• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    If you can make it to Nation's Gun Show, DAG Ammo has Bosnian brass cased 9mm at $189 per case of 1000. It's Tulammo Brassmaxx in the little plastic tubs. They also have Tulammo steel at $169 per case I think it was. I won't pay more than $0.20 a round for brass, and $0.17 a round for steel.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Only if you the time and enjoy the process, looks like you did. Otherwise, I shoot mine anywhere from $7-$10 per box any day

It takes me roughly 1.5 hours to load 1,000 rounds. And if I load 147s, I'm spending less on a box of 50 versus how much you spend on loaded cheap WWB 115s. Reloading isn't the most fun thing to do, but it beats watching overpaid people in uniforms playing childrens games.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    $0.075 per lead bullet (115gr lead Bad Man Bullets)
    $0.025 per primer (S&B)
    $0.0073 for Powder (Titegroup)
    Brass is range pickup.

Roughly $0.11 per round. 50 rounds totals $5.365. 1000 rounds is $107.30.

It takes me roughly 1.5 hours to load 1,000 rounds. And if I load 147s, I'm spending less on a box of 50 versus how much you spend on loaded cheap WWB 115s. Reloading isn't the most fun thing to do, but it beats watching overpaid people in uniforms playing childrens games.

But, how long to pay off all of the reloading tools that you have to buy?

Walmart has Perfecta brass, and Federal aluminum, for less than 10 bucks per box of 50 every day of the week...and you don't have to crawl around on the floor picking it back up, lol.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    But, how long to pay off all of the reloading tools that you have to buy?

Walmart has Perfecta brass, and Federal aluminum, for less than 10 bucks per box of 50 every day of the week...and you don't have to crawl around on the floor picking it back up, lol.

When I loaded up 1000 rounds of 44-40, the savings from factory ammo equaled the cost of my Lee Turret Press. The amount of money I saved using my reloading gear versus buying factory ammo was surpassed about 10 years ago. That includes buying the Dillon 550 setup last year. Plus I could shoot what I wanted while everyone was going from store to store looking for ammunition over the last 8 years.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    The amount of money I saved using my reloading gear versus buying factory ammo was surpassed about 10 years ago

But, how long did it take you to get to the point, of being able to say you had broken even? Where you were 10 years ago?

I shoot a fair amount, but really do not have the space, time, or even a desire, to reload. Just can't see how it'd be worthwhile, although it'd be nice to not ever worry about finding ammo, during the next artificial shortage. ;)

Using your figures above, of roughly $100 per 1000 to reload, for 9mm, compared to roughly $200 to buy it, ready to shoot, I'm just curious how long it REALLY, honestly takes to actually be of any benefit, financially, since you,ve obviously been doing it for a while.

I mean if the reloading tools, dies, cutters, presses, powders, etc. are bought for even just a grand, that's 10,000 rounds of 9mm before it's even money.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Loading common rounds IMO is a lost cause for savings.

Where it pays off is when you reload larger rounds/harder to find stuff. What's the going rate for 30.06 now?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    But, how long did it take you to get to the point, of being able to say you had broken even? Where you were 10 years ago?

I shoot a fair amount, but really do not have the space, time, or even a desire, to reload. Just can't see how it'd be worthwhile, although it'd be nice to not ever worry about finding ammo, during the next artificial shortage. ;)

Using your figures above, of roughly $100 per 1000 to reload, for 9mm, compared to roughly $200 to buy it, ready to shoot, I'm just curious how long it REALLY, honestly takes to actually be of any benefit, financially, since you,ve obviously been doing it for a while.

I mean if the reloading tools, dies, cutters, presses, powders, etc. are bought for even just a grand, that's 10,000 rounds of 9mm before it's even money.

Okay, the average shooter runs a few boxes of ammo a year through their spiffy new Roscoe. When I'm actively shooting competitions, I run through 3-400 rounds a week. This is just USPSA or 3-gun shooting, using 9mm and .223. If I'm knee deep in Cowboy Action shooting, using either 32-20 or 44-40 ammunition, where a box of 50 goes for $50, it becomes cost effective within a month. And it's a good skill to have, and the equipment is great to have on hand when needed.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Loading common rounds IMO is a lost cause for savings.

Where it pays off is when you reload larger rounds/harder to find stuff. What's the going rate for 30.06 now?

Federal Gold Medal Match is nearly $2 per round, while Hornady is $1.50 per and Creedmoor Sports is over $1.30 per. My .30/06 match loads are $0.35-0.38 per and I budget 30 per week for live fire.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My usual response -

If you shoot very popular cal , and are ok with the accuracy of generic ammo, the savings per se are only incremental to reload.

If you :

1. Shoot less popular cal ( most cal that are not 9mm or .223 , partially .40, .45acp,.308 ) the savings are much larger.

2. Want specific characteristics, ie really good accuracy, different bullet weight or construction, particular velocities either higher or lower , reloading is your game.

3. You enjoy reloading itself. Either the precision assembling, or load devlopement.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    SGammo.com is my go-to site for common ammo. Prices and shipping are usually reasonable. Get on their mailing list to see the deals.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    When I loaded up 1000 rounds of 44-40, the savings from factory ammo equaled the cost of my Lee Turret Press. The amount of money I saved using my reloading gear versus buying factory ammo was surpassed about 10 years ago. That includes buying the Dillon 550 setup last year. Plus I could shoot what I wanted while everyone was going from store to store looking for ammunition over the last 8 years.

I don't know if I'd ever get into reloading. But when I look at firearms, I consider the cost of 'food' for it. The 44-40 is ~60¢/rnd before shipping. A 45-70 is ~$1.10/rnd before shipping. I don't presently have anything that shoots those rounds, but I think I'd like to. http://ammoseek.com/ammo/45-70?ca=brass&sh=high Ammoseek is useful for more than just looking for ammunition. For now I have 9mm at 21¢/rnd and various types of 223 at ~35¢/rnd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom