• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pgas32

Mar 10, 2015
    Cecil
    Does anyone here have their Class A drivers license? I need to get mine as a result of recently upgrading to a trailer that is over 10k lbs...just need a non-commercial, non-air brake Class A.

The problem with the licensing system is that I'm required to have someone who already has their Class A drive with me to the MVA to take my test...not sure how this is checked or how strictly it's enforced, but that's the rule. When I asked the nice gal at the counter how exactly I'm supposed to find someone with a Class A, she just chuckled and said that's for me to figure out :rolleyes:

Anyway, if anyone here has one, or knows someone who does, I'd be more than willing to compensate you for your time...I'm envisioning this to look like meeting in parking lot across the street from the MVA, and driving over together

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    No, not in a VFD...but I suppose stopping in and talking to some folks there might be a good way to meet a Class A license holder

MD doesn't require a CDL to drive fire apparatus. The chief of the department has authority to set training requirements and sign off drivers. Now, considering who you usually find in a VFD, there is rarely a shortage of CDL holders, but its not necessary for department purposes.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I would think that any class A CDL holder would be well qualified to go with you.

You are correct that any commercial or non commercial class A driver can take you to the MVA. They will ask to see the drivers license of the person who brought you to the MVA to make sure that person could legally drive that vehicle.Even if you had the non CDL Class A learners permit, you would still need the class A driver.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I couldbe wrong but don't you have to get the learners permit first, take the written test(s) then you can take the practical.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I couldbe wrong but don't you have to get the learners permit first, take the written test(s) then you can take the practical.

If I recall correctly if its your own RV, or Class A or Class C pulling a 10,001 lbs trailer then you can get the non commercial class A CDL by taking the written and practical all at the same time since you have been driving it already and decided to pull that 10,001 trailer. If its under 26,001 and seats 15 passengers including the driver then no commercial or non commercial CDL is needed. If the unit was over 26,001lbs with no trailer then you would need the non commercial cdl class B drivers Lic in order to drive it legally.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Does anyone here have their Class A drivers license? I need to get mine as a result of recently upgrading to a trailer that is over 10k lbs...just need a non-commercial, non-air brake Class A.

The problem with the licensing system is that I'm required to have someone who already has their Class A drive with me to the MVA to take my test...not sure how this is checked or how strictly it's enforced, but that's the rule. When I asked the nice gal at the counter how exactly I'm supposed to find someone with a Class A, she just chuckled and said that's for me to figure out :rolleyes:

Anyway, if anyone here has one, or knows someone who does, I'd be more than willing to compensate you for your time...I'm envisioning this to look like meeting in parking lot across the street from the MVA, and driving over together

That might not work since not every MVA can give you the class A test you need plus they use that parking lot across the street for the part of the practical testing before they take you out on the road for that part of the testing as well. You will have to do a pretrip on your vehicle also plus do you have air breaks on the vehicle?? If so be ready to demonstrate that knowledge when they ask you.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Make sure everything is A-ok on your rig. All the tires have the thread specd in the manual, every belt deflects no more than 3/4in, all the suspension bushings are intact etc. Lots of folks get turned away during the inspection portion of the road test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom