will have to check their web site for details. I saw all the people parking by the range and walking up the lower trails, there were a lot of them! Be advised that there was a water rescue last weekend for possible drowning below the dam. Helicopter was involved. Have not heard if the victim survived. There is a reason why they do not want people swimming there!

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    They closed all 3 city reservoirs to all activities months ago. I have not seen or heard of that order being resinded

We have been up to Pretty Boy Dam several times recently and nothing stops you from walking down the long flight of steps to the Dam spillway.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Anyplace with access to the Patapsco River is mobbed---Old Court Rd near the Woodstock Inn---Washington Blvd by the overpasses etc River full of swimmers or non swimmers as the ensuing drownings will prove. Somebody drowned at Liberty last week

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    We have been up to Pretty Boy Dam several times recently and nothing stops you from walking down the long flight of steps to the Dam spillway.

Below the dam is park property so, it isn't a part of the city reservoir property. The reservoir is open to certain limited activities. You will have to check their web site for details. I saw all the people parking by the range and walking up the lower trails, there were a lot of them! Be advised that there was a water rescue last weekend for possible drowning below the dam. Helicopter was involved. Have not heard if the victim survived. There is a reason why they do not want people swimming there!

I'm a bit late to the party on this thread but...

Liberty has a huge problem with suicides. If you enter Liberty Dam road off of Wards Chapel you see signs for help. It's prevalent. So the rescue could well have been related or it could have been a swimming drowning. The base of Bloede Dam was good for one or two per year despite the postings. I'm sure Liberty is similar without taking suicides into the equation.

Pretty Boy doesn't seem to have the same issue. My guess is proximity and convenience.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

Liberty has a huge problem with suicides. If you enter Liberty Dam road off of Wards Chapel you see signs for help. It's prevalent. So the rescue could well have been related or it could have been a swimming drowning. The base of Bloede Dam was good for one or two per year despite the postings. I'm sure Liberty is similar without taking suicides into the equation.

Pretty Boy doesn't seem to have the same issue. My guess is proximity and convenience.

Most of the suicides around here involve people jumping off the long bridge that crosses between Carroll and Baltimore county. Not many are reportedly jumping off the dam to my knowledge.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster

After thinking about it -- if a person were committed to suicide by jumping off of a dam I don't think the 30 minute drive from Liberty to Prettyboy would be that much of a deterrent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom