Calling S&W Model 29 and Pre-S&W Walther PPK experts...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Hello all,

I haven't bought anything new in a while, and I have been itching after both of these guns since I was young. I think it might be time to get one (or both) depending on what I can find.

My question is, which versions of each should I get?

The Model 29 as I understand it had at least 8 variants (29-2, 29-3, etc). I am looking for a blued 6.5 inch model. However, none of my guns are safe queens, and I will be shooting this. I'm not going to be shooting 2k full power .44 mag per year or anything...maybe 200 year and a couple hundred .44 specials a year. So, because it won't be a safe queen, durability is important, and if one of the variants is more durable and longer lasting than others, I would prefer one of those.

As for the PPK, it needs to be pre-S&W and blued. I hate the S&W beavertail, and I don't believe they produce blued ones anyway. I suppose it can be either .32 or .380, but I would prefer .32. Any suggestions on which era, country, or particular version I should be looking for? This will also be shot, maybe 200 rounds per year.

Thanks all!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    For shooting, a post-war is what you want. It's a hair bigger than the PPK being built on the PP frame (called the PPK/S). Even though it will be marked "W. Germany" it's actually built by Manurhin in France for Walther. The Manurhin marked ones are a little less expensive but are the EXACT SAME pistol. Manurhin was never supposed to sell them in the US but there were legal issues involved. It's a little complicated but you can look it up with little effort. Anywho, if you want a true post-war PPK, they can be had but be prepared for sticker shock. That leaves a wartime PPK. Be prepared to spend there too. The difference in length between a PPK and a PPK/S is about .6 inches so, unless you just HAVE to have a PPK, the /S is the way to go. Don't buy US made crap, stick with European, you will be more satisfied. My example was made in 1970 IIRC and is .380:

In this condition, with the box, concealment magazine and extras, figure around 900-1000, slightly less for a .32. No box or extra bits and/or diminishing condition and the price should drop markedly but, unfortunately, no matter what the condition, most idiots think they have gold and want too much for them.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    The Model 29 as I understand it had at least 8 variants (29-2, 29-3, etc). I am looking for a blued 6.5 inch model.

S&W stopped building the 6.5" barrel on the Model 29 around 1979-1980. That means you'll want a Model 29-2 or older. Good luck.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    “Walther PPK, 7.65 millimeter, with a delivery like a brick through a plate-glass window. The American CIA swear by them.”

Major Boothroyd Approves

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    PPK in 32acp is probably the best semiauto ever made in that caliber. I have 2, both pre-WWII. Paid less than 800 apiece. I'd trust my life to them. Not so much in 380. Pistol was designed around the 32acp and is accurate and a joy to shoot. 380 is susceptible to limpwristing problems, not something you want to worry about in a defensive situation.

If you go that prewar route be aware that original grips are pricey and fragile. I put aftermarket grips to shoot. If you don't care about originality you can sell the old grips for serious money and reduce the cost of the pistol to yourself.

I would avoid any "Walther" not made in Europe, though I lucked out with my Interarms TPH. Many of them are picky about ammo but mine ate everything I fed it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OR , if you are willing to squint just a little , and accept a 6.0in bbl , get a M29-3E , with the Endurance Package .

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Im a fan of the WWII and earlier guns, they fit so well in the hand and function great. .32 is a great match. I am lucky to have 2. Looking for a post-war gun in "James Bond" configuration to round out the collection.

Downside of the pre-war/wartime guns is the grips the phenolic cracks, seconding Bob's comment. Not easy to come by replacements. I actually fit some postwar grips to my shooter.

I had a S&W PPK/S...……...glad its gone nothing but trouble and .380 just isn't the right cartridge for these guns.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Many years ago, I inherited a Walther PP in 7.65 (.32 acp) with those dreaded Nazi markings on it.

When I got it, it had been stored in it's holster since the war, and the finish is just terrible. About 99.995% of the bluing is gone, and is now has a "brown patina" (I hate that word, "patina").

IF memory serves me, it was built in/around 1943.

Hasn't been shot since it was "liberated".

wingsfan

Feb 11, 2017
    Ceciltucky
    Beware of PPK slide bite. I had a couple and had to sell them because my hands are too big. I would say at least pick one up and handle it before buying.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This ^^^. And your hands do not have to be that large.

I have PPK/S in .22 and .380. The .22 is a joy and a pleasure.

The .380 is a beast. I used it when teaching to show people that they really did not want a .380.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    That's strange. I bought a .380 PP for my honey years ago and it's her favorite pistol to shoot. And I used to have a .380 PPK/S that I shot a bunch and never minded it a bit. I guess what works for some will not work for others.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Combloc is right. For a shooter, a PPK/S is your best bet. Get a German or French-made gun. I personally like the 7.65 guns, .380 can be nasty in recoil. A .22 PPK/S is a delight...but I would not touch one of the new Umarex pot-metal pieces.

The other thing to keep an eye out for are refinished guns. I've got two prewar PPKs...both were refinished guns. Lousy for collectors, but great for shooters.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I love my PPK/s. :D

Attachments

• DSC_0027.jpg
      DSC_0027.jpg
      109 KB · Views: 191

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , I would like to have a .32 PP . Just never came together of reasonably priced examples when I had disposable $ .

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I know I’m comparing apples to oranges, but I have a S&W PPK/S. I agree with everyone’s assessment’s of the initial quality. When I bought mine, I had horrible feed issues, and the beavertail was sharp, and would cut into my hand. I sent it back to WALTHER, and they opened up the throat and feed ramp. It’s 100% now. I also used jewelers files and a polishing wheel to smooth out the sharp edges. It looks professional and is a joy to shoot,... now. Very accurate! My buddies Interarms PPK still feels much better.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I know I’m comparing apples to oranges, but I have a S&W PPK/S. I agree with everyone’s assessment’s of the initial quality. When I bought mine, I had horrible feed issues, and the beavertail was sharp, and would cut into my hand. I sent it back to WALTHER, and they opened up the throat and feed ramp. It’s 100% now. I also used jewelers files and a polishing wheel to smooth out the sharp edges. It looks professional and is a joy to shoot,... now. Very accurate! My buddies Interarms PPK still feels much better.

That's interesting; I thought the newer Walthers were less likely to bite. I think any of the PP* variants are fine. I have not yet met a Walther I did not like, new or old. The only reason I have these is I was in Germany years ago and had the opportunity to buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom