• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I am in a quandary about what to do for a holster. I am a native left handed shooter (left eye dominant) but can shoot well with either hand. I usually carry my sig P365XL or my P365 on my left side and recently have been favoring OWB.
    On Monday I had spine surgery, the technique used was CT-scan navigated (OLIF) which resulted in 2 small incisions on my left side one at my belt line on my pelvis and the other is a little forward and above that, in addition to 4 small incisions around my lower back. I have had little to no pain except at the incision sites. I also decided that while I was off work, to get my left carpal tunnel released. So now, it hurts to carry on my left side and my left hand draw is really limited.

I have a cheep shoulder holster that I can switch between left and right handed, but the straps loosen up with use so it isn’t usable. All of my other holsters are left handed and not easily convertible to right handed.

Now, I am trying to decide should I spend the money on a quality right handed holster (most of the ambi holsters are too bulky or just not functional) or just pocket carry a smaller gun (S&W snub nose revolver). What do you guys think?

I usually wear dress pants or scrubs.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Dress for the gun you carry...not carry the gun for how you dress. That being said it's not an absolute but a guideline. Don't cheap out...buy a quality holster and as importantly...a quality belt.

dfitzs1

Mar 24, 2020
    I think the bigger question is what scrub pants do you have that either allow a belt or dont fall down when you're carrying? Asking for a friend.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Something outside the box.

Your P365 or J-Frame snubbie in an ankle holster. There have been a lot of advancements in ankle holster materials and design.

They worked for Jim Cirillo and they should work very well with your scrub and dress pants. Unfortunately, you skinny jeans are probably a no go.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    I would spend the money on a right handed holster. You are already use to carrying on the belt and say you can shoot well right handed. I think that will give you the less deviation from what you are accustomed. I wouldn’t pocket carry six rounds when I could belt carry 10 plus.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I think the bigger question is what scrub pants do you have that either allow a belt or dont fall down when you're carrying? Asking for a friend.

Jaanuu and Infinity make scrubs that have belt loops.
    I occasionally use a Crossbread belly band. That won’t work for the next few weeks because of where the incisions are.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I would spend the money on a right handed holster. You are already use to carrying on the belt and say you can shoot well right handed. I think that will give you the less deviation from what you are accustomed. I wouldn’t pocket carry six rounds when I could belt carry 10 plus.

Ankle holsters don’t work for me. I was a power lifter in college so they slide down and rest on my shoes.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    If this is just so you can get thru your recovery period why not pocket carry a 9mm or a .380 . Then once you are as good as new you can experiment with other ways to carry . Just a thought

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Your calves are too big for a ankle holster?

Then how about........

https://www.thunderwearholsters.com/aboutus.asp

1821.jpg

I can't use them because I have a problem similar to your big calves , you might say :lol2:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Dress for the gun you carry...not carry the gun for how you dress. That being said it's not an absolute but a guideline. Don't cheap out...buy a quality holster and as importantly...a quality belt.

This is almost as if you didn't read his dilemma.

This isn't his first week carrying, and he buys quality stuff.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Get a 5.11 holster t shirt. They come in white or black. And I think grey too. They are somewhat a compression shirt, but they conceal well. There is a "holster" under each arm, so you can carry either side. I used these when I knew I was going to be cramped up on long flights and it took the weight of my hips. Hell, the 229 in one holster and I fit a pair of cuffs and 2 spare mags in the other.
    Again, they are kind of tight and are definitely not a speed carry. But comfort and deep concealment rule the day with this.
    I think this is your answer.

Attachments

• 511.jpg
      511.jpg
      26.6 KB · Views: 120

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Get a 5.11 holster t shirt. They come in white or black. And I think grey too. They are somewhat a compression shirt, but they conceal well. There is a "holster" under each arm, so you can carry either side. I used these when I knew I was going to be cramped up on long flights and it took the weight of my hips. Hell, the 229 in one holster and I fit a pair of cuffs and 2 spare mags in the other.
    Again, they are kind of tight and are definitely not a speed carry. But comfort and deep concealment rule the day with this.
    I think this is your answer.

I will look into these. Apparently 511 changed the design and the new ones have pockets which are too big. I can still get the old design. How did you protect the trigger when using a striker fired handgun? Did you use a trigger guard holster?

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Pocket carry if it will fit, seriously. It's a temp situation. I would not overthink it.
    I have a couple little pocket guns for that exact reason.
    I went through almost same quandary when I had my left thumb joint fixed. I went searching for a solution for a very temporary problem. I could haver gotten a little revolver but ending with a Staccato. :D
    Ruger LCR with a paddle holster is invisible in your pants pocket.
    Long story short, I could not rack the slide for several weeks and then I could.

Mend quickly my friend.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I will look into these. Apparently 511 changed the design and the new ones have pockets which are too big. I can still get the old design. How did you protect the trigger when using a striker fired handgun? Did you use a trigger guard holster?

The P229 is not striker. You could always get a cheap uncle mikes neoprene holster to cover the trigger. I would take the cheap plastic clip off and use it as a "cover".

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I found an old Blade Tech Eclipse holster that is ambidextrous for a gun I no longer have. I heated it up and remolded it to fit a p365. It seams to work, but I just can’t get the retention I want.

I was looking at the concealment t-shirts for a long time before, but wasn’t sure. I naturally sweat a lot and was concerned with corrosion. Will probably have to use gun wax and clean and lube the firearm more often.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I found an old Blade Tech Eclipse holster that is ambidextrous for a gun I no longer have. I heated it up and remolded it to fit a p365. It seams to work, but I just can’t get the retention I want.

I was looking at the concealment t-shirts for a long time before, but wasn’t sure. I naturally sweat a lot and was concerned with corrosion. Will probably have to use gun wax and clean and lube the firearm more often.

I think a neoprene "sleeve" would be fine. The holster part if pretty well padded. The issue is that the shirt itself really offers no absorption. Since it is a thin polyester or spandex or whatever it is.

Another thing I rigged was a belly band, with a shoulder strap. The band didn't go around my belly, but I had it higher up under my man boobs/xiphoid process height. Then I made a thin nylon strap attached to the gun side for over the shoulder support.

I have fashioned all kinds of stuff back in the day previous to all the cool stuff available now. A Delta Force co worker was a genius at these things. He showed me all kind of stuff to do.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl