• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I was chatting with a gun friend of mine and he was saying how he did not permit loaded magazines to enter the range when he's RSO. No problem there, his call. But he also said it would prevent people from being arrested because transporting a loaded magazine in Maryland is illegal. I'm 99% certain this is incorrect but I cannot find anything in Maryland law defining this (yes, I did search here). Is that because Maryland law simply does not address this and permission to do so is assumed? Thanks for the info and apologies if I missed the info elsewhere here.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Ranges have that policy for 1 of 2 reasons, they don't know the law, or they want you to use up more time, and make more money off of you, either way it's stupid. This is the type of misinformation that spreads till you basically end up with a de facto ban when there isn't one, and hurts us all.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Ranges have that policy for 1 of 2 reasons, they don't know the law, or they want you to use up more time, and make more money off of you, either way it's stupid. This is the type of misinformation that spreads till you basically end up with a de facto ban when there isn't one, and hurts us all.

And for sake of redundency, said loaded magazine must NOT be in the gun.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah, Ive heard the "Get ten years per bullet" more than once about loaded mags myself. Yeah guy, I've seen the movie "Training Day" too.

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    Does this apply to rifles too? I had heard that rifle mags couldn't be loaded (even if not in a rifle), but I had heard it probably the same way the RSO heard that handgun mags were illegal to be loaded. Can someone please weigh in?

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Does this apply to rifles too? I had heard that rifle mags couldn't be loaded (even if not in a rifle), but I had heard it probably the same way the RSO heard that handgun mags were illegal to be loaded. Can someone please weigh in?

No difference

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

It is "magazines," period.

There are other regulations governing what you can and can't do with a rifle in a car (hunting based, mostly) but as far as loaded magazines, rifle ones are just like pistol ones.

May 13, 2005
    Just remember that you can't legally bring them on many Federal Government properties, since quite a few MDS folks frequent those daily.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Careful who you listen to.

Read and interpret the best that you can.

Had local cop at range tell me my 30 round AR mags were illegal to own in MD. He wasn't going to act on it, but said he could.
    I took my nephew (detective) to the range that day.
    He schooled the other cop politely. They agreed to disagree.
    Nephew commented later that if that was an example of what that jurisdiction was focused on to begin with, they needed to downsize the number of officers.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Something like loaded mags should be a firm range rule (loaded or unloaded) and not left up to an individual RSO. No offense, but I wouldn't want that guy as my RSO spouting off incorrect information about gun laws that he clearly doesn't understand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It is "magazines," period.

There are other regulations governing what you can and can't do with a rifle in a car (hunting based, mostly) but as far as loaded magazines, rifle ones are just like pistol ones.

from MD's hunting regs
    It is unlawful to have a loaded firearm in, on, or leaning against any vehicle. This includes ammunition in the magazine or a muzzleloader ready to fire.

This is the reg that some refer to, it is true in some cases you might be kosher with state law, but run into trouble with hunting statutes. Problem is there are other statutes, no more than 8 rounds loaded, 1200FPE floor, expanding ammo only etc. So while the DNR might be able to hand a person transporting an AR with mags full of FMJ a stack of citations, it would look stupid to cite for a pile of hunting regs when a person clearly was not hunting. I'm not aware of any case where it has happened either.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    from MD's hunting regs

This is the reg that some refer to, it is true in some cases you might be kosher with state law, but run into trouble with hunting statutes. Problem is there are other statutes, no more than 8 rounds loaded, 1200FPE floor, expanding ammo only etc. So while the DNR might be able to hand a person transporting an AR with mags full of FMJ a stack of citations, it would look stupid to cite for a pile of hunting regs when a person clearly was not hunting. I'm not aware of any case where it has happened either.

I interpret that to mean an empty chamber with rounds in the magazine (in the gun)
    I got checked by a game warden, had my rifle laying on my tailgate, loaded magazine laying next to it and there was no problem.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    from MD's hunting regs

The only regulation that impacts long gun loaded transport at all is the hunting regulation. I wouldn't want to be the test case but if you are not hunting I see nowhere in the law that it is illegal to transport a loaded long gun for self defense in MD. It's not the most practical thing to do of course. IANAL and I would not recommend loaded long gun transport just because... Maryland!

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Except the more that we do long gun transport , the more we re-normalize it for new recruits to police agencies who encounter it.

It's not Long Gun Carry, but it's an important exercise in our heritage.

Clandestine is an excellent example. Long Gun Transport every day that he can.

If we don't do this, who will?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom