• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 17, 2009
    Looking for a pair of snow gloves with good dexterity, waterproof, and warm for plowing on an atv. Any recommendations?

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Interested in some other thoughts on the matter. I need some gloves and for too long lived with either a thin pair of work style gloves or the stupid thick ones that, while warm, feel like you're getting ready to step into the boxing ring. I need something flexible, warm enough for the mid Atlantic and weatherproof. Something that will wick away sweat would be ideal. You'd think Carhartt would have something to fit this particular bill but I'm seeing imperfect solutions thus far.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Interested in some other thoughts on the matter. I need some gloves and for too long lived with either a thin pair of work style gloves or the stupid thick ones that, while warm, feel like you're getting ready to step into the boxing ring. I need something flexible, warm enough for the mid Atlantic and weatherproof. Something that will wick away sweat would be ideal. You'd think Carhartt would have something to fit this particular bill but I'm seeing imperfect solutions thus far.

water proof and sweat wicking really don't mix.

either it will be waterproof or it will let the evaporative moisture out.

if you need waterproof gloves i find the best solution is a wiking liner that you can swap out throughout the day for a dry set and reuse the waterproof outer shell.

if it doesn't need to be waterproof then the cold weather mechanics gloves are great

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Feb 17, 2009
    After a trip to Lowes,spotted mechanix' winter armour gloves. Seem to be a great fit and pretty warm and for $25 they aren't too pricey. And just saw on their website they have a mossy oak version too damnit :mad54:

0nesh0t

Feb 20, 2011
    Anne Arundel
    treat your hands like the rest of your body - LAYERS!
    thin wool or poly liners next to skin.
    synthetic or down insulation for warmth. Mittens will ALWYAS keep you warmer than gloves.
    Leather, goretex, waterproof membrane, long cuff, gauntlett, etc... as needed for desired activity. As you get more active, shed a layer or change them out when they get wet.

Same goes for your feet!
    Synthetic or wool liners next to skin, thick thermal socks, then boots (with or without insulation) as needed for the task.

Buy a set of those military trigger finger outer mittens and wool glove liner underneath. You get gross-tune with the trigger finger, then fine detailed work with the liners. they are cotton and will get wet tho, so apply wax to the cotton to keep them waterproof.

Or go full on and get a very technical pair of Gore-Tex (or other WaterProof Membrane) set from Outdoor Research, Marmot, The North Face, or any other ski-type company. Serius is another alternative sold at Campmor. They are decent and priced well.

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    These with a pair of polypro liners served me well for commuting duty down to high 30's which is as low as I went. (not as cold as you'll be plowing, but w/o several mph's, I'm gonna guess :) ) Good combo of dexterity and warmth. But it's really gonna be up to you to find the sweet spot. Waterproofing is a matter of applying some nikwax or similar. Never was a fan of goretex gloves, even while cycling. Too hot or too cold, always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom