• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I have a Trim-it case trimmer for .223 and .308 which works really fast and is better than the hand cranked trimmer I had before. The setup takes some time since you would adjust it a little bit at a time and measure the final cut, but once it's set, you wouldn't change it.
    https://www.brownells.com/reloading...immers/trim-it-ii-case-trimmer-prod80329.aspx

Wabbit, it appears that the Trim-it requires a hand drill or a press with a minimum 3/8 inch chuck. Is that correct?

Curious, as I know the Little Crow WFT2 requires a minimum 1/2 inch chuck. And though the WFT2 is similarly designed with the bushing insert concept, it doesn't chamfer and deburr, nor does it have the micrometer feature.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So, I am relatively new to the case trimming game, but I've been using an RCBS Power Trim Pro in conjunction with a Lyman Case Prep Xpress with some success. I pop the resized case into the trimmer, pull the lever to "go", wait a second for the trim, pull the lever back to stop, pull the case, and then deal with fixing the case mouth and primer pocket. I could probably speed that up somewhat if I used the RCBS Trim Pro 3-way cutter (which would presumably fully finish the case mouth on the trimmer), but I'm otherwise pretty happy with the system for volume case prep. If anything, I feel like a faster way of priming and depriming than my single-stage would be more my concern - I'm pondering getting the Harvey deprimer and the Lee bench primer system and seeing how that goes.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    So, I am relatively new to the case trimming game, but I've been using an RCBS Power Trim Pro in conjunction with a Lyman Case Prep Xpress with some success. I pop the resized case into the trimmer, pull the lever to "go", wait a second for the trim, pull the lever back to stop, pull the case, and then deal with fixing the case mouth and primer pocket. I could probably speed that up somewhat if I used the RCBS Trim Pro 3-way cutter (which would presumably fully finish the case mouth on the trimmer), but I'm otherwise pretty happy with the system for volume case prep. If anything, I feel like a faster way of priming and depriming than my single-stage would be more my concern - I'm pondering getting the Harvey deprimer and the Lee bench primer system and seeing how that goes.

I'll have to look into that setup for case trimming. For me depriming is part of resizing on my Dillon 550... after resizing, it's off to case trimming and primer pocket prep.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Wabbit, it appears that the Trim-it requires a hand drill or a press with a minimum 3/8 inch chuck. Is that correct?

Curious, as I know the Little Crow WFT2 requires a minimum 1/2 inch chuck. And though the WFT2 is similarly designed with the bushing insert concept, it doesn't chamfer and deburr, nor does it have the micrometer feature.

Yes, the shaft on my Trim-it cutter fits a 3/8 drill, and I use it with a corded drill since my cordless Makita doesn't last too long on one charge. All the work is in the setup and fine adjustment, but once it's adjusted, the trimmer works really well for large batches of brass. I have two collets for .308 and .223.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I have a Forster I got in the '80s that I mounted to a board and C-clamp to the desk when I need it. It's been reliable for trimming and reaming conversion brass. I also have several Lee trimmers for mass trimming, like Military 7.62 and 30-06. Chuck the shellholder in a drill. Some times the Lee trimmers can be a pain if you don't get the holder ring tight and the knurling will eat your finger tips tightening them. But they're less tiring than the hand crank and collet on the Forster.
    Primer pocket crimps I swage out with an RCBS set in my old Lyman Spartan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom