• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Hey everyone... I'd like the groups thoughts on these two knives, particularly if you've owned either or both. I've never owned a Benchmade but got to handle a few at the HoCo Gun Show. I recently purchased a Spyderco Tenacious and like the singlehanded operation of the blade... it's addictive. The lock up is strong, but the steel is 8cr13mov... it was relatively inexpensive and I bought it more for curiosity to see how the blade deployed. I've owned a bunch of Kershaw and CRKT knives and got used to the flipper design, but am now wanting higher end steel for my EDC knife... as always, thanks in advance...

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    While I have never owned a griptillian; I own several other benchmades. One thing you will not be disappointed about is their customer service and quality. I have a few of their knives that are 154. I've been happy with it, sharpens easy lasts a decent time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I carried a spyderco for over a decade then bought a griptillian. I like the way the spyderco fit in my pocket better since it is so thin. I like the hold you get on the griptillian better. As I got used to the blade release I've come to like the griptillian more.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A Manix2LW in S110V, manix2XL and my custom 550 are some of my most frequently EDC'ed blades. have owned a number of other variants of both models. I love the 550 and manix blade shapes, the broad curved edge makes them fantastic slicers with a sharp and low point that offers great control. The Benchmade's hollow grind leaves a thinner, sharper edge, but the full flat grind of the manix glides through bulky material a bit easier. The spyderhole in both is easy to open, and there isn't a stud to get caught in material you are cutting. The Manix2 handle is thinner, more secure, and with the forward choil allows you to choke up for detail cutting, better than the standard grip handle in just about every way.

The choil does come at some expense to cutting edge length, the Griptilian is about the same size as the standard manix, but has the same cutting edge length as the XL. The Griptilian handle has less grip and a slicker texture than the Manix 2, feels a little flimsy, but that is solved with the G10 handles on the 550-1. The Manix G10 handles feel solid, maybe a little heavy, the lightweight FRN version is very sturdy and significantly lighter, but the standard BD-1 steel kinda sucks, even 154CM holds an edge longer. The Axis lock moves further than the BB lock to disengage or take pressure off the detent to open the blade, but it has a much lighter spring, and is easier to use, especially with one finger. Both blades are great, can't really go wrong with either, especially the supersteel Manix2s or the solid upgrades found in the 550-1.

20170212_202757.jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    A Manix2LW in S110V, manix2XL and my custom 550 are some of my most frequently EDC'ed blades. have owned a number of other variants of both models. I love the 550 and manix blade shapes, the broad curved edge makes them fantastic slicers with a sharp and low point that offers great control. The Benchmade's hollow grind leaves a thinner, sharper edge, but the full flat grind of the manix glides through bulky material a bit easier. The spyderhole in both is easy to open, and there isn't a stud to get caught in material you are cutting. The Manix2 handle is thinner, more secure, and with the forward choil allows you to choke up for detail cutting, better than the standard grip handle in just about every way.

The choil does come at some expense to cutting edge length, the Griptilian is about the same size as the standard manix, but has the same cutting edge length as the XL. The Griptilian handle has less grip and a slicker texture than the Manix 2, feels a little flimsy, but that is solved with the G10 handles on the 550-1. The Manix G10 handles feel solid, maybe a little heavy, the lightweight FRN version is very sturdy and significantly lighter, but the standard BD-1 steel kinda sucks, even 154CM holds an edge longer. The Axis lock moves further than the BB lock to disengage or take pressure off the detent to open the blade, but it has a much lighter spring, and is easier to use, especially with one finger. Both blades are great, can't really go wrong with either, especially the supersteel Manix2s or the solid upgrades found in the 550-1.

View attachment 198078

Nerd.

Don't forget about the PMII spyderco. The compression lock takes a little to get used to, but then is pretty awesome. I like the flat spine and thumb ramp of the pmII over the manix blade shape. The manix handle does feel a little better though due to the more aggressive choil and middle finger cutout.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The Benchmade mini Griptillian has been my EDC for years. I went with the smaller size because I used to go into DC a lot for work, and wanted something legal to carry under 3 inches. The sheepsfoot blade seemed to set a police officer at ease the one time I was asked about it, though please don't think that constitutes sound legal advice. I assume whether or not a folding knife with a non scary blade has a utility use or not is up to the officer. Since I use mine for utility purposes and have yet to stab anyone with it, I felt comfortable carrying it in DC. Be it on your own head, etc.

At any rate, I recently replaced it with a rotation between a CR large Sebenza and a ZT 0450, but I expect I'll eventually end up with the mini griptillian in my pocket again. The belly of that sheepsfoot blade makes it a great slicer. Lot of knife in a small form factor.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The Benchmade mini Griptillian has been my EDC for years. I went with the smaller size because I used to go into DC a lot for work, and wanted something legal to carry under 3 inches. The sheepsfoot blade seemed to set a police officer at ease the one time I was asked about it, though please don't think that constitutes sound legal advice. I assume whether or not a folding knife with a non scary blade has a utility use or not is up to the officer. Since I use mine for utility purposes and have yet to stab anyone with it, I felt comfortable carrying it in DC. Be it on your own head, etc.

At any rate, I recently replaced it with a rotation between a CR large Sebenza and a ZT 0450, but I expect I'll eventually end up with the mini griptillian in my pocket again. The belly of that sheepsfoot blade makes it a great slicer. Lot of knife in a small form factor.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KIMSG6/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_4_w
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-FASTBACK-Hawk-Bill-Flip-Knife-48-22-1985/203980982
    interesting sidenote, many of the more "tactical" blade designs have been around for just about ever and were developed as useful work knives. For instance, what shape is good for carpet and harvesting mushrooms is one of the most tacticularlly evil ones out there....
    http://www.foxcutlery.com/n/en/product/1646/fox_knives_folding_karamb.html

Hell, straight razors are great due to the straight edge for slicing(the pressure on the cutting edge remains consistent as the material moves along it, rather than changing vectors like a curved blade), and shaving is one of the most mundane uses for a blade.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I like the Griptillian's Axis lock and it is one hand open and close. Just never cared for Spyderco's thumb hole opening.

The compression lock and ball lock knives will swing freely open when you depress the lock, similar to the axis locks.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    If you like the Grip, spring for the one in G10 with the 20CV blade. Not that the standard Grip is bad - it's quite good actually. However, that new G10 grip and supersteel combo take an already great knife to a higher level.

Side note... I am a bit biased. Bought my first BM in 1999 and never looked back. I've got about 45 or so now.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    This is my first Benchmade. I opted for thus over the Spyderco, but I still have the Para2 in s30v on my wish list...

callidus

May 21, 2013
    Maryland
    +1 on the Benchmade. I have a Rift with 154CM that's been fantastic as an EDC. Holds the edge very well, not terribly difficult to sharpen. S30V isn't a bad steel either. Can't go wrong either way really, but I'd take the BM. Their customer service is a+ as well.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I am liking the look and reviews of the PM3. I may have to spring for one.

The Benchmade I just got is about as sharp a knife as I've ever had straight out of the box... but, yeah, my next knife is probably a Spyderco PM 3

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    The Benchmade I just got is about as sharp a knife as I've ever had straight out of the box... but, yeah, my next knife is probably a Spyderco PM 3

I have a PM2, Stretch, and a Delica 4. While I like each for its own characteristics, the Delica 4 fits my hand the best. The PM3 appears to be a similar length and I like the G10 scales on my PM2. I think it will be the best of both worlds for me.

Does anyone have a PM3 and a Delica 4 that can do a side by side shot with them and post it?

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I've recently bought 5 knives ranging in price from $7 to $100... 4 of the 5 are very similar dimensions (I gravitate towards 3 inch blades), but couldn't be more different in terms of function and steel. As soon as I get some time with each, and a break, I'll write up a review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom