• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I remember being told that a loaded mag was fine, EXCEPT in Moco. Maybe Moco has their own rule about it? Or maybe that's not true at all.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's called pre-emption, state law with regards to most things firearms, preempts county and local law. MoCo has no such law and if they did, state law would preempt it.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I can't find it now. (Trying to use search with phone) Didn't Gansler put out some type of letter addressing long gun carry in autos? I seem to remember that he wrote an opinion that having a loaded long gun in a vehicle was OK. But then again, I'm old and tend to forget things.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    AG memos on loaded magazines ( not in the gun), and on Long Gun Open Carry, but not aware on one addressing loaded long guns in vehicles.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    From the MSP website:

How can I legally transport firearms within / through Maryland?

​They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person. For more information please contact our Licensing Division​.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/FAQs.aspx

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...cle=gcr&section=4-203&ext=html&session=2015RS

for handguns, this is COMAR for transport...
    (3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    (4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources–sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

I'm fairly sure that any time I am traveling, I'm "on my way to a repair shop" or "on my way to informal target pratice"....especially if you have an extra set of sights packed with the gun that may need to be put on.

So, unloaded handgun in an enclosed case or holster and "on the way to a bona fide repair shop to put on sights" makes it fine. Not having access and suchforth deals more with FOPA and crossing state lines.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Laws may still be on the books, but state preemption is state preemption.

Not exactly, see Criminal Law Article 4-209:

4-209. Regulation of weapons and ammunition

(a) State preemption. -- Except as otherwise provided in this section, the State preempts the right of a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district to regulate the purchase, sale, taxation, transfer, manufacture, repair, ownership, possession, and transportation of:

(1) a handgun, rifle, or shotgun; and

(2) ammunition for and components of a handgun, rifle, or shotgun.

(b) Exceptions. --

(1) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may regulate the purchase, sale, transfer, ownership, possession, and transportation of the items listed in subsection (a) of this section:

(i) with respect to minors;

(ii) with respect to law enforcement officials of the subdivision; and

(iii) except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, within 100 yards of or in a park, church, school, public building, and other place of public assembly.

(2) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may not prohibit the teaching of or training in firearms safety, or other educational or sporting use of the items listed in subsection (a) of this section.

(3) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may not prohibit the transportation of an item listed in subsection (a) of this section by a person who is carrying a court order requiring the surrender of the item, if:

(i) the handgun, rifle, or shotgun is unloaded;

(ii) the person has notified the law enforcement unit, barracks, or station that the item is being transported in accordance with the court order; and

(iii) the person transports the item directly to the law enforcement unit, barracks, or station.

(c) Preexisting local laws. -- To the extent that a local law does not create an inconsistency with this section or expand existing regulatory control, a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may exercise its existing authority to amend any local law that existed on or before December 31, 1984.

(d) Discharge of firearms. --

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, in accordance with law, a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may regulate the discharge of handguns, rifles, and shotguns.

(2) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may not prohibit the discharge of firearms at established ranges.

HISTORY: An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36H; 2002, ch. 26, § 2; 2010, ch. 712.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So according to the law, as quoted above, any firearms law on the books locally before 12/31/84 is still enforceable by the locality and not preempted by state law.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So according to the law, as quoted above, any firearms law on the books locally before 12/31/84 is still enforceable by the locality and not preempted by state law.

Yep

That's why Rockville, Baltimore, and Leonardtown have firearm casing ordinances.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Does anyone have access to the original AG opinion on this? Either an accessible picture of link?

It looks as though the link is now unavailable.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I printed a copy and put it under the foam in my range pistol cases. I did this long before i got my permit. If the issue ever came up I would have the documentation right there with me.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I have some friends who can't unsubscribe to fuddlore spam. You know the type. Firearms are only ever loaded when you got the trophy buck in the cross hairs or at the range. Their shtick is showing up at a range with their firearms in the OEM cases, complete with original paper manuals. Have to spend minutes on end finding stuff, loading mags, fidgeting, and waiting for you to lead them. Just about everytime they shoot, they pause, lower gun/tilt their head and look at the target.

I think they would get a lot better if they practiced more but the fuddlore is still really strong. "my buddy's buddy got a huge ticket because a cop saw his hunting rifle in the back seat without an open action"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom