• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeepin13

Jan 10, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    My buddy just sent me a pic of a big 8pt that is in his yard every day. He lives in Jarretsville on 1.17 acres. He does have houses on both sides but his property is way more deep than wide. His back yard is all woods with no houses behing him. Would it be legal to shoot this buck with a crossbow as long as it was on his property and I had his permission?

Thanks,
    Chris

MississippiJoe

Jul 21, 2012
    The problem I see is the deer not staying on his property after it was shot and then having to retrieve it.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    neighbor permission within 150 yards but some areas for archery are nocked down to 50. you will have to check the regs. also 1.7 acres wouldnt cut it anyway without permission. need 3 acres to be legal unless they changed that and i dont think they did.

need 3 acres to be legal unless they changed that and i dont think they did.
    Source? I've never heard or read such a thing. Distance to occupied dwelling, yes. But never a minimum lot size. What if you owned 10 adjacent one acre lots?

Some states allow trespass, unarmed, to retrieve game and hunting dogs. Some allow trespass to hunt if the land is unimproved and not marked. Others make it a trespass violation if your projectile crosses the the property line. Make no assumptions. Maryland appears to be silent on the issue of retrieving game, so presume you cannot without permission.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Residential restriction is 150 yds from occupied buildings and 300 yds from schools, during school hours. Archery in Harford County is 100 yds or more. within 100 yds of an occupied building, the hunter would need permission from the occupants. As a MD resident your friend does not need a license to hunt on his own property, once every 30 days.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/pageFlip/

look at page 16

sm00kingwrx

Jul 23, 2013
    Residential restriction is 150 yds from occupied buildings and 300 yds from schools, during school hours. Archery in Harford County is 100 yds or more. within 100 yds of an occupied building, the hunter would need permission from the occupants. As a MD resident your friend does not need a license to hunt on his own property, once every 30 days.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/pageFlip/

look at page 16

Picked up a hard copy at Dicks in Wheaton when i bought my Mossberg 930 over the summer.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Source? I've never heard or read such a thing. Distance to occupied dwelling, yes. But never a minimum lot size. What if you owned 10 adjacent one acre lots?

Some states allow trespass, unarmed, to retrieve game and hunting dogs. Some allow trespass to hunt if the land is unimproved and not marked. Others make it a trespass violation if your projectile crosses the the property line. Make no assumptions. Maryland appears to be silent on the issue of retrieving game, so presume you cannot without permission.

It isn't silent on the issue. A client of mine was charged by DNR with trespass on PEPCO property when he went on a PEPCO throughway to retrieve his deer after he shot it on his property. A PEPCO employee witnessed it. The throughway was where PEPCO had its huge powerlines running. Completely ridiculous, but DNR said he should have contacted PEPCO and received permission to retrieve the deer.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I don't believe a landowner needs a license to hunt his/her own property at all, no matter how many times a year. This goes for their children also.

This is correct. A landowner and his children can hunt on the property without a hunting license every day of the year, as long as the game they are hunting is in season. Only exception is that if they are hunting migratory birds they need the stamps. Maybe not the state stamp, but definitely the federal stamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom