• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Well about two months ago I felt a tug behind the ol’ navel to look into these rifles. In doing some research and lurking on a Muzzleloader Forum, I was able to learn some good information.
    So I ordered a Tennessee Valley Muzzleloader rifle to be made. I ordered their base / entry model, the Poorboy. I got it bone stock save for having the barrels swamped. Mine will be a lefty in .54 and I really can’t wait! I’m pretty excited to start this new avenue in the sport! It should be my way in about April I would think!

Anyone else out there into Flinters too??

- Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Congrats. "Rock Rifles" rock! :party29:

Don't mean to hijack your thread. Just thought I'd show you some of the fun Hooligans have with them.

:D

Attachments

• 4570 Flintlock Capture.jpg
      4570 Flintlock Capture.jpg
      47.5 KB · Views: 531
    • COMBATAK Flintlock Capture.jpg
      COMBATAK Flintlock Capture.jpg
      53.4 KB · Views: 530
    • Snapshot 3 (9-22-2019 12-22 PM).jpg
      Snapshot 3 (9-22-2019 12-22 PM).jpg
      54.8 KB · Views: 527

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    man, can you imagine the snipers during the Revolutionary War in the woods taking out ranking officers? Not to suttle of a muzzle blast :P Looks awwwwwwwwwwesome!!!!

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    I love flinters. I recently joined the Marriottsville Muzzleloaders at AGC. I've got a Tennessee Mtn rifle in .54 and a short, lightweight Lancaster style in .40 cal. I'll be building a steel/iron mounted Lancaster style in .50 cal this winter.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Have wanted a flint longrifle for many years but have yet to take the plunge. I held one at the shop in Williamsburg and nothing ever came close to that balance and form - perfection!

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I saw the ones in Williamsbug. Awesome!! Takes quite a while to get, though. How long will it take for the TN Valley place?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yankee Doodle went to Boston
    For to buy a firelock.
    We will tar and feather him
    And so we will John Hancock.

-- British marching song, circa 1774 -5

That's all I've got right now.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Welcome to the club! You'll find that nothing shocks the usual crowd more than a flintlock...with the possible exception of a matchlock.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    I love flinters. I recently joined the Marriottsville Muzzleloaders at AGC. I've got a Tennessee Mtn rifle in .54 and a short, lightweight Lancaster style in .40 cal. I'll be building a steel/iron mounted Lancaster style in .50 cal this winter.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I really need to find a connection down here! I’ll make the quickest progress with a group to learn from!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    High-end flintlocks can be pricey. Custom made ones are maybe well worth the $'s. I've never dealt with Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders. My bet is they build and sell quality stuff.

In the meantime (while one is waiting for a better quality flintlock) for about $300 you can build your own in a few weeks. That way you gain experience in their construction and basics on timing, firing and accurizing them. For example, here's a thread on a Traditions kit I built recently: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=229363

Shooting flintlocks brings a range warrior to a whole "new and old" experience. While they seem similar, flintlocks are much different than shooting cap locks and cartridge firearms. They are in a class of their own.

Looking forward to some pics from brentona about his new addition in the future. :thumbsup:

:)

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Found a Pedersoli .75 caliber brown bess flintlock at an estate sale last weekend in like new condition for $225(about 1/4 of what it's worth). They're slow of course but still fun to shoot.

Attachments

• 20201023_172524.jpg
      20201023_172524.jpg
      105.6 KB · Views: 250

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Brentona, congrats
    Weoponscollector, that is the BP buy of the year!

Brentona, if you have not already , read up on cleaning and all the Nick nacks you will need to shoot and clean because it’s plentiful. Definitely get a range rod long enough for loading
    3F for the load and 4f for the pan. 3f will work in the pan but many people recommend 4f for faster ignition

Here are my flints
    Brown Bess , Charleville, and a Dixie Cadet (built from a kit)
    f43638c87d13e22177d8836e0edd597f.jpg

f04270efdf6e0767b0f585e596b22ea1.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Melnic, since you have both the Brown Bess and the Charleville, perhaps you can comment on their relative ergonomics.

I read somewhere once, in American Rifleman I think, that the Brown Bess points much more naturally than the Charleville, that soldiers armed with the Charleville are likely to shoot high. Does that make sense to you?

Of course, the Charleville was the basis for many American muskets for generations.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Both are replicas so I am not sure how accurate they are to the originals
    The Charleville comb drops as it moves back to the butt and with my cheek weld on it , it’s lower that’s the Bess that is flatter. Both I recall shot high at 50 yards but that is expected. I have yet to shoot the Bess and the stock is pinned so you can’t remove it easily to clean it. Charleville is East to take apart.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I think the reference was to the "pointing" characteristics of the muskets, assuming they are shouldered quickly and pointed rather than aimed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom