WASHING YOUR HANDS IN FREEZING TEMPS IN THE FIELD...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Another one of my years long tips I'd like to present while it's on my mind. Have you ever been out in the field dressing a Deer and have a mess on your hands, but, you have no water to wash your hands ? Here's what I do. I have some old gallon jugs I keep in my truck box and I fill them with salt water made from boiled and dissolved table salt.

This keeps the water from freezing and then you have something to wash your hands off with in the field on a day where other liquids would be frozen solid. Use rock salt, table salt, whatever you wish.

I simply don't like the idea of getting in my truck with bloody hands, so, I always have salt water and towels in the truck at all times. Just make sure you label the jugs "salt water" you don't want to put that in your coffee cup or radiator.

May 13, 2005

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    01071gloves_2327_general.jpg

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    A friend of mine uses a old gain laundry bottle that has the flow control bubble on it for the water. Then a bar of soap with a hole drilled in it and tied to the bottle. He put some RV antifreeze in it and says "just don't drink it and you will be ok". I think I will stick with my baby wipes.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    A friend of mine uses a old gain laundry bottle that has the flow control bubble on it for the water. Then a bar of soap with a hole drilled in it and tied to the bottle. He put some RV antifreeze in it and says "just don't drink it and you will be ok". I think I will stick with my baby wipes.

I was thinking about the RV antifreeze, too. It's propylene glycol. I wouldn't drink it, but it isn't all that bad.

Raylon Rules

I am Groot
    Feb 19, 2013
    C.C.C.M.D.
    There used to be a product from castrol that was for cleaning your hands without water. I don't know if they still make it but it worked pretty well for getting grease off. It just pealed off your hands dirt and all.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Nothing like a little Salt to help clean a wound and sanitize at the same time.
    People made fun of me when I said bring an 89 cent bottle of Peroxide and liberally wash your hands after gutting. (Take it back!)
    I agree, bare hands, don't cut yourself, wash w/ peroxide after.
    I also bring towels and a gallon of water for the
    cleanliness of it all.
    I use rubber boots and my Helly Hansen bibs.
    Rinse myself off after. Did only 2 this year so far.
    But we have a truck or a gator to bring the deer to our gut site (spoiled I am.)

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    People made fun of me when I said bring an 89 cent bottle of Peroxide and liberally wash your hands after gutting. (Take it back!)
    I agree, bare hands, don't cut yourself, wash w/ peroxide after.
    I also bring towels and a gallon of water for the
    cleanliness of it all.
    I use rubber boots and my Helly Hansen bibs.
    Rinse myself off after. Did only 2 this year so far.
    But we have a truck or a gator to bring the deer to our gut site (spoiled I am.)

Are you still on that camping trip ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom