• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...ck-prosecution-under-Trump-edict-15734194.php

TLDR:
    Huston prosecutors drop case against man for having a bump stock in his possession because retired ATF firearms expert would have said it doesn’t make a semi auto firearm a machine gun.

“But Rick Vasquez, a retired ATF agent and firearms expert, would have told the court the bump stock did not meet the statutory definition of a machine gun. The prosecution dismissed case, he said, because the government couldn’t prove beyond a reasonable doubt the bump stock was a machine gun.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    The D MO has been to:
    1) Ban an item
    2) confiscate/destroy/remove as many as possible
    3) Let citizens pay attorneys fees
    4) Just say "whoops"

Their next step and I believe they are thinking this way, change the constitution. They are seeing their ATF rule changing is failing so ....

I Could Be Wrong.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    The D MO has been to:
    1) Ban an item
    4) Just say "whoops"

Their next step and I believe they are thinking this way, change the constitution. They are seeing their ATF rule changing is failing so ....

I Could Be Wrong.

I know it probably isn’t going to go anywhere but I saw that there was a bill introduced like a year or two ago that was to disband the ATF. I would absolutely love to see that happen but I doubt it will. But there is always hope.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    b6a2ad62f544bd23b23c2ef05c121398.jpg

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The D MO has been to:
    1) Ban an item
    4) Just say "whoops"

I Could Be Wrong.

You're not wrong. They also know that citizens are paying the attorney fees on BOTH sides of the issue. And they couldn't care less, given zero skin in the game.

What a racket.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Too often we run away from the fight to retain our rights. This proves that when you stand up to the man you have the opportunity to present your case and win, i.e. get the man to back down. It is not always easy protecting the chipping away of our rights but, it is a necessary fight.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Too often we run away from the fight to retain our rights. This proves that when you stand up to the man you have the opportunity to present your case and win, i.e. get the man to back down. It is not always easy protecting the chipping away of our rights but, it is a necessary fight.

This

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    This is why someone needs to form a militia armed with bumpstocks. 3D printer go brrrr. Make the bumpstocks the property of the militia as a group to make prosecution focused away from the individual. Only when people stand together will change happen.

Badger1

MDS Supporter
    Jun 21, 2017
    The D MO has been to:
    1) Ban an item
    4) Just say "whoops"

I Could Be Wrong.

I also suspect they will try to use the "common use for lawful purposes" from Heller / McDonald. IE, if they can ban something early, or for long enough, then it won't be in common use.

I know those decision are mostly good, but Scalia bent over backwards to avoid overruling NFA/FOPA. And in so doing, he gave the grabbers a strategy to ban anything by acting early to prevent it from reaching the "in common use" threshold.

The D MO has been to:
    1) Ban an item
    4) Just say "whoops"

I Could Be Wrong.

this is their MO for ALL gun control...they simply pass so many gun control laws that it is financially impossible for all of the challenges so the laws stand..

What we really need is a constitutional amendment that requires any bill at any level of government that potentially violates any of the first 10 amendments to be ruled constitutional BEFORE it can be passed as law. Americans are innocent until proven guilty, bills should be proven to be constitutional before becoming law...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't know about "standing up for our rights", so called. The guy was trying to stay out of jail, which by the way, is probably where he belongs. Or maybe a mental institution. The guy sounds like a nut.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    This is why someone needs to form a militia armed with bumpstocks. 3D printer go brrrr. Make the bumpstocks the property of the militia as a group to make prosecution focused away from the individual. Only when people stand together will change happen.

A group of individuals acting together to plan and commit criminal acts.

RICO
    Conspiracy charges.
    Anti-gang statutes.

I am all for making stupid laws go away but that doesn't sound like the way to do it. IANAL.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    A group of individuals acting together to plan and commit criminal acts.

RICO

Conspiracy charges.

Anti-gang statutes.

I am all for making stupid laws go away but that doesn't sound like the way to do it. IANAL.
    Compliance is the only reason we have the gun control we already have. Isn't the whole message of patriot picket "we will not comply"? Mass non-compliance is a valuable tool.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    https://nclalegal.org/wp-content/up...estern-District-Austin-Div.-ruling-_FINAL.pdf

NCLA Will Appeal Trial Judge’s Flawed Ruling that Bump Stocks Are “Machineguns” to Fifth Circuit
    Michael Cargill v. William Barr, et al.
    Washington, DC (November 25, 2020) – The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas rendered a
    decision on Tuesday in the case of Michael Cargill v. William Barr, et al., concluding that NCLA client
    Michael Cargill of Austin, Texas is not entitled to legally possess a bump stock because bump stocks have
    always been “machineguns” under federal law. NCLA is seeking to overturn the federal ban on bump stocks
    issued Dec. 26, 2018 by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and to halt its
    enforcement, because NCLA believes federal agencies do not have the power to alter federal statutes. NCLA
    believes that if the federal government wants to outlaw bump stocks, Congress has to do it.

NCLA released the following statement:
    “The court’s decision rests on the dubious conclusion that bump stocks have always been prohibited, even
    though ATF’s official stance for years was that these devices are not machineguns. No other court in the
    country has accepted the government’s argument to that effect. We look forward to the Fifth Circuit Court of
    Appeals swiftly reversing this decision.”
    – Caleb Kruckenberg, NCLA Litigation Counsel

One of the most important principles in administrative law, The “Chevron Deference” is a term coined after a landmark case, Chevron U.S.A., Inc. v. Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc., 468 U.S. 837 (1984), referring to the doctrine of judicial deference given to administrative actions.

I think to either Chevron Deference or Marburg v Madison

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Unless the law changes, their responsibilities would just be handed to another Federal LE org. NFA wouldn't go away.

SCOTUS could make it go away. Certainly big chunks of it, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom