• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    It's come to my attention that to hunt certain state/fed land, a SQ card (bow and shotgun) must be had. Can anyone tell me where I can get this? Thanks for the help

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Check the MD DNR website for a class near you, there are specialty classes for Bow and Muzzleloader.

Fall is mainly when there are shootin qualifications Bow/Shotgun/Muzzleloader for managed hunts and such.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I believe they are held at IWLAs if we're talking about the same thing. It's a place to start looking, anyways.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    If you are talking about MD Shooter Qualification Card Program, the 2015 scheduled hasn't been released.

Generally they start in Aug and as previously stated many organizations host multiple days for the Qualification.

Again if MD, look in the back of your MD guide to Hunting & Trapping or go to page 56-57 of the following link and when filling out an application for a Manage Deer Hunt, they generally require the number of your Q-card . http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/14MDHD_LR.pdf

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If you are talking about MD Shooter Qualification Card Program, the 2015 scheduled hasn't been released.

Generally they start in Aug and as previously stated many organizations host multiple days for the Qualification.

Again if MD, look in the back of your MD guide to Hunting & Trapping or go to page 56-57 of the following link and when filling out an application for a Manage Deer Hunt, they generally require the number of your Q-card . http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/14MDHD_LR.pdf

^ This. But most archery and gun clubs do the quals in the late summer.

If you plan to qualify for a county managed hunt (HoCo, MoCo, Anne Arundel) there are special quals over and above the state, contact the deer project manager for that county.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Thanks for the help guys. This doesn't seem very straightforward. I'm looking into patuxent by ft Meade and patapsco in east hoco near Balt co. Maybe I should physically go to those locations and ask in person exactly what is
    Needed.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Thanks for the help guys. This doesn't seem very straightforward. I'm looking into patuxent by ft Meade and patapsco in east hoco near Balt co. Maybe I should physically go to those locations and ask in person exactly what is
    Needed.

Actually, the qualification itself is extremely straightforward:

Shotgun: 9” circle, 3 out of 5 shots at 40 yards.
    Muzzleloader: 9” circle, 2 out of 3 shots at 40 yards.

Archery (xbox, vbow): 9” circle, 3 out of 5 shots at varying dist
    ances, 30 yards and less, broadheads only.

AGC will do the quals in the summer for $10 I think. Dayton Rod and Gun Club used to do it, not sure if they still do. Meyer Station and Glen Brook Rifle does it too.

After you qualify you get a little card. You take it to Patapsco with your hunt license to get the managed hunt permit. I have not hunted Ft Meade in a while, but they do the quals also for members, and the card is valid state wide (also at Patapsco). I think they only do the quals one or two days in august.

For the county-specific managed hunts there is an application process and the requirements are a little more stringent (HoCO I think is 3/4 into a 6" target from elevated stand at varying distances).

The reason you are having trouble finding info is that the actual schedule is not out until maybe June.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Needed.

Dang, it is very straight forward: to hunt on Patuxent, you need your MD Shooters Qualification Card for the weapon(s) you are going to use. For example: if you are going to hunt with shotgun, MZ & or Bow, you need a MD Shooters Qualification Card for that specific firearm|bow.

As previously stated, the 2015 schedule for the qualification dates & locations haven't been posted.

User "danb" above posts, explains the qual system.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    If I take the TX hunter ed. course online and get the card do I have to something else to hunt the managed lands mentioned?

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    If I take the TX hunter ed. course online and get the card do I have to something else to hunt the managed lands mentioned?
    Yes. Hunters safety is totally different from this. You have to actually shoot and qualify with the weapons you plan to use to show you can hit what you are aiming at if you want to hunt these areas. Usually need to be able to shoot a group the size of a paper plate at certain distance and get your card. They do this to hunt on Ft. Meade also.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I know the RSOs at AGC Marriottsville Road Range do it but I don't if it's year round or not give them a call. 410-461-8532. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom