• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    Hey everybody!

I am going w/ my family to Arizona for vacation during the week of Thanksgiving, and I thought I might solicit suggestions for sights, trails, good eats, good beer joints, etc, to visit while out there.

We are flying into Phoenix, but then driving to G. Canyon for 3 days, Sedona for 3 days, back to Phoenix for 1 day, then departing. We are doing a mule ride down into G. Canyon 1/2 of one day, and then in Sedona we are doing one of the Pink Jeep tours (came highly recommended).

Other than that we plan on sightseeing, but more hiking than anything with all the rest of the time. It's my wife, me, my sister, & my parents.

We are all active, the wife, sister, & I more so than my parents, but we all like to hike, so if anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them??

Also, any food joints or placed to stop for a beer are also encouraged. Thanks in advance!

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I was there about 20 years ago. South rim. We didn't go to the north rim. There's not alot once you get to the canyon except for Harvey businesses, and the food is really good! AQs you know, on the mule ride you and your gear need to be UNDER 200 lbs, no exceptions.
    I did the 2 day mule ride down, across the river, camp and back up the next day and I've never been more thrilled scared, alive, and amazed as I was on that trip. Enjoy every second!!!
    If you're doing a 1/2 day trip, you'll be going to the first watering hole, or rest stop and back up, right? It takes a full 8 hrs to get the to river.

Remember to turn their nose towards the canyon when you stop ;)

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I hiked down,camped and out the other side. Absolutely beautiful, except when the mule train came by at inopportune times on the narrow trails.
    Enjoy the trip with family, it's a great experience.

shiloh228

Dec 25, 2012
    Ballmer County
    I was there with my wife a couple of years ago, and we were (of course) blown away!

I wished we could have done the mule ride thing...I have a friend who did that with his dad...said it was the event of his/their lifetime! I think you need to make reservations a year in advance..??

We did SEE the mules, though :D Very cool animals -- and I understand that they undergo more than a year training/qualifications. After seeing the trails they use...very understandable. They say that they have never lost a mule... :innocent0

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    Luckily they have upped the weight limit to 225 or else the rest of the family would be going on a mule ride without me!!

Glad to see so many positive reviews of the mule trip. We are only doing tht 1/2 day trip

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom