• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    After October 1st when I/we get a HQL will the 7 day wait period still be in effect? My thinking is the background check and long wait for the license will negate the need for the wait. If this has been discussed I'm sorry to revisit this, couldn't find it with the search puzzle.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    After October 1st when I/we get a HQL will the 7 day wait period still be in effect? My thinking is the background check and long wait for the license will negate the need for the wait. If this has been discussed I'm sorry to revisit this, couldn't find it with the search puzzle.

wrong, been covered

30 days for hql, then wait for gun

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    You're optimistic about the 30-day part for the HQL. Most dealers, and the MSP, are assuming wait times of 6 months or more.

But other than that, you are correct. The 7 day wait per handgun is independent of the HQL.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    You're optimistic about the 30-day part for the HQL. Most dealers, and the MSP, are assuming wait times of 6 months or more.

But other than that, you are correct. The 7 day wait per handgun is independent of the HQL.

I thought the law stated it had to be approved in 30 days

edit
    sb281 states"WITHIN 30 DAYS AFTER RECEIVING A PROPERLY 13 COMPLETED APPLICATION, THE SECRETARY SHALL ISSUE TO THE APPLICANT
    (I) A HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE IF THE 15 APPLICANT IS APPROVED; OR 16
    (II) A WRITTEN DENIAL OF THE APPLICATION THAT 17 CONTAINS:"

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring

:lol2: :lol2: The law states a lot of things that we as lawful citizens have to obey but, it seems our state officials get a pass on it.

It will be a small miracle if someone gets their HQL within 30 days of filing. :mad54:

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    :lol2: :lol2: The law states a lot of things that we as lawful citizens have to obey but, it seems our state officials get a pass on it.

It will be a small miracle if someone gets their HQL within 30 days of filing. :mad54:

And an even BIGGER miracle if anyone is actually able to pick up a handgun during the month of October.:mad54:

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

If you approach every question like this from the perspective of a legislature/executive trying to make it progressively harder and harder to exercise your second amendment rights, it's easy to answer.

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    The whole thing is done to discourage lawful people from going through the process, and our dear leaders consider it a political win. In the real world the proportion of criminals with guns vs. non-criminals is getting better for the criminals.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County

edit
    sb281 states"WITHIN 30 DAYS AFTER RECEIVING A PROPERLY 13 COMPLETED APPLICATION, THE SECRETARY SHALL ISSUE TO THE APPLICANT
    (I) A HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE IF THE 15 APPLICANT IS APPROVED; OR 16
    (II) A WRITTEN DENIAL OF THE APPLICATION THAT 17 CONTAINS:"

I'm aware of what the law states. But given that we had to take Maryland to court to get them to confirm to dealers that they could actually release on the 8th day, nobody is expecting this to happen.

It's one thing to release a gun after 7 days because you didn't get disapproved without your background check finishing. It's another thing entirely to get your HQL approved after 30 days without your background check finishing. Basically, MSP is saying "Yes, you're okay to buy handguns" without doing a background check.

See the problem there?

Most dealers I've talked to aren't expecting to do any more handgun sales in 2013 after September 21.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    You wish, dude.

The new requirements grant you nothing.

Just one more layer of expense, hassle and bureaucracy on top of the ******** we already go through to buy a gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom