• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • James6022

Feb 26, 2020
    Baltimore Co
    getting frustrated with misaligned tap from factory. Looking for information or local help with new rings and scope mount. Any helpful tips. I was using Millett windage rings. Is their an easier way or better rings to use. Mdl70 Winchester 270wsm.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    if its a misaligned tap from factory, send it back to the factory. I would not try to compensate for what should be correct in the first place.

Absolutely this, if the gun is new

But if you bought a 10 year old gun second hand that probably isn't an option.

Making the new holes probably isn't the hard part. Getting them properly aligned is If you are out of alignment even a little bit the scope is going to be pointed way wide at distance

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    ...besides, Millett windage rings are crap.

Given that its a Winchester Model 70, I wondered if its really misaligned taps from the factory or bad rings. I dont have any experience with Millet, but if they are crap, bad scope rings seems more likely to me than misaligned taps from the factory on a Winchester model 70.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Given that its a Winchester Model 70, I wondered if its really misaligned taps from the factory or bad rings. I dont have any experience with Millet, but if they are crap, bad scope rings seems more likely to me than misaligned taps from the factory on a Winchester model 70.

Definitely agree. :thumbsup:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I've never heard of a Winchester having misaligned/mis-drilled scope mounting holes. Ever.

My youngest son was given a Remington (Russian made) 798 in 7mm Magnum, that had been bought in Alaska, many years ago.
    The rifle wasn't drilled/tapped when new, and the original owner had a "gunsmith" in AK drill and tap the front and rear rings.

The holes are the correct spacing, but, they're not aligned correctly on the front ring.
    The rear ring is drilled/tapped correctly, from what I can seel

The Weaver mount is 'twisted' on the front ring.

My plan is to use a "blank" picatinny rail for that receiver, and drill the mounting holes on the rail to match the holes drilled/tapped in the receiver.

Using longer mounting screws, with the heads ground off, then a 'point' ground onto the screws, installed with 'points up' in the receiver, will be used to 'mark' the underside of the rail, for drilling.

Will it work????? In theory, yes. In practical terms......... maybe.

I sure would like to see the mounting holes on that Winchester!!!!!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I've never heard of a Winchester having misaligned/mis-drilled scope mounting holes. Ever.

My youngest son was given a Remington (Russian made) 798 in 7mm Magnum, that had been bought in Alaska, many years ago.
    The rifle wasn't drilled/tapped when new, and the original owner had a "gunsmith" in AK drill and tap the front and rear rings.

The holes are the correct spacing, but, they're not aligned correctly on the front ring.

My plan is to use a "blank" picatinny rail for that receiver, and drill the mounting holes on the rail to match the holes drilled/tapped in the receiver.

Using longer mounting screws, with the heads ground off, then a 'point' ground onto the screws, installed with 'points up' in the receiver, will be used to 'mark' the underside of the rail, for drilling.

It would but if your "screw" point is not aligned with the bore center-line it could still be off a small amount. Hard to do with such a tiny screw but that would make the alignment to an even lessor error if the front of the base is straight-downside old hole would need closed up for even better accuracy/line up when through.

If your picatinny rail is the gunsmith type maybe you can just align the base and then re-drill to a different pattern. Problem is with a 98 because of the rear bridge your new holes could wind up interfering with the old one on the front ring or be right into the top bolt lug or to close and youll have a dead hole.

I would just grind the screw flush, align then center-mark and re-drill. If that's done well you can stop and proceed as necessary. If you decide to lightly weld (electric, belt and suspenders) on top of the ground off screw and don't over do it, ( all you want to do is eliminate vibration/loosening and refinish to original contour not land the space shuttle) when you re-drill the hole it will have a better chance to be started straight if you do not have a center bit for the 6 or 8 screw you want to install.

The screw because it has been ground will have become softer though creating the the tendency for drill bit walk. How ever! if yo install the screw with it red hot or nearly as possible the threads will shrink when its well tightened possibly avoiding the need for welding entirely. You just have to dress down afterwards to avoid cosmetic damage.

Some how I can see this as being the rear hole of the front base because of the hardening of the bolt lugs. The initial bit used was not designed to break through the hardening, crumbled out then walked or had just been used a few times. Could have been done with what was available and in a difficult environment.
    Sometimes a weaver two piece extended base will have a different pattern on the front or muzzle side hole. Downside is they stick out extra or can create ring spacing interference depending on scope selection/make.

Im sure others will more experiance will chime in or add useful tips for remediating the problem description. Working on guns is fun so theirs a lot of information out there to be had. Good luck!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    It would but if your "screw" point is not aligned with the bore center-line it could still be off a small amount. Hard to do with such a tiny screw but that would make the alignment to an even lessor error if the front of the base is straight-downside old hole would need closed up for even better accuracy/line up when through.

If your picatinny rail is the gunsmith type maybe you can just align the base and then re-drill to a different pattern. Problem is with a 98 because of the rear bridge your new holes could wind up interfering with the old one on the front ring or be right into the top bolt lug or to close and youll have a dead hole.

I would just grind the screw flush, align then center-mark and re-drill. If that's done well you can stop and proceed as necessary. If you decide to lightly weld (electric, belt and suspenders) on top of the ground off screw and don't over do it, ( all you want to do is eliminate vibration/loosening and refinish to original contour not land the space shuttle) when you re-drill the hole it will have a better chance to be started straight if you do not have a center bit for the 6 or 8 screw you want to install.

The screw because it has been ground will have become softer though creating the the tendency for drill bit walk. How ever! if yo install the screw with it red hot or nearly as possible the threads will shrink when its well tightened possibly avoiding the need for welding entirely. You just have to dress down afterwards to avoid cosmetic damage.

Some how I can see this as being the rear hole of the front base because of the hardening of the bolt lugs. The initial bit used was not designed to break through the hardening, crumbled out then walked or had just been used a few times. Could have been done with what was available and in a difficult environment.
    Sometimes a weaver two piece extended base will have a different pattern on the front or muzzle side hole. Downside is they stick out extra or can create ring spacing interference depending on scope selection/make.

Im sure others will more experiance will chime in or add useful tips for remediating the problem description. Working on guns is fun so theirs a lot of information out there to be had. Good luck!

Thanks for the GREAT response.

I truly appreciate it! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

James6022

Feb 26, 2020
    Baltimore Co

definitely done at factory. Happens a lot more than you'd think. Verified by gunsmith. He was the one who used the windage rings. Was hoping someone would know a real gunsmith who is a machinist.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    getting frustrated with misaligned tap from factory. Looking for information or local help with new rings and scope mount. Any helpful tips. I was using Millett windage rings. Is their an easier way or better rings to use. Mdl70 Winchester 270wsm.

That is why I do not use scopes, more of a PITA. Iron sites do not fog get wet by rain hindering visibility, and fog like scopes. I have never had an issue with my Iron sites. Iron sites are very forgiving. Of course my Opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom