• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Looking in Ikea's catalog, found this https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50304990/ I have a separate bedroom I can do this kind of thing now. I'm making it into a reloading bench, with a press on each side. It's got shelves for storage or to hold component bullets, keeping the weight to the low side. A Dillon or two on the wide side, a Lee Turret Press for when I want to tear my hair out, and a couple of big O presses. I think I can fit it into my car. I'll probably cut a thick piece of plywood to top the desk of to give it more strength.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Looks interesting...

Attachments

• brusali-corner-desk-.jpg
      brusali-corner-desk-.jpg
      9.6 KB · Views: 392

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Jim, I think you might not be satisfied with the long term strength. The IKEA furniture like this is usually made with 15mm thick particle board panels and fastened with helical wedge and pin fasteners. They are made for compact transportation and easy assembly by “NON-Handyman” homeowners. They are not designed to be subjected to repeated lateral forces, like those which would occur during reloading operations. The stresses will cause the pins to wobble slightly and eventually enlarge the holes. Over time the whole desk will wobble and rack.

If you do go forward with this, I would recommend reinforcing the vertical corners with angle brackets or even a 1”x1” aluminum angle, screws and plenty of glue. You could also cleat the top to the wall screwed into a few studs. This would greatly improve the long term rigidity.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

jtkendall

Jul 13, 2018
    Maryland
    I’ve had thicker top IKEA desks bow from as little as 27lbs. Some of that was due to the lack of a sturdy frame in the design, but IKEA desks aren’t meant for heavy items or really anything more than a laptop or small desktop computer. I suggest checking it out in the store and seeing how the display model has held up, does it wobble, does it feel like if you dropped anything of weight on it that it will easily break.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Ikea uses composite materials, like sawdust and glue, to make their products. Definitely not sturdy. Okay for light use, and I have more than a few of their pieces of furniture. But when I move, it'll be thrown away. Wouldn't even consider trying to move it... not strong enough for that.

Anyway, Harbor Freight has a very substantial solid wood workbench with 4 drawers and a bottom shelf for $159 that might work for you: Work bench I have one and it's held up very well to a lot of abuse.

Attachments

• work bench.jpg
      work bench.jpg
      44.9 KB · Views: 337

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Wow. As true as it is understated; I’d wager you'd be looking for a new bench in way less than a year (probably closer to 6months, if that).

Gitchyoo one of these (s-o-l-i-d): https://www.amazon.com/UltraHD-Adju...pID=31afRDN5O9L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

This looks good, but it lacks a lower shelf and it looks like I'd have to drill holes on the lower braces to attach a shelf.

Ikea uses composite materials, like sawdust and glue, to make their products. Definitely not sturdy. Okay for light use, and I have more than a few of their pieces of furniture. But when I move, it'll be thrown away. Wouldn't even consider trying to move it... not strong enough for that.

Anyway, Harbor Freight has a very substantial solid wood workbench with 4 drawers and a bottom shelf for $159 that might work for you: Work bench I have one and it's held up very well to a lot of abuse.

I've looked at this one before, the top was about 1" thick. While it works as a woodworking bench, I'm not sure it would hold up to the torque of the presses.

With the Ikea idea out of the way, and thanks to the link that slsc pointed out, I see this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JMXHU...&pd_rd_r=3fb1f76a-8f30-11e8-8055-c563715e95aa Which costs a whole lot more, but has what I'm looking for. Apartment living sucks, I miss my bench mounted tools and stuff.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    I used a section of counter top from home depot (8' is around 120$ i believe) then glued and screwed a 3/4" piece of plywood to the bottom of that to make my bench top. Affordable, chemical resistant and sturdy!

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Looking in Ikea's catalog, found this https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50304990/ I have a separate bedroom I can do this kind of thing now. I'm making it into a reloading bench, with a press on each side. It's got shelves for storage or to hold component bullets, keeping the weight to the low side. A Dillon or two on the wide side, a Lee Turret Press for when I want to tear my hair out, and a couple of big O presses. I think I can fit it into my car. I'll probably cut a thick piece of plywood to top the desk of to give it more strength.

I used a much smaller but similar construction desk back in the day to run my presses on. I used a 6" x 18" x 3/4" stock piece of pine to reinforce the top of the desk for the press. Ran it like that for years. Never failed. I since have used a regular size work bench now, using a similar size piece of pine but 1" stock.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Jim, I'll spend hours on some repetitive operations where I prefer to be seated. For those operations, I need to be able roll/slide in under the work surface, maintaining good posture, and preventing excessive wear & tear on my lower back. Some of the designs above are made for this and some are better suited for standing. I use both types of benches, but have no space restrictions. Sounds like you might need to choose - in this case I'd recommend considering comfort for long-duration sessions if you think it might apply to you.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Jim, I'll spend hours on some repetitive operations where I prefer to be seated. For those operations, I need to be able roll/slide in under the work surface, maintaining good posture, and preventing excessive wear & tear on my lower back. Some of the designs above are made for this and some are better suited for standing. I use both types of benches, but have no space restrictions. Sounds like you might need to choose - in this case I'd recommend considering comfort for long-duration sessions if you think it might apply to you.

Remember with a press, a lot of the action comes out away from the edge. You do not need to go under as far as you think. I started with an old solid wood desk, that I put an extra layer on top of plywood. I only pushed the chair under, when I was not using it. It was setup in my walkthrough closet in my apartment.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The Harbor Freight bench is a not bad starting point. Glue every joint as you put it together. Then get a piece of 3/4 inch ply cut to the size of the top and glue and screw it to the top.

That would work nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom