• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    On the way to the governor with veto-proof margins in both houses :party29:
    https://www.keloland.com/news/capit...sends-legislation-to-governor-noem/1737465915

She has 5 days to sign, veto, or let it become law without her signature. My bet is she signs it.

This also looks to be one of the strongest constitutional carry laws in the country. Non-residents are covered, and it looks like 18-20 y/o are also covered since I see no age mention in the bill and 18 y/o can OC. https://legiscan.com/SD/text/SB47/2019

isn't McMaster still governor?

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    It's official.

Gov. Kristi Noem signs 'constitutional carry' bill into law

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/s...cle_d21467b2-156f-5aa3-9997-b202ec57bcbb.html

PIERRE, S.D. (AP) — Gov. Kristi Noem has signed a measure allowing people to carry concealed pistols without a permit in South Dakota.
    The Republican governor on Thursday approved the measure, making it the first bill Noem has signed into law. Noem says it will further protect the Second Amendment rights of the citizens of South Dakota and the nation.

It's a win for conservatives who have long pushed the proposal, which languished under former Gov. Dennis Daugaard.

It's currently a misdemeanor for someone to carry a concealed pistol or to have one concealed in a vehicle without a permit.

The South Dakota Sheriffs' Association opposed the measure, contending current limitations under the permit process are reasonable.

The law will take effect July 1. South Dakota will join at least 13 states that allow the practice.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    It's official.

Gov. Kristi Noem signs 'constitutional carry' bill into law

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/s...cle_d21467b2-156f-5aa3-9997-b202ec57bcbb.html

PIERRE, S.D. (AP) — Gov. Kristi Noem has signed a measure allowing people to carry concealed pistols without a permit in South Dakota.
    The Republican governor on Thursday approved the measure, making it the first bill Noem has signed into law. Noem says it will further protect the Second Amendment rights of the citizens of South Dakota and the nation.

It's a win for conservatives who have long pushed the proposal, which languished under former Gov. Dennis Daugaard.

It's currently a misdemeanor for someone to carry a concealed pistol or to have one concealed in a vehicle without a permit.

The South Dakota Sheriffs' Association opposed the measure, contending current limitations under the permit process are reasonable.

The law will take effect July 1. South Dakota will join at least 13 states that allow the practice.

Are the SD Sheriffs being influenced by someone or are they just control freaks?

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Taking fox at their word, which may not be the best idea, they mention residents.

The state’s new Republican governor, Kristi Noem, signed SB 47 into law Thursday. The legislation permits residents to legally carry a firearm concealed on their person so long as they are allowed to possess one.

Also, per the article, the limit was added by request of dums and Leo’s. You know, looking out for JohnQ’s Best interest and all.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/so...te-to-allow-concealed-handguns-without-permit

krucam

Ultimate Member

Attachments

• Right_to_Carry,_timeline.gif
      Right_to_Carry,_timeline.gif
      85.2 KB · Views: 139

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Taking fox at their word, which may not be the best idea, they mention residents.

Also, per the article, the limit was added by request of dums and Leo’s. You know, looking out for JohnQ’s Best interest and all.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/so...te-to-allow-concealed-handguns-without-permit

I heard otherwise, as reported here (last paragraph)

https://www.argusleader.com/story/n...ional-carry-into-law-south-dakota/2730395002/

Looking to the actual bill she signed,

https://legiscan.com/SD/text/SB47/id/1880179/South_Dakota-2019-SB47-Enrolled.pdf

it just removes all of the sections that used to say "can't do [this] without a permit". I don't see any remnants stating that you can do anything with a permit that you can't do w/out.

Re: Reasons for state residents only:
    Are the SD Sheriffs being influenced by someone or are they just control freaks?

The claimed excuse is The Rally (aka "Sturgis" for those on the coasts). Local LE wants ability to disarm rival clubs before the trouble starts.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    In my experience they make up their own rules on the fly. I was once stopped and told "no motorcycles allowed on this road." No signage, and I'd seen other bikes. OTOH, stopping for gas one night in Mission (on the Rosebud) was probably he only time I've been really glad to have a gun in North or South Dakota or Wyoming, states I'm normally not so paranoid in.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    In my experience they make up their own rules on the fly. I was once stopped and told "no motorcycles allowed on this road." No signage, and I'd seen other bikes. OTOH, stopping for gas one night in Mission (on the Rosebud) was probably he only time I've been really glad to have a gun in North or South Dakota or Wyoming, states I'm normally not so paranoid in.

Stopped for gas once on tribal turf in SD, and it turned into a genuinely scary situation. Wife and I were happy to get out without what felt like an imminent and violent event. Place looked deserted, with an unattended pay-at-the-pump arrangement. Scanned around, pulled in, paid the robot, and started pumping gas. Out of freakin' nowhere appear half a dozen dudes, most clearly drunk, who start approaching the doors on the truck. I'm outside. I motioned for my wife (inside) to lock the doors.

Some very anxious minutes while three of the guys were in my face asking incoherent questions about what was in the carrier on top of the truck, what kind of dogs were in the crates, how much money we had ... and one of the guys starts picking at his fingernails with a large knife. The other three were cupping hands to faces and through the Suburban's tinted windows.

No cell coverage there, of course. Wife was fishing around for one of our shotguns (we were on a bird hunting trip) when the only other vehicle for a hundred miles popped up over a rise a few hundred yards off, and the local dudes shifted from menacing to aimlessly milling around the gas lot. I pulled the pump handle out, judged best I could, and wife strategically unlocked to let me jump behind the wheel. Pulled on the shoulder a quarter mile down to close up the gas port, and then we made some really good time to the next patch of civilization, arriving on fumes. Lots of lessons learned that day. Our friends in SD said, "You stopped WHERE? You're lucky you're alive."

The searing memory of how helpless I felt in that situation directly informed my urge to fight Maryland's rights-rationing system and pursue my carry permit. But I also recognize how really, really badly it might have gone if I'd actually pulled out a gun under those circumstances. The drunk guy with the knife out would have been legal cover, but it could have been a fatal disaster all the way around. Lesson for me: keep the tank full, and don't get into situations like that in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom