• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Its been near 20 years since I hunted in MD I have a current PA license and was wondering if I can get a MD license because of the PA license, or do I have to take the MD safety course? i dont have any documentation from when I hunted in MD.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Yes, you have to have a successfully completed a hunter education course.

If you have not taken a hunter education class, an online class is available, if you are over 17. http://www.hunter-ed.com/texas/

The hunter education does not have to be Maryland specifically.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    As I understand it, you can get the Texas license online, and transfer it to MD.

Edit: what inigoes said.

BTW,

Its not a license, it is a certificate. There is no transfer what-so-ever.

It is a state recognized by Maryland for reciprosity. When the OP purchases a Maryland hunting license, he/she will use the number issued by Texas.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    So take the tx online course, then use that number on the md license. Easy enough

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    Its been near 20 years since I hunted in MD I have a current PA license and was wondering if I can get a MD license because of the PA license, or do I have to take the MD safety course? i dont have any documentation from when I hunted in MD.

His current PA license wouldn't work to get a MD license? It's a PA hunting license right?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    His current PA license wouldn't work to get a MD license? It's a PA hunting license right?

Should.

Anytime I've gotten a license in another State they have no clue what numbers are going into their system. Of course, this is MD we are talking about. He'll probably need livescan and photos by the time he's done.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

No

When you buy a MD hunting License, you must supply a hunter education certification number, or have hunted before 1977 in MD.

There are no exceptions for LEOs, or military either.

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    No

When you buy a MD hunting License, you must supply a hunter education certification number, or have hunted before 1977 in MD.

There are no exceptions for LEOs, or military either.

That's sad. Try the Texas online class. I took it and it was about an hour and cost around $25 I think.

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    No, its the law.

Believe it or not, LEOs have complained they have to take hunter education to go hunting.

Navigating an obstacle hunting, is not the same as navigating an obstacle for a military member or LEO.

I was referring to the fact that you already have a hunting license in another state and have presumably taken a hunter safety class before, or been hunting for some time. Of course I don't know if PA requires a hunter safety course or not.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I was referring to the fact that you already have a hunting license in another state and have presumably taken a hunter safety class before, or been hunting for some time. Of course I don't know if PA requires a hunter safety course or not.

They did not, years ago.

Military service was substituted for the education requirements in PA.

If the OP is like me, I took a hunter edcation class over 30 years ago as a kid, and lost the card. There were no computerized records at the time. I had to retake the hunter education, so I could hunt in Maryland. This is a common occurance with us old farts.

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    They did not, years ago.

Military service was substituted for the education requirements.

If the OP is like me, I took a hunter edcation class over 30 years ago as a kid, and lost the card. There were no computerized records at the time. I had to retake the hunter education, so I could hunt in Maryland. This is a common occurance with us old farts.

:lol: I guess I shouldn't be surprised that MD makes things difficult.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County

PA does not have a hunter safety requirement as I have had one for the last several years and cannot get one in MD as of now. Does the TX thing really work?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Yes

Hunter education is not like drivers licenses, or carry permits.

It even works for the HQL training that is accepted by the Maryland State Police.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    They did not, years ago.

Military service was substituted for the education requirements in PA.

Not this old fart. I took my class as a kid more than 30years ago. I went to the DNR last year and they pulled up my record and issued me a new card. OP, you should contact DNR first.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The records only go back as far as when the Hunter Safety class became madatory. Does NOT have records for the years that the HS was volentary and sugguested , but not yet required.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Keep in mind, a safety refresher course is always a good thing.

The 40ish age group, is the age group with the most accidents. Getting an introduction or update on the current safety technology could save your life. Especially, if one has had a 20-30 hunting hiatus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom