• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    That doesn’t count face to face sales. I’d put the number much higher

But those aren't new guns, just existing ones being recycled.

The best numbers for new guns are going to come from manufacturer data.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    The number of privately held firearms is great (and I too think the 800M number is probably getting close to reality).... but I'm more excited about an increase in the number of households owning guns. Honestly, 100 people on MDS tripling their personal holdings doesn't do anything for the growth of "the gun culture" (I'll just call it Liberty). But 100 new households making the leap into gun ownership... learning gun safety... taking training... and yes, going through the pain and red tape of the legal requirements for ownership; now that helps our cause!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Honestly I think the 800 million mark is very close or has already been broken. There are some people that will buy 2+ firearms on a 4473, so lets average it out as 3 per 4473. At 3 per 4473, there are 1,050,000 firearms in America. At 2 per 4473, it is still 700,000 firearms in America.

A friend asked me how many guns I owned. I looked at him and said he didn't want to hear the answer to that question. The actual number that I own is nobody's business by mine and Mrs. DA's.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    When my 1/2 brother came out to visit he actually took pictures of my ammo shelf. He was astonished. I told him I’m a lightweight.

You can fit it all in a shelf? Geez, and we look up to you for advice...

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    IMHO y’all are missing the mark. Not that it makes a big difference but...my money is on the big B.

I believe we have a billion firearms in this country. At least that.

More importantly, how many different owners are there? Then I’d ask how many of those owners are decidedly conservative? Last question is what percentage of owners, conservative AND otherwise, have any proficiency with a weapon?

Unknowable. Unobtanium. I get it.

Conjecture is the lube that keeps MDS going. Idle thoughts are the fuel.

Just some random thoughts.

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    These always make me laugh.

Attachments

• IMG_20181210_174933.jpg
      IMG_20181210_174933.jpg
      83 KB · Views: 812
    • IMG_20190512_070750.jpg
      IMG_20190512_070750.jpg
      75.8 KB · Views: 792

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    The joke is on first time buyers, and the one box of ammo they buy with their new gun,, IF they can find ammo.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    My plan had been to save up some cash while waiting for the rush to die down, then try to help support my LGS in the slow times after the frenzy subsided. However...my birthday was yesterday. I don't have room for another long gun and nobody else can buy a handgun for me :tap: so I kinda had to go in myself for my birthday gun:innocent0

Wow! He had ZERO AR's, and just as many defensive shotguns in stock. He said he just can't get them. The store wasn't completely empty (there was a variety of handguns, long shotguns, a few .22's and some lever actions), but it was definitely as thinly stocked as I'd ever seen it.

While I was in the shop, a couple of pickups happened and at least two separate people came in looking for something defensive. Before leaving empty handed, of course they asked, "What do I have to do to get a handgun...how long will that take?" :rolleye12

He's normally a very cheerful and enthusiastic person, but I could tell it was wearing on him. :sad20: He did say that no one had yet been desperate enough to buy a $1300+ shotgun and $20 hacksaw...yet:innocent0

what shop was this ? i wonder if they all look like this still ?

Eastwind

Nice!
    May 3, 2020
    I'm kicking myself in the ass for NOT buying the 2 or 3 odd rifles I was eyeballing before shit hit the fan. They all tripled in price.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’ve got an unfired Colt Modular Carbine in 6.5 CM I’ll let go for $3000.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Walmart has ZERO guns on the shelf. I thought I heard that they have purposely pulled guns from the shelves. Is that correct? I was able to get 12 ga 3" 00 buckshot from CTD for a decent price.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I wonder how Walmart is on ammunition...I was thinking about stopping by for some 6.5x55. I drove past the one on Guilford Drive in Frederick today but didn't stop. It's not exactly a caliber that flies off the shelves but I don't know if they even carry it.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I bought 60 rnds of 308win at Wallymart last weekend and another customer that walked up behind me went, "awwww man". I let him buy the other last 60. Otherwise I was grabbing all of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom