Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Air Guns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 15th, 2020, 06:08 PM #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
Super Colibri, not regular Colibri is ok for rifles. Regular Colibri sometimes gets stuck in the rifling. I have shot a few bricks since they brought it out. I would not use it for killing things because it is inconsistent. It wouldn't do to have a slow bullet hit a animal and just wound it. Rifled pellet guns are normally very accurate and consistent unless you let the pressure go too low or don't pump it the same number of pumps.
^^This^^. I would not use for hunting > mouse size targets, but for target practice w/o annoying the neighbors these are great. Out of handguns they sound like a cap pistol. Out of a rifle, hammer fall makes more noise.

CCI "Quiet" and or 22 Shorts out of a rifle are very quiet w/o needing a suppressor and have more enough thump for most rats. YMMV
hobiecat590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2020, 10:52 PM #32

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_M View Post
That's a good price for a decent gun... curse you for posting

Air Force Veteran--20yrs 14 days
wilcam47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2020, 11:55 PM #33

OK, OP HERE! I have a Gamo Whisper set up upstairs with a shooting rest, etc.
It just seems every evening when I go out the bottom door to start the grill, I see a rat
and IT SURE WOULD BE NICE to pull a pistol out of a holster and shoot at
those bastards - they are pretty brazen - they look at me like I'm interrupting
their stealing of my tomatoes. So a pistol was my thinking.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 05:29 AM #34
Task Force Sunny, 2009

Task Force Sunny, 2009

22 cal Shot Shell (rat shot), in any 22 semi-auto? https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/amm...rifle-12-shot/

Voter
NRA Member
MSI Member
Designated Collector
Wannabe carrier
mranaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2020, 07:31 PM #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
OK, OP HERE! I have a Gamo Whisper set up upstairs with a shooting rest, etc.
It just seems every evening when I go out the bottom door to start the grill, I see a rat
and IT SURE WOULD BE NICE to pull a pistol out of a holster and shoot at
those bastards - they are pretty brazen - they look at me like I'm interrupting
their stealing of my tomatoes. So a pistol was my thinking.
OK. I have shot mice with my Beeman P1 in 4.5mm/.177 . One shot for a humane kill at 15-20 ft. It is an awesome air pistol. It was made in West Germany (for history buffs) and costs more than several of my firearm pistols. The balance is fantastic. If you can find one, this is what you want.
Attached Images

cantstop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2020, 10:01 PM #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstop View Post
OK. I have shot mice with my Beeman P1 in 4.5mm/.177 . One shot for a humane kill at 15-20 ft. It is an awesome air pistol. It was made in West Germany (for history buffs) and costs more than several of my firearm pistols. The balance is fantastic. If you can find one, this is what you want.
****Wow. That is really old school Beeman!!! I had one of those along with an original Beeman R1 Supermag. The one's I had were from the mid to late 1980's I think. I sold the Beemans some time ago, and only have some spring piston break barrel West German rifles now in .22 (Anschutz I think..) Those airguns are *much* more accurate than any of my firearms out to perhaps 50 meters. I use typical Beeman peep sights, and have one with a cool scope (dedicated spring piston resistant scope..) as well. Beautiful workmanship, and more expensive than even some of my nicer AR's from BCM, or LaRue which were not cheap, even before adding in optics, etc.. Amazing how expensive a well optioned competition airgun can get.

I haven't seem that style pellet case in decades. The newer graphics look different, though I think they still make the tins like that.

Yes, that P1 is worth some money now for sure. It was expensive for its day as I recall.

That P1 is a cool piece. Never sell it.
MaxVO2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2020, 08:35 AM #37

Try the Hatsan Sortie. Big pistol but comes in .177, .22 & 25. PCP, semi auto...if you can find it
Air Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2020, 09:15 AM #38
Hairy Flaccid Member

Location: Holding the line South of Gettysburg in 2A-friendly Carroll County, USA.
Hairy Flaccid Member

Location: Holding the line South of Gettysburg in 2A-friendly Carroll County, USA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
You can get .177 to make the same FPE as a .22 but it takes more velocity.

I always recommend .22 air rifles if you are going to hunt and want to humanely kill the game. Here is a good article on the .177 vs .22.

http://kirschy.tripod.com/177vs22.html
That was indeed an interesting read. I have a Gamo 1250fps .177 that I have used for both indoor and outdoor pest eradication with great success. I had been using a modern blowgun but even though I got incredibly close numerous times, I never actually hit my quarry and grew tired of then trying to retrieve the darts that were deeply embedded in wooden door frames or similar w/o bending or otherwise damaging them. My only indoor miss with the Gamo resulted in mistakenly hitting an adjacent steel can of wd-40 and blowing right through it, resulting in two ginormous jet fountains of chemical mess in my laundry room to clean up before my wife discovered the evidence. That same Gamo also yielded my greatest feat of marksmanship to date- hitting a hanging piece of fishing line offhand from 50' away and dropping the suspended woodcraft project into the dirt and grass below...kind of like they would do in the old movies with either a gun or an arrow to cut down & free someone being hanged from their noose. That unbelievable shot resulted in a whooping celebration that would have been truly internet-worthy.

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

-Thucydides in The History of the Peloponnesian War
llkoolkeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Air Guns