• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I picked up a new Marlin 1894 last week. While removing the screws in the tapped scope mount holes in the receiver, one appears to have been put in by an overzealous machinist. It is stuck, I've hit it with penetrating oil, and letting it sit a while. Any tips or tricks to get this thing out? I'm afraid to booger up the slot in the head and not get it out. The other three screws came right out. This is a brand new firearm, so it's not like a previous owner put thread lock on it.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I picked up a new Marlin 1894 last week. While removing the screws in the tapped scope mount holes in the receiver, one appears to have been put in by an overzealous machinist. It is stuck, I've hit it with penetrating oil, and letting it sit a while. Any tips or tricks to get this thing out? I'm afraid to booger up the slot in the head and not get it out. The other three screws came right out. This is a brand new firearm, so it's not like a previous owner put thread lock on it.
    Make sure you are using the right matched gunsmith style screwdriver to start. Should be perfect fit with screwdriver and slot. Good penetrating oil usually does the trick. If not, a little, emphasis little, heat often helps. The right screwdriver is key to not boggering slot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Make sure you are using the right matched gunsmith style screwdriver to start. Should be perfect fit with screwdriver and slot. Good penetrating oil usually does the trick. If not, a little, emphasis little, heat often helps. The right screwdriver is key to not boggering slot.

MTBgunworks.com

Wisdom right here^^^.

OP with the situation he describes has 3 choices. Try to remove the screw himself, visit local gunsmith, or send new rifle back to manufacturer for warranty repair.

I'm sure OP isn't thrilled with any of these choices. Especially with a brand new rifle. But if you're going to choose the first option, make sure you at least have the proper screwdriver that fits the slot as precisely as possible.

This and similar examples come up all the time with firearms. Best to buy a quality set of hollow ground screwdrivers. It won't be "if", but rather "when" you'll need one or more of the set.

Me, I'm a believer. Many of us learn this lesson sooner or later, typically (like me) the hard way at some point or other.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    If you want to add heat to it, take a soldering iron and hold tip to the screw until it heats up.

Thanks for that info. I thought about doing that, or trying to use a butane lighter. Although I will be taking it to Bluefins and let Dave have a crack at it. I'm in there frequently to get supplies for fishing, and my boat is 5 minutes from his shop, so it's an easy stop. I'll also take the box I case he thinks it will have to go back to Mfr. In the mean time, I'll keep penetrating oil on it until Monday.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you want to add heat to it, take a soldering iron and hold tip to the screw until it heats up.

If you heat only the screw, it will break down any thread locker, but the screw will expand and be TIGHTER in the hole.

You need to head the surrounding metal, while cooling the screw.

I would use a heat gun to gently warm the receiver.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    If you decide to send it back have a look over the entire rifle and get it all done at the same time. Hopefully you can get it right out using the correct screw driver. Whats troublesome is that a plug screw is that hard to get out. I think I remember the holes for a marlin being tapped straight through the top of the action. If the screw was started crooked and the threads are buggered they will never be the same even after they are chased out. the newer marlin line is only a smattering of what they used to be. Even though you just want to get your new rifle together I would be patient and send it back.

scouse

Mar 6, 2013
    Havana on the Severn
    Problem is, if, in your efforts to remove the screw, you wring it off (snap it, leaving part of the screw in the threads) you will more than likely have no recourse with the manufacturer - you will own it. I would send it back, let them bugger it up.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you decide to send it back have a look over the entire rifle and get it all done at the same time. Hopefully you can get it right out using the correct screw driver. Whats troublesome is that a plug screw is that hard to get out. I think I remember the holes for a marlin being tapped straight through the top of the action. If the screw was started crooked and the threads are buggered they will never be the same even after they are chased out. the newer marlin line is only a smattering of what they used to be. Even though you just want to get your new rifle together I would be patient and send it back.

Problem is, if, in your efforts to remove the screw, you wring it off (snap it, leaving part of the screw in the threads) you will more than likely have no recourse with the manufacturer - you will own it. I would send it back, let them bugger it up.

+1

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I've been shooting penetrating oil in it, and heated the receiver a little bit with a heat gun, in which I hope let some of the oil into the threads. Dropping it off at Bluefins tomorrow when I get in from fishing. Dave is pretty sharp, if he thinks it needs to go back, that's where it goes. I have never had a screw plug stick like this one is. BTW, I used a screwdriver from a Wheelers gunsmith set, hollow ground, etc. didn't work.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    impact wrench?? - do a search

Dave tried an impact screwdriver on it today, no luck. He is shipping it back to Marlin for me. I have been dealing with Bluefins for a long time, Dave and Jaimie run a great small business and go out of their way to make customers happy. Pretty dissapointed with Marlin Firearms, that such a small part can cause a big headache. I wouldn't be surprised if it will be six weeks turnaround.:mad54:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Dave tried an impact screwdriver on it today, no luck. He is shipping it back to Marlin for me. I have been dealing with Bluefins for a long time, Dave and Jaimie run a great small business and go out of their way to make customers happy. Pretty dissapointed with Marlin Firearms, that such a small part can cause a big headache. I wouldn't be surprised if it will be six weeks turnaround.:mad54:

Hopefully it won't take that long. :fingerscrossed:

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    If you heat only the screw, it will break down any thread locker, but the screw will expand and be TIGHTER in the hole.

You need to head the surrounding metal, while cooling the screw.

I would use a heat gun to gently warm the receiver.

It is a brand new rifle, there is no thread lock in there. My guess is it was cross threaded when it was assembled. Bluefins had a Marlin rep on the phone while I was there today, it is going back to them.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Marlin will have a Metal Disintegration Machine (MDM) in their shop just for tough screws and bolts. I've seen a machinist with MDM disintegrate a broken off screw in aircraft parts in just a few minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom