• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I know this topic has many threads, but this is more of a what the fxxk? At the Howard Co. show today and spoke with the guys at White Marsh Arms. Since they are a class I, II, and III dealer I asked about building an AR pistol from a stripped lower. The response I got was 180 degrees from what I'd been told at another gun dealer's store (who's an IP). The guys at White marsh arms said "not legal because it's regulated and not on the roster, I'd have to build it then submit it for approval." Even more WTF is the fact that another IP (engage armament) has complete LWRC PSD lowers for sale!? If it's not legal how are they selling them, the paperwork would'nt come back not-dissapproved if it's illegal? Before I have a stroke trying to figure this shit out somebody make some sense of this, and no comments from the peanut gallery, I'm no newby and have built two ARs already as well as a life long gun owning Marine.

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    My first question to you is how did you build a life long gun owning marine. That seems to be some very sophisticated Dr. Frakenstein type stuff going on at your place, clearly you should be able to build an AR pistol.

Just because someone works at a dealer doesn't mean they know WTF they are talking about. AR pistols are legit if built from a virgin stripped lower and doesn't require submission to anything. I am pretty sure you can't sell it as a pistol to someone else though. smarter more knowledgeable people should be along shortly.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    I know this topic has many threads, but this is more of a what the fxxk? At the Howard Co. show today and spoke with the guys at White Marsh Arms. Since they are a class I, II, and III dealer I asked about building an AR pistol from a stripped lower. The response I got was 180 degrees from what I'd been told at another gun dealer's store (who's an IP). The guys at White marsh arms said "not legal because it's regulated and not on the roster, I'd have to build it then submit it for approval." Even more WTF is the fact that another IP (engage armament) has complete LWRC PSD lowers for sale!? If it's not legal how are they selling them, the paperwork would'nt come back not-dissapproved if it's illegal? Before I have a stroke trying to figure this shit out somebody make some sense of this, and no comments from the peanut gallery, I'm no newby and have built two ARs already as well as a life long gun owning Marine.

http://www.msp.maryland.gov/Organiz...n/HandgunRoster/HandgunModels.aspx?manu=20415

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    As I understand things so far I can buy a stripped lower, a pistol buffer tube, and pistol length upper and as long as I don't sell, trade or transfer ownership of this weapon to anyone else ever, I'm legit. One reputable store owner I often chat with about these things says it needs engraving(pistol I think). He's gone through the NFA circus multiple time for SBS, SBR and AOWs. The White Marsh Arms guys build and sell Class I, II, and III weapons so I have to at least take what they say into consideration. And my parents and later a half dozen screaming drill instructors made this life long gun owning Marine not me.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    It DOES NOT need to be engraved pistol. You just need to take a stripped lower, and build it into a pistol configuration. Your completely legal.

You can't sell it unless you convert it to a rifle, that's the only real rub.

-Jim

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    If you call MSP to ask why a stripped lower receiver is regulated, their response will typically include the fact that a stripped AR-15 lower receiver can be build into a pistol. There is nothing in Maryland state law that prohibits an AR-15 pistol build, which means it's legal

So you can build a ar-15 pistol with a standard lower with a pistol buffer tube
    ( that will not accept a stock ) and be legit with msp ?
    I was told that they were banned from even possessing the in the state of md... I would love to build one for myself,,, bit I don't wanna end up on the wrong side of the law ,,,
    Is anyone here 10000000 %%% sure of this ?of so please chime in and set the record strait .....

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I was told that they were banned from even possessing the in the state of md... I would love to build one for myself,,, bit I don't wanna end up on the wrong side of the law ,,,
    Is anyone here 10000000 %%% sure of this ?of so please chime in and set the record strait .....

If it's not prohibited, it's legal.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH

There seems to be confusion caused by the Bushmaster pistol being banned. Most assume the banned pistol is an AR-15 profile pistol. But it is not:

bushmaster_rightside_mag_web.jpg

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.

The Lower is already regulated. When you purchase it, you wait the seven days like normal. As long as you don't SBR it meaning Lower, Upper, and butt stock, you're OK. If you add a butt stock, please pay the man $200 bucks, and you can pass go. Baldwin?? I'm right up the road from you in Phoenix.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I have all the parts with the exception of the stripped lower to build a pistol. When the lowers come from the group buy and are in my possesion, it will be built in short form. Put a front grip on an AR pistol and it's NFA a $5 tax stamp I believe. Put a stock on and it's an SBR $200 tax stamp. All of these damn laws are ridiculous but, so is the government. :sad20:

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I have all the parts with the exception of the stripped lower to build a pistol. When the lowers come from the group buy and are in my possesion, it will be built in short form. Put a front grip on an AR pistol and it's NFA a $5 tax stamp I believe. Put a stock on and it's an SBR $200 tax stamp. All of these damn laws are ridiculous but, so is the government. :sad20:

A forward grip requires a form 1 and a $200.00 stamp to "manufacture" an AOW. It then requires a $5.00 stamp to transfer.
    -Jim

Old CATM Dude

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 15, 2012
    Make sure that you don't have parts around that can make the gun an SBR or AOW unless you have an approved(tax stamp) form 1. The ATFE can and will make you spend lots of money and go to jail if you don't do things right.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Make sure that you don't have parts around that can make the gun an SBR or AOW unless you have an approved(tax stamp) form 1. The ATFE can and will make you spend lots of money and go to jail if you don't do things right.

I have an AR-15 with a 16" barrel. I also have a spare stock and two vertical pistol grips along with a bunch of other parts that I have swapped off my AR-15. So what you are saying is that I cannot be in possesion of either of those parts when building an AR Pistol?

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I have an AR-15 with a 16" barrel. I also have a spare stock and two vertical pistol grips along with a bunch of other parts that I have swapped off my AR-15. So what you are saying is that I cannot be in possesion of either of those parts when building an AR Pistol?

As long as you have legitimate use for the parts you have, you'll have nothing to worry about.

-Jim

As long as you have legitimate use for the parts you have, you'll have nothing to worry about.

-Jim

Having other rifles that will accept all the spare parts laying around, would this be considered a legitimate use ?
    If I have an a-2 stock buffer tube with the threaded hole filled with aluminum braze so a stock could not be attached would this be an acceptable for a pistol buffer ?

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    A forward grip requires a form 1 and a $200.00 stamp to "manufacture" an AOW. It then requires a $5.00 stamp to transfer.
    -Jim

It seems they want their $200 any way they can get it. Sons-a-B!tches. Thanks for the info Jim I wasn't sure on the forward grip cost. These issues should be paid close attention to, especially for the new AR owners who can buy all different kinds of parts and put a franken-gun together that might get them in trouble unknowingly. Thanks again Jim :party29:

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom