• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I acquired an old Mossberg 151K years ago. It was in OK shape then, and due to my negligence over the years, is in no better condition now. Part of my negligence has been due to the fact that the rifle has never run well, with multiple misfires per magazine. I have run all kinds of different ammo through the gun (following the manufacturer's instructions to run the high-velocity stuff) to try and find one that it likes, but I fear the issue is with the gun itself. (Firing pin maybe?)

I enjoy bringing all kinds of things "back to life", be it firearms, bikes, old furniture, you name it...but this rifle appears to be a project whose funds would be better spent elsewhere (considering the cost of brand new .22's). I was hoping to field some of your suggestions/perspectives on what to do in a situation like this: low value rifle with poor functionality that is beyond my ability to repair alone. I will also note that this gun has no sentimental value to me or my family.

Thanks in advance!

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I acquired an old Mossberg 151K years ago. It was in OK shape then, and due to my negligence over the years, is in no better condition now. Part of my negligence has been due to the fact that the rifle has never run well, with multiple misfires per magazine. I have run all kinds of different ammo through the gun (following the manufacturer's instructions to run the high-velocity stuff) to try and find one that it likes, but I fear the issue is with the gun itself. (Firing pin maybe?)

I enjoy bringing all kinds of things "back to life", be it firearms, bikes, old furniture, you name it...but this rifle appears to be a project whose funds would be better spent elsewhere (considering the cost of brand new .22's). I was hoping to field some of your suggestions/perspectives on what to do in a situation like this: low value rifle with poor functionality that is beyond my ability to repair alone. I will also note that this gun has no sentimental value to me or my family.

Thanks in advance!
    Have you started with a detail strip and cleaning? I have an old S&W model 41, and it misfired quite a bit. When I detail stripped it, I discovered that the firing pin channel was all lacquered up by oil getting in there over the years and drying out. Some time with acetone and a nylon brush and the misfire issue was cured.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Have you started with a detail strip and cleaning? I have an old S&W model 41, and it misfired quite a bit. When I detail stripped it, I discovered that the firing pin channel was all lacquered up by oil getting in there over the years and drying out. Some time with acetone and a nylon brush and the misfire issue was cured.

I once acquired a free bolt action 22 that was so gummed up the bolt barely moved with using lots of force and several days of soaking in penetrant.

If you don't want the gun any more post it up forsale. I'm sure there are other on this board that would love a cheap project. Me included

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County

Thanks in advance!

Hope you're able to get it working again.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Old .22?

Take it out to pasture and shoot it... :D

If you see no value in it, then offer it up for karma or sell it cheap to someone who will futz with it. At the very least maybe there's a few parts that'll come in handy.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Maybe this is your entry into being an armourer. If the rifle has no sentimental value, make it your first project. I agree with detail stripping first. Often, this reveals the problem... it might be instalation of a new part. Good luck!

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Wow. A 151k. I have one way back in the safe, next to the rem 514 and winchester 75. Have had it for a mere 59 years. Haven’t shot it for decades, but it was a lot of fun. Big gun for a 22. Hope u figure it out and enjoy it. A good ct firearm from the good old days.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    if you don't want it or waste your time and $ simple get rid of it, your looking
    for return on investment if that's the case once again get rid of it. Picked up
    some High Standard Victors and Trophy 22 pistols cheap all that was wrong with
    them is the guy must of soaked them in oil, they wouldn't function even after cleaning,
    so gunsmith bound, cost more than what I paid for them, was nothing major, but hey
    they shoot nice now, maybe not a good comparison but... or my dads JC Higgins 22 semi
    auto rifle (Sears) it took some work but works great...older firearms are nice and
    may need some work if left to decay, just like classic cars....

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom